I'm not much of a klutz, but I think I've spilled more Angelus Dye than actually used it. Nothing against the dye itself, it actually is very good, but I've ruined a couple projects because of the bottles. I don't think it's me, because I've never tipped over the Fiebings 4 oz squareish bottles, but again, the possibility of a spill with an open bottle is there and it'd be even worse with Fiebing's wide mouth bottles emptying even faster.

I think what I'm going to do is get a bunch of squeeze bottles with twist caps to put all my dyes in. Then it'll kill 2 birds with one stone, I won't be spilling much, I can squirt directly onto a rag or into an airbrush cup. Another thing is the strength of the dyes, which are all a little too strong for me directly out of the bottle. If I get 8 oz bottles, fill the rest with alcohol - win win. I did a similar thing with all my one-shot sign paint - just squirt them into dixie cups to use - and it turned out great.

Anyone else have similar problems or do anything similar with their dyes?

I started out tipping them too, but then realized that the boxes they come in are actually designed to be bases for the bottles. Directions are on the back of the box, but the hole in the front fits the bottle just fine.

I like the idea of the squirt bottles though. Gonna try some of those.

I'm not much of a klutz, but I think I've spilled more Angelus Dye than actually used it. Nothing against the dye itself, it actually is very good, but I've ruined a couple projects because of the bottles. I don't think it's me, because I've never tipped over the Fiebings 4 oz squareish bottles, but again, the possibility of a spill with an open bottle is there and it'd be even worse with Fiebing's wide mouth bottles emptying even faster.

I think what I'm going to do is get a bunch of squeeze bottles with twist caps to put all my dyes in. Then it'll kill 2 birds with one stone, I won't be spilling much, I can squirt directly onto a rag or into an airbrush cup. Another thing is the strength of the dyes, which are all a little too strong for me directly out of the bottle. If I get 8 oz bottles, fill the rest with alcohol - win win. I did a similar thing with all my one-shot sign paint - just squirt them into dixie cups to use - and it turned out great.

I always seem to splash a drop or two somewhere every time I open a bottle of dye. I have started opening the dye bottle on the other end of my workbench from where my subject piece is just in case.

I think the bottles are a great idea. I have some I bought from Ace Hardware that I keep my vinegaroon in. They are small bottles with a spout on top and come with a little red cap that slips on to cover the opening when not in use. I would have to wonder if they would seal tight enough to keep the dye from evaporating, though. I would assume the alcohol dyes would evaporate if left uncapped???

yes alcohol based dyes evaporate really quickly actually. i never use the dyes straight out of the bottle i use canning jars for mixing my dyes and im only dyeing lace so dye it right in the jar. when i mix the dye in the jar i put a measured amount of the dye into the jar and then use a big ole syringe to add alcohol until i get the color i want then i write the mix on the top of the lid so i dont have to guess when i remix

I always thin my dyes so what I do is taking the canning jars and add the dye then add the thinner. This gives you a nice sized jar to not spill over. The canning jars are pretty cheap.

Another one I like are the natural peanut butter jars. They have a one piece lid and are glass. Once they have been thru the wash they make the best dye containers IMHO.

Yeah, I've never really looked at the boxes (what can I say, I'm a guy so directions are for fools) and that really doesn't do me much good when I have 6 bottles of dye and the boxes are long gone. I'll look at them next time I order some. Canning jars would work, and I use one for neatsfoot oil, because it's easier to slop out of that than the jug. I do two types of dying though, rag and airbrush. Wide mouth jars would be great for rag and dauber applications, but you still have the conundrum of filling airbrush cups, which would spill if you poured them and who has time to clean an eyedropper.

Anyway, I ordered 24 of the 8oz. http://www.sks-bottl...40c/fin43a.html , HDPE for more solvent resistance, and caps instead of twist tops for less evaporation. I'm already planning on building a little carrier tray that can hold them all. 24 is more than I need right now, but I'll have space for more colors - and I really like having lots of colors, and all the bottles will be uniform size.

Edited by BAD HIDE

sounds cool!

I think Angelus thought that may happen with there dye.

So thats why they cut a hole in the dye box. To put the bottle in & help it not to spill.

I hate those bottles they come in! I've managed not to spill any yet, but as soon as I got my first bottle I knew that was an accident begging to happen. And yes, I think a lot of people have had that problem. Like some of the others who have responded, I just transfer the dye to a more stable container, and I'm going to start ordering it in the pint-sized containers in the future, so that should eliminate that problem.

Kate

I think I will be changing mine to more stable containers as well thankfully I haven't spilled any completely yet but did manage to flick some dye around after shaking a bottle up and realising that the bottle threads don't match the cap properly (at least it was already on a pair of jeans I'd already spilled wood stain on). Also have found with mine not all the boxes have the cut out even though it's marked for it.

Clair