Sign in to follow this  
Bronson

Do You Use Backs For Holsters?

I've been in contact with Kevin at Springfield (very helpful) about some Herman Oak leather. He said Herman Oak doesn't do double shoulders and while he can cut me a single shoulder he recommended I think about getting a back so I wouldn't have the wasted belly leather I would have from a side (I only do holsters).

I've only ever used shoulder leather and was wondering folks' thoughts on back leather for holsters/sheaths.

Thanks,

Bronson

I placed an order for 5 sides and 5 backs from herman oak. I've used 3 of each so far. My next order will be all backs. To me, the backs have less waste. I bought a grade except one b grade side I think. I'm gonna stick with a grade backs. I just like the quality.

Jeff

I've been in contact with Kevin at Springfield (very helpful) about some Herman Oak leather. He said Herman Oak doesn't do double shoulders and while he can cut me a single shoulder he recommended I think about getting a back so I wouldn't have the wasted belly leather I would have from a side (I only do holsters).

I've only ever used shoulder leather and was wondering folks' thoughts on back leather for holsters/sheaths.

Thanks,

Bronson

Bronson, I use primarily shoulder leather....except for historically accurate western holsters. My normal holsters made from shoulders are made by laminating 3/4 or 4/5 oz skins.......glued up flesh side to flesh side. For single thickness historical holsters I use backs, usually 9/10 oz. I feel that back leather has a bit less stretch in it and forms a little more firmly than single thickness shoulder leather does. Mike

Backs definitely have less waste for what I build. I've gone to backs for my belt supply because I wasn't using the belly of a side when I'd slice straps. I also end up cutting around bellies on sides I use for holsters. Next order up with be backs only so long as I can get them.

Backs definitely have less waste for what I build. I've gone to backs for my belt supply because I wasn't using the belly of a side when I'd slice straps. I also end up cutting around bellies on sides I use for holsters. Next order up with be backs only so long as I can get them.

Do you use the back leather for holsters or only belts? I'm still hand stitching and I don't intend to hand stitch another belt any time soon so any leather I get will be for holsters and the occasional sheath exclusively.

Thanks,

Bronson

Bronson, I use primarily shoulder leather....except for historically accurate western holsters. My normal holsters made from shoulders are made by laminating 3/4 or 4/5 oz skins.......glued up flesh side to flesh side. For single thickness historical holsters I use backs, usually 9/10 oz. I feel that back leather has a bit less stretch in it and forms a little more firmly than single thickness shoulder leather does. Mike

Thanks Mike.

Bronson

What is your question/concern with backs?

Only if that portion of the hide works well for holsters or if most makers were using the back portion for other things like belts.

Since it sounds like it'll work just fine I'll probably save up a few bucks and go with the back over the single shoulder.

Thanks again,

Bronson

Edited by Bronson