gunter

Period Patterns # 93

dear fellow crafters,

I am looking for someone who has the patternpack of period patterns,

Period patterns #93, it's a pack of patterns on med-evil pouches and med-evil things. Is there onyone who has this pack, that can tell me if this patternpack is wild to get or buy or just to leave it aside?

thanks for your input :You_Rock_Emoticon::red_bandana::gathering::feedback:

I do have the pack and I've never actually opened it. Guess I'll have to do that this week-end. Have you ever had a Period Pattern? If you are interested in that period, the patterns actually come with a lot of historical information to document their choice in patterns. So you don`t just have the pattern but the source and date of that particular pattern. For some people, that's very important. If you're the type that likes to tinker by making their own pattern, I'm not sure the pattern is worth it. If you're not the type to make patterns or want to have something that is historically accurate (or at least properly researched), I think the package is worth it.

There are other patterns on the net for pouches for free and you can easily "inspire" yourself by looking at other pouches on the net.

Here is a tutorial with pictures (it`s in French) about making an "aumoniere" (or large pouch) if you want a free pouch pattern that looks medieval Trollcalibur: Aumoniere tutorial. It`s from a LARP site but I've worn by pouch in a number of medieval events with compliments on my pouch.

of course there is always the book "Purses in Pieces" Which I have been told is very good.

it is a book about the real deal.

I have the pack and I will tell you, it's one of the more sought after and expensive packs you can get, I think that I paid almost $45 for mine. If memory serves it has something like 20-25 patterns.

I would say if your in the SCA or LARP or similar get it.

45 dollars ? ? wow

here it is for about 16.00

http://pillagedvillage.com/~pillaged/cgi-bin/cart.cgi/MP_093.html

my favorite store (well it has to be my SCA Mom works there)

I would advise you to sign onto the chat board at www.xmarksthescot.com and get into the DIY board. There are some excellent leather workers there- particularly Thorffin and Artificer- who can help you. They make sporrans, which if you don't know are the bags that kilt wearers wear around our waists. This is an example from one of the works in progress threads going on over there right now:

IMG_0021.JPG

They'll set you up with the information and patterns that you will ever need to make any kind of medieval bag or pouch. Thank me in three days after you've read and absorbed so much information from those guys that you can no longer remember what your project was!!

Hey,

Thanks for your replies fellow crafters, the thing is that I normaly only do Western Americana leather things, like gunbelts and stuff. But since a while people are coming up to me for european mid-evil material aswell, and I must say I like making these historical era too :-). I'm european, so for some reasn I can putt myself and soul into this period, if you know what I mean. I came up onto this pattern pack on ebay, but before bying a certain pattern pack I like to have some info of other crafters onto it. I only work with leather for fun to "escape" the real world and relax, so every penny I spend into my hobby I wish to spend well, as we all wanna do isn't it?

Nice Sporran!!! would love to know how you made it !!!!!!

thanks for the info and advice !!!!

cheers,

G.