Thistledown

Leather Bottell

Here's a pic of a medieval-style "Leather Bottell" I made a few years ago when I was doing medieval re-enactment stuff. Please excuse the marks - I managed to spill some of the molten pitch that coats the interior of the flask while I was pouring it inside. The pitch waterproofs the leather very well, just don't use and spirits or you'll dissolve it - yech :( This was a first-time project, no decorations, just to see if the project was practical.

post-16244-086127000 1283061644_thumb.jp

Edited by Thistledown

The stains just makes it more realistic :-)

Whish I could pick your brain about making one of these bottles, and where in the world do I get "molten pitch" and what it it really?

I think it's Pine Pitch

and that's a nice bottell!

The stains just makes it more realistic :-)

Whish I could pick your brain about making one of these bottles, and where in the world do I get "molten pitch" and what it it really?

Generally I use a mixture on brewers (pine) pitch and bees wax to coat the inside of mugs and bottles. Both are readily available on the internet and are relatively cheap. They are sold by the pound most places. As for molten a double boiler works really well although not necessary, whatever you heat it up in don't expect to use it for anything else ever again. also I would suggest covering anything you don't want ruined.