UKRay

Should Men Wear Earrings?

Back in the day when I got my ear pierced, the saying about being gay or not was left ear is right and right ear is wrong. I guess it meant if the right ear was pierced you were gay. I have 3 tattoos, one on each leg and one on my back. I didn't get any tats until in my mid 40's. Still say if it don't effect me I don't care. Billy P One last thing, I worked shutdown construction in Nuclear Power Plants for about 20 years. If you were gonna get a job, leave the earring out until after you were hired and showed them you knew how to do the work, in not you were not hired. Billy P.

Edited by Billy P

So what sort of earring should be considered 'acceptable'?

I know a guy who wears a real feather, another who has a small silver ring and another who wears a small silver cone type earring. FYI: and in no particular order, one is gay, one is a police officer and the other is a well respected local business man!

Ray

So what sort of earring should be considered 'acceptable'?

Anything worn by a biker wearing colours (at least to anyone with any survival instinct). :unsure:

Well, as a girl, I can only offer my input....but I'm opinionated lol

Personally, I don't care if someone gets an earring or a tattoo. Unless it's my little brother, in which case, he's in for a world of explaining.

Back when I was in high school ( yikes was that really so long ago?!), one earring denoted that you preferred the company of other men - and it was different on each coast.

I personally find massive earrings and holes and distended lobes to be unappealing. I don't find them attractive. If I see a man wearing "pimp" earrings, it makes me roll my eyes and wonder why they wasted the money in looking stupid (same with those who wear their pants hanging off their rear end.)

I've never been much for non-ear piercings, it looks painful! And tongue-piercing cannot be sanitary... Multiple-ear piercings I don't mind (I have 3 per ear but usually only wear one per ear.), but, again, I'm not too keen on the oversized stuff. (ladies, it looks stupid on them as well.. if you can perfom gymnastics routines, your hoops are too large. If you can, in a pinch, use your earring as a plate or whisk, it is also too large. If it finds it's way into your cleavage without effort, your shirt is too low and it's too long.)

Tattoos can be very neat, if done well, and I think they should have a reason. For example, "this means alot to me" or "this was to remember something very important", not "I was drunk and my buddies thought it'd be funny to tattoo the evil monty python bunny on my bicep". My cousin wanted a tattoo as a kid and he, flower child that he is, told her that if she still wanted it when she was 21, that he would help her get it. She spent those years thinking about it, turning it over and over in her mind. Sure enough, she still wanted it, was certain, so he found her a safe reputable artist and now she's happy with her tattoo.

Were I to get a tattoo, I know exactly what I'd get... but I'm kind of afraid of needles.

I prefer tasteful tattoos over "zomg boobies", and I find the RIP with a crudely drawn face tattoos kind of creepy. I don't really want a dead person staring at me.

Some men can pull off the long earrings and long hair (I am a sucker for long hair on men, if it's well-kept), some can't. Some can pull off small studs with short hair, some can't. Some can't pull off earrings at all, some can. If it's not something you'll be proud of in 5, 10, or 30 years, you shouldn't do it.

I disagree with piercing small boys, unless it is religious. Yes, religious, not cultural. Girls it is mostly accepted, but I think that piercing babies is plain stupid. Too many chances for improper care. A baby can't tell you "mom my ear feels hot" or "dad this hurts". Heck, I got mine pierced at 6, and had to take care of them myself. (Wasn't allowed to get my second hole til high school. I earned it with good grades.)

I prefer men usually without jewelry, but I like the tasteful look. Something to draw my attention to his other features, or that compliments him well.

Really don't find body piercing attractive. >,<. Tho, I don't mind those tiny sparkly nose piercings some women get. Those are small and tasteful, the small sparkle usually accents their dimples when they smile, so it works well as an eyecatcher. But the oversized ones? I keep thinking "is that a bug on her.. oh no, it's a piercing... blech". Same with guys. I like a something accenting, something that sets them apart. Not something for the "don't stare...don't stare....don't stare...crap, I'm staring" factor.

./endrant lol

Most people tell me I was born 100 years too late. I am 33 year old geezer and I have never understood why a man or a teenager would ever want to get their ear pierced. I don't care if they do but it's just not my cup of tea. It always struck me funny that a young male would have it done to be different and set themselves apart from others but alot of other younger guys were doing it too so they're not really setting themselves apart.

I think people should be able to express themselves however they see fit as long as it doesn't harm someone else. I've seen alot of freaky things that people do to themselves, some of it looks pretty cool, some doesn't, most of it I would never do to myself, lol.:blink: I agree with Biggundoctor (aka 'The Big JC':rofl: ), if you take the time to get to know somebody regardless of how the decorate themselves you might be suprised by the person you find.

My .02

-jerry

Edited by jinrui73

Thanks for all the comments people. So that is a NO then... or is it? Hmmmmm? Hard to tell...

Something for you all to think about. I keep my personal opinions to my self.

This is the opinion stated by several psycoligists in an article I read recently. For the majority of younger people getting peirced these days, It is a form of self mutiation stemming from an unstable mental state.

This would NOT include those such as the native American who does it for cultural reasons.:whatdoyouthink: