pat h

Singer 31-15

i have a chance to buy a singer 31-15 i want it to sew thin leathers. wallet thickness. i have a tippman boss to sew the heavy stuff. the guy wants 50 for the machine he picked it up at an auction a few years ago and used it for a few canvas projects. would the machine do what i want it to do without any problems?

i have a chance to buy a singer 31-15 i want it to sew thin leathers. wallet thickness. i have a tippman boss to sew the heavy stuff. the guy wants 50 for the machine he picked it up at an auction a few years ago and used it for a few canvas projects. would the machine do what i want it to do without any problems?

I sew wallets on mine. For $50, why not try it out as you can always get rid of it without taking a hit on resale.

I've been sewing belts on mine for years. Don King recommended it to me. I used to comment to Barry King what a nice stitch he had on so many projects. He always said he sewed it on a 31-15. For $50.00 you can't lose. Around here they bring $200.00 and up. A lot of guys used to sew boot tops on them. There are newer and better machines but it will do what you want.

Edited by TroyWest

what size needles and what kind and size of thread should i use?

I use white poly thread size 92 with a 21 needle. I get it from Campbell.

well i got it and picked up needles thread and a roller foot. it sews great. it sure goes fast compaired to the tippman boss LOL

Congratulations and happy sewing.

Yes,they are great machines & for a better looking stitch you can use a #20 when sewing w/#92 thd.

I have some customers are even using#138.

What's nice about the 31-15 is that parts are still available & all kinds of different feet too.

Bob

I love mine. And I paid $400!

For wallet edges I'd reccommend a thread size 46 or 69 with needle size 12 or 14 respectively.

Use a round point needle to avoid cutting the thred when you cross over on any given stitch pattern.

It's best to sew with your right hand constanly on the flywheel. A loose leather belt will slip and give you a little slower stitch.

And remember, "Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permantent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.".

Good luck.

Yes,they are great machines & for a better looking stitch you can use a #20 when sewing w/#92 thd.

I have some customers are even using#138.

What's nice about the 31-15 is that parts are still available & all kinds of different feet too.

Bob

Thanks for the tip Bob. Do you carry these feet, and what size needle would you recommend to sew with 138 thread?

Troy