Hilly

Guitar Strap Question

I'm not a guitar player, so I don't have a clue... Can someone please post a pic, and describe how this 2 piece guitar strap goes together? It's the PDF file in the first reply.

The only guitar strap I ever saw was a one piece nylon webbing kinda thing, that adjusted like a nylon dog collar.

The smaller strap will be threaded through the slots on the larger strap so that you will have a hole at either end of the strap to attach the guitar to.

Not a great picture, but it's the only one I have. Someone else will probably chime in with a better pic.

post-11917-036942100 1286290939_thumb.jp

Hope this helps.

Thread it though one hole keeping the big end of the short strap on the bottom of the strap. Then go down one slot / hole and thread it back through the big end of the short strap. Then take the end and thread through a slot/hole on the top hook it to you guitar and you set.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/dirtclod50/stuff%20i%20made/G1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/dirtclod50/stuff%20i%20made/G2.jpg

Edited by dirtclod

Thanks a lot, guys! That clears up that mystery :Lighten:

What's a good weight leather to use to make a guitar strap? Would you line it? If so, what do you prefer to use for lining?

I use 3/4 ounce to make the strap and line it with 3/4 ounce slick leather / hair side out on both pieces. But you should probley ask because i had a couple of folks that wanted suede on the inside.

Some players prefer the suede so ones set on the shoulder it doesnt slip. Bass players tend to want a wider strap that doesnt slip more so then rhythm or lead players.Infact I often need to move the guiatr around some when I play so I can hit Barre chorde at different areas of attack so a smooth liner for me is my preference.It all comes down to the players preference. Whats more important to me is the attachment to the guitar, some straps are simply built wrong and pop off.

This picture should give you an idea of how the strap is assembled, you adjust it by starting the weave through different holes, I usually measure against an existing strap they are using and position the adjustable piece to match their current strap.

Hope this helps.

Ken

post-6362-083137400 1287520770_thumb.jpg

So I don't get it! If you are making custom straps make a custom strap!! I think this patters is just ugly and I wouldn't put anything like it on my guitar.

What I do is find the exact measurement of the current strap from point to point. If there are two buttons, then I make it as attached. If it is going to the peghead, then I will make a small strap that will fit under the strings and stitch a buckle on the other end or just use a latigo lace.

I usually add the first name on the front of the strap and the full name on the back. so I also get the measurement of where the strap crosses the shoulder. I do have a number of attachment options on both ends the button to button style which will give a few inches of adjustment either way without the ugly woven widget. (See pic)

I make mostly banjo straps and have started making guitar straps on commission. Custom is custom! Why compete with The Guitar Center?

post-47325-0-78770400-1393504057_thumb.j

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ