I've been using two coats of Tandy's Satin Sheen, followed by an airbrushed coat of Resolene on my holsters. I've been pretty happy with this combination, but I'd like to find a more cost effective, but equal or better product to Satin Sheen. I was about to place an order last night from Tandy for a quart of dye and a quart of Satin Sheen, and my order was around $75 after tax and shipping!!

I don't want anything super glossy....

I'd like to maybe order from Springfield. Any suggestions?

I've been using two coats of Tandy's Satin Sheen, followed by an airbrushed coat of Resolene on my holsters. I've been pretty happy with this combination, but I'd like to find a more cost effective, but equal or better product to Satin Sheen. I was about to place an order last night from Tandy for a quart of dye and a quart of Satin Sheen, and my order was around $75 after tax and shipping!!

FWIW from a grumpy old man.....Believe it or don't......... I found out many years ago (when I ran out of NeatSheen one time) that 'Mop and Glo' (yep, the stuff for the floor) when cut 50/50 with clear water, will do just as well as the old Neat Sheen or Fiebing's Leather Sheen. It's a bunch cheaper and readily available. I lay on just a fine mist with my airbrush...allow to dry (it does quickly) and follow with a second misting. The stuff is an acrylic....just like all of the 'Sheen' products. Mike

Particle,

Why stain sheen and resolene? I use resolene cut with 50/50 warm water through the airbrush, force-dried with an el cheapo hairdryer. Works every time and is a dull gloss, I guess.

But I think I might still have to try that Mop and Glo idea, Mike!

I just ordered 2 quarts of dye and a cement container from Springfield and it was only 65.00 with shipping. That was regular spirit dye though.

I could be wrong but I would think you'd be fine with just resolene. That is what I've been using, sometimes I'll follow it up with leatherbalm with atom wax, but realistically I don't know if that adds much, I just like the way it looks, the black is nice too. I've experimented with a few different finish procedures with very little difference in the final look, I shoot for something with a mellow gloss, not to shiney or plastic looking.

I've heard of the mop and glo from a few people, I might try that sometime, it sure would be a lot cheaper.

Let us know what you end up with, I always like seeing other peoples finish steps, it's amazing how many different ways there are.

Eric:

You should definitely be doing business with Springfield Leather Company. Excellent customer service and good prices. Call Kevin, let him know that you are opening a business account. He and his people will go out of their way to take care of you.

Best regards.

I appreciate the responses everyone. I've ordered a hide from Springfield before, and some dyes and stuff, but had gotten accustomed to the Satin Sheen results. This time I need to order a quart of dye too, so I figured I'd reduce the shipping cost a bit and just order both from Tandy. NOT!

Dickf - you asked why the two coats of Satin Sheen and a coat of Resolene - the thing I really like about Satin Sheen is that it absorbs into the leather so much, which I feel helps to stiffen the holster more. It's MY belief that this will also help to set the dyes a bit more too, helping to prevent/minimize dye transfer (I haven't gotten any complaints at all about dye transfer from any of my holsters, so I'm reluctant to change up my workflow too much). Lastly, I feel like it will help to glue/hold the thread in should the stitching ever begin to fail. Is any of this true? Yes, No, and Probably Not, but Maybe So! I started putting the Resolene on lightly with an airbrush as a final step just to give an added layer of protection against moisture. Personally, I don't like Resolene because I can't stand the tacky feel (even when lightly airbrushed). But, lots of people seem to use it so I figured the trade-off must be worth it...

My preference would be to find a single product that I can sponge/brush on (like Satin Sheen) that will give all the protection a holster will need. It looks like Angelus Acrylic Finisher #600 may be just the ticket (Thanks Kevin)! This may cut out at least two steps in my process by (1) eliminating the need for Resolene, which in turn will (2) eliminate the need to apply a teflon spray to the interior to kill the tack/grab on the gun created by the Resolene.

Any other happy users of Angelus Acrylic Finisher products? Do you apply multiple coats? Do you give a final coat of something else like Resolene or a coat of wax, etc.?

I'd be interested in hearing your results with the Angelus finish. Did you buy a quart of it? I used their dyes in the past and really liked them but the 3oz bottles were too small and I didn't see quarts at Springfield, or at least on their site so I just stuck with Fiebings.

I haven't noticed any tackiness with the resolene when I use it, I was very reluctant to use it for a long time because I thought it was going to make the leather look plastic, but I actually like the way it works.

I'm sure you'll be fine with whatever you use, your stuff is always top notch.

I have good luck with the aerosol can of Super Sheen. Just don't apply it too thick, or it will crack like ice when bent. Just spray it, let it dry for a few minutes, and apply and buff off a coat of neutral shoe polish. Looks great.

I appreciate the responses everyone. I've ordered a hide from Springfield before, and some dyes and stuff, but had gotten accustomed to the Satin Sheen results. This time I need to order a quart of dye too, so I figured I'd reduce the shipping cost a bit and just order both from Tandy. NOT!

Dickf - you asked why the two coats of Satin Sheen and a coat of Resolene - the thing I really like about Satin Sheen is that it absorbs into the leather so much, which I feel helps to stiffen the holster more. It's MY belief that this will also help to set the dyes a bit more too, helping to prevent/minimize dye transfer (I haven't gotten any complaints at all about dye transfer from any of my holsters, so I'm reluctant to change up my workflow too much). Lastly, I feel like it will help to glue/hold the thread in should the stitching ever begin to fail. Is any of this true? Yes, No, and Probably Not, but Maybe So! I started putting the Resolene on lightly with an airbrush as a final step just to give an added layer of protection against moisture. Personally, I don't like Resolene because I can't stand the tacky feel (even when lightly airbrushed). But, lots of people seem to use it so I figured the trade-off must be worth it...

My preference would be to find a single product that I can sponge/brush on (like Satin Sheen) that will give all the protection a holster will need. It looks like Angelus Acrylic Finisher #600 may be just the ticket (Thanks Kevin)! This may cut out at least two steps in my process by (1) eliminating the need for Resolene, which in turn will (2) eliminate the need to apply a teflon spray to the interior to kill the tack/grab on the gun created by the Resolene.

Any other happy users of Angelus Acrylic Finisher products? Do you apply multiple coats? Do you give a final coat of something else like Resolene or a coat of wax, etc.?

Hi,

I only use Angelus finisher and I'm more than happy with the product...Satin, Matte and Gloss (they also have High Gloss) I buy it in quarts for $18 and from this place where the prices seams to be the best. Really good service too, and no, I have nothing else to do with the place other than being a happy customer.

http://turtlefeather...s-products.html

Scroll down around half the page and you'll find the Acrylic Finishers.

Edited by Tina

Tina,

Thanks for that link, they have Angelus dyes in pint bottles and are reasonably priced as well as some other things, I wish I wouldn't have just ordered 2 quarts of Fiebings. Do they ship fast?

I've been happy using the Angelus 600. I usually give the holster a good soaking in it and then use an airbrush to apply a final coat to cut the gloss down. After it is dry I apply a coat of Kiwi clear shoe polish for a final buffing.

Tina,

Thanks for that link, they have Angelus dyes in pint bottles and are reasonably priced as well as some other things, I wish I wouldn't have just ordered 2 quarts of Fiebings. Do they ship fast?

Yes, When I lived in Michigan the package showed up in just a few days/under a week which in my world is fast :-) I use the dyes too and some other things from this place, things have always worked out fine.

I was looking for a satin finish. But I've read the Angelus Satin and Gloss pretty much look the same. And to instead go with Matte if you want a satin finish.

How does the Angelus black dye compare to Fiebing's Pro Oil black?

I used angelus pro black and really liked it compared to Fiebings spirit black and usmc black. It seemed to require much less buffing to get the excess off. As soon as I finish my last quart I'm going to switch to angelus for the black. I haven't used Fiebings oil dye in black to compare it.

I used angelus pro black and really liked it compared to Fiebings spirit black and usmc black. It seemed to require much less buffing to get the excess off. As soon as I finish my last quart I'm going to switch to angelus for the black. I haven't used Fiebings oil dye in black to compare it.

Thanks, I'm gonna try and contact Angelus to see what the difference is between all their blacks. I've never dyed before. So, it sounds like Angelus would work better for a beginner.

Thanks, I'm gonna try and contact Angelus to see what the difference is between all their blacks. I've never dyed before. So, it sounds like Angelus would work better for a beginner.

Yea I think you'll be happy with it. Let us know what the differences between the blacks they have. With fiebings I can buff all day and still get rub off and the angelus seemed to set in really well and require very little buffing. The only reason I didn't get more was because Springfield only sold it in 3 oz bottles which don't last very long at all. I like to order as much as I can from the same place to save on shipping but I'm going to try the place mentioned earlier for larger bottles.

Yea I think you'll be happy with it. Let us know what the differences between the blacks they have. With fiebings I can buff all day and still get rub off and the angelus seemed to set in really well and require very little buffing. The only reason I didn't get more was because Springfield only sold it in 3 oz bottles which don't last very long at all. I like to order as much as I can from the same place to save on shipping but I'm going to try the place mentioned earlier for larger bottles.

I'm switching to all Angelus Products as we speak. I would recommend contacting Angelus directly which I've done at the suggestion of a couple of other top notch holster makers. I asked for some samples so I could compare against Feibings and their own individual products. She sent me a whole box of 3 oz bottles, 600, 610 acrylic, brown acrylic, black acrylic (though I do REALLY like black resolene, makes black BLACK!) and black edge finish. I immediately realized I needed to make the switch from resolene. I really like the 610 which is supposed to be a high gloss, but IMO it is not as glossy as Resolene. A customer sent me a Del Fatti mag carrier he wanted me to duplicate for him and man, is the finish on that thing nice. Through the grapevine I've been told by someone he gave the tip to that he is using 600 Angelus, buffed with a horsehair wheel and renaissance wax. The horsehair wheel must be the ticket, gotta get me one of those

After the service I got with that I decided I wouldbe switching my dyes too. I also noticed they have several blacks. I asked for some samples and not wanting to make themfeel like I was taking advantage of them I just asked for some leather swatches that had been dyed. I will put a finish coat on them and determine which black I want as well as the other 1/2 dozen color samples I asked for. I got an email yesterday that they are in the mail!

When I do order, I'm going to order in gallons, at least the acrylic, so that I can effectively dip, cut it 60/40 with water and finish up my hot box for drying. I will need to get a couple of gallons, one for black and one for the browns. Hopefully I can get a third dip mix out of the two gallons, depending on my dip container (I see an excuse to eat someice cream) for mahogany which I get a lot of orders for. If I can settle on a brown, I might get a gallon of that as well for dipping. I think black is fine usingdaubers, then it dries quicker.

I say I'll need to contact them on getting some samples instead of waiting on a response to see what the differences are in their blacks.

Angelus also has something called "Special Black No. 507" Which has "additional ingredients that allow the dye to penetrate hard and/or difficult leathers. Normally for professional use only."

I'll probably look at getting a sample of their Matte and Satin finishes. Though it appears they have two different Satin finishes. One is a "605" and the other is a "615". From what I can tell, it seems the 615 is more of a Satin High Gloss.

I do like the look of the pro oil black they used on this leather strap:

www.leathersmithdesigns.com/guitar-straps-making.htm

BigRiverLeather,

What kind of dye prep do you like? I see Angelus has a preparer and deglazer. I don't know if you have to let that stuff dry off before you dye. But Feibings has a dye prep where you rub it in right before you put your dye down. It is supposed to clean the leather and let the dye absorb easier and more evenly. Not sure which would be the better prep to use or if the Feibings would work well with the Angelus dyes?

Edited by jasonsmith

I say I'll need to contact them on getting some samples instead of waiting on a response to see what the differences are in their blacks.

Angelus also has something called "Special Black No. 507" Which has "additional ingredients that allow the dye to penetrate hard and/or difficult leathers. Normally for professional use only."

I'll probably look at getting a sample of their Matte and Satin finishes. Though it appears they have two different Satin finishes. One is a "605" and the other is a "615". From what I can tell, it seems the 615 is more of a Satin High Gloss.

I do like the look of the pro oil black they used on this leather strap:

www.leathersmithdesigns.com/guitar-straps-making.htm

BigRiverLeather,

What kind of dye prep do you like? I see Angelus has a preparer and deglazer. I don't know if you have to let that stuff dry off before you dye. But Feibings has a dye prep where you rub it in right before you put your dye down. It is supposed to clean the leather and let the dye absorb easier and more evenly. Not sure which would be the better prep to use or if the Feibings would work well with the Angelus dyes?

It seems the 610 acrylic is the most popular amongst many of the makers so that is what I went with. She sent me 615 which I liked ok and another in an unmarked bottle which I never did find out what it was for sure but I'm guessing it was the 610. I mixed the little bottle with water and dipped some mag carriers and was please with the results.

For dye prep I've just been using deglazer I pick up at my local Tandy. I think it is Fiebings, not even sure. It dries faster than I move so I've not had any problem in waiting for it before I dye. I think they will work fine with the Angelus.

Regarding their black, I ordered the 002 (I think?) black. of the three swatches she sent me it was noticeably "blacker" than the others.

Still waiting for my order to ship. Apparently Paul keeps an eye on the weather and waits for a window of good weather to ship. We don't have good weather windows in Dec/Jan in WI - I hope I don't have to wait too long...

It seems the 610 acrylic is the most popular amongst many of the makers so that is what I went with. She sent me 615 which I liked ok and another in an unmarked bottle which I never did find out what it was for sure but I'm guessing it was the 610. I mixed the little bottle with water and dipped some mag carriers and was please with the results.

For dye prep I've just been using deglazer I pick up at my local Tandy. I think it is Fiebings, not even sure. It dries faster than I move so I've not had any problem in waiting for it before I dye. I think they will work fine with the Angelus.

Regarding their black, I ordered the 002 (I think?) black. of the three swatches she sent me it was noticeably "blacker" than the others.

Still waiting for my order to ship. Apparently Paul keeps an eye on the weather and waits for a window of good weather to ship. We don't have good weather windows in Dec/Jan in WI - I hope I don't have to wait too long...

After you use the dye prep. Do you then still wet it down?

I'm thinking of spraying the sealer with the Preval. I'd probably have to do that anyways on the flesh side as I don't think I want to do alot of rubbing on the flesh side. I learned when putting on the sealer you want to rub it on wet, and let it dry. Before I was trying to rub it on then off. And that made it look like crap.