Sign in to follow this  
rcsaddles

14 Strand Roo Hide Belt

This is a 14 strand I made for a friend last week. The pattern is called Shadow Diamond. I plan on making the opposite to see how it looks. I really kind of like the pattern.

th_14strandbelt.jpg

Edited by rcsaddles

Beautiful work, RC

Nice work, I love the shadow effect it creates from a distance.

I think the whip I recently made for a friend would match a belt pattern like that perfectly.

If you were going to add 2 strands of another colour (pink) (in a mix of natural and purple), where would you put them in the sequence?

is that a d ring belt? and if so did you twist the strands so the flesh side is in on the end of the belt when it is in use?

I want to do some flat braiding like that but I can't get the back braiding right. I gave it up for a while, nice to know there is someone that can do it. It looks very nice and I love the colors!

oh yeah i forgot to say...really nice work. your braid came out really smooth and even. when i do that aussie flat braiding i have to work really hard to make sure my tension stays even because just like my knitting i pull it too tight.

That's a very nice belt! Nice pattern too.

Thanks everyone. Lets see if I can answer all the questions.

That looks pretty cool. How do you attache the buckle? Megabit, I back braided the end and used a black Chicago screw. The customer wanted to add his own buckle.

is that a d ring belt? and if so did you twist the strands so the flesh side is in on the end of the belt when it is in use? Tracy, I did not twist the strand at the beginning because it won't have double rings to be pulled through. Also, the biggest thing I have learned is when braiding, "pull tight, plait loose". Every time I pick up a strand I pull it before I braid it. Makes it easier to pull through and also helps me pull evenly. If I think about keeping it even I will mess up so I have learned to just braid and not think about that part.

If you were going to add 2 strands of another colour (pink) (in a mix of natural and purple), where would you put them in the sequence? 8thsinner, I'm not sure how to answer this. I don't think it would work as a 16 strand but as a 14 strand, I would use 2 purple, 2 pink and then three natural.

I will be making another one just the opposite in a few days so will post it when finished.

Thanks again.