Sign in to follow this  
Fredo

First Hoslter

Special thanks to (in no particular order)MATTSH, Biggundoctor, shorts, leather images, twinoaks and many more on here.

I took your advice and made my own pattern. I read and re-read MATTSH's tutorial and then made a few small changes to suit my needs. I did waste leather on my first try but it was ok because I learned quite a bit. Since I am in california, I have to wait 10 days to get my Firestar. All I had to use as a template is a cardboard tracing I made of the gun that is still in Limbo at the gun store. I pick it up next week, I guess I could have waited untill then but waiting is not one of my strong points.

Anyway, here is the outcome, 9-10oz veg tan, hand stitched (if you want to call that stitching) Dyed black, finished with supper sheen. I do not like the finish and the next one will be more of a matt finish.

Your comments and critiques are highly appreciated.

Fredo

star1.jpg

star2.jpg

Looks great for a first try. I prefer wider belt tunnels, but that's probably not as important with smaller pistols.

Thanks BigO your input is appreciated.,

I looked at your site I see what you mean about the larger belt tunnels. definately looks like a better/stronger set up. I am going to try that with the next one.

This is for the Star Firestar-M40, I plan to go back and get the same gun in 45ACP next month.

Fredo - glad that you were able to produce your holster (even without the gun, if I read that right) it looks pretty good for your first one. I would agree that the belt loop needs to be a little wider. The design and function look really good. I must ask though, how did you do the molding if you dont have the gun?

Mattsh,Yes this is my first holster. I've been learning to work with leather for about 3 months now and keep trying new things.

Per your tutorial I made a outline tracing of the gun, I did this before they put it in the safe for the 10 day waiting period. I used a 3/4" pvc pipe to set the initial slide area, I placed a 1/8" drill blank on top of it to form the front site tunnel. For the trigger guard i cut a copy of the guard out of double laminate of 9-10oz leather wedged between the PVC bottom and the bottom of the trigger guard area.

You wrote a tutorial with enough info/help to be able to make a holster by remote. HA!

THANK YOU!

Mattsh,Yes this is my first holster. I've been learning to work with leather for about 3 months now and keep trying new things.

Damn good 1st for sure!

Per your tutorial I made a outline tracing of the gun, I did this before they put it in the safe for the 10 day waiting period.  I used a 3/4" pvc pipe to set the initial slide area, I placed a 1/8" drill blank on top of it to form the front site tunnel. For the trigger guard i cut a copy of the guard out of  double laminate of 9-10oz leather wedged between the PVC bottom and the bottom of the trigger guard area.

Yes his tutorial is great as are all of them that people have taken the time to put together and share with everyone. Biggest reason I like this site is everyone is more than willing to help out any way they can. Good peoples one and all.

Something I've been doing is a direct rip from Galco :  I take  two strips of leather starting from right behind the back of the front site to the  front of the ejection port. they are around 3/16 of an inch wide. They are placed on either side along the slide, 1st I glue them in place and then I sew them. This leaves a site channel, makes for a decorative stitch line and also every style of holster I have attempted to make so far. Dunno if it will work with a revolver as I have yet to try it with one.   

You  wrote a tutorial with enough info/help to be able to make a holster by remote. HA!

THANK YOU!

Same from me Mattish and everyone else who have taken time to help myself and all others either directly or by posting tutorials.  THANK YOU  :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Fredo, others have mentioned the belt tunnel, but as to making a dummy for molding, without the actual firearm, I have gone on the net, looked up the specs on the pistol, and made my dummy of wood. All they end up being is two pieces of wood glued together......but they work well. One piece cut and formed to the length, height, and width of the slide, and the second is the width of the trigger guard, shaped and angled as the front of the guard, and glued into place. I don't like to have to do that, but, at times, it becomes a necessity. Very nice job you did there. Mike

Edited by katsass

I seen holsters by "professionals" before that arent as well done. Kudos

On the execution of construction, you did a pretty good job! I think once you wear the holster and gun you might find a few details you'll probably tweak, but nothing that's out of the ordinary. I also echo changing the belt tunnel but just note it for the next time.

Nice work!

Decent looking holster, especially for a first effort.