Here's a pair of mukluks I made a while ago, they're built around a pair of sorel liners and made of moose hide. The fur uppers are beaver.

post-16588-090575200 1283984153_thumb.jp

post-16588-099893500 1283984175_thumb.jp

Here's a pair of mukluks I made a while ago, they're built around a pair of sorel liners and made of moose hide. The fur uppers are beaver.

Those look really comfy. The bead work and fur trim are nice touches. Thanks for posting photos of them!

Kate

Cool.

The plug looks machine stitched. Is it?

How'd you line them?

Love the bead work.

Cool.

The plug looks machine stitched. Is it?

How'd you line them?

Love the bead work.

Thank you! The whole project is hand stitched. The liners are removeable, and storebought. http://www.sorel.com/replacement-boot-liners/liners,default,sc.html?sz=1&start=7 Muks are great with just a felt liner so long as you keep moving, but with these I can actually stand around without my feet turning into blocks of ice.

I bet that prime hair-on beaver skin you used on the outside has LOTS to do with warmth. I once made a hat out of that stuff--with a chrome tanned deerskin inside-the-hat sweat band and if it was warmer than 10 degrees F it was TOO HOT!

It had a horrible demise. Seems the sweat, chrome tanned deer and tanned-hair-on beaver pelt reacted to literally make the beaver skin brittle and basically EAT the leather. Anyone know what caused that?

Sparks

Thank you! The whole project is hand stitched. The liners are removeable, and storebought. http://www.sorel.com...ml?sz=1&start=7 Muks are great with just a felt liner so long as you keep moving, but with these I can actually stand around without my feet turning into blocks of ice.