Luke Hatley

Difference In

What is the difference in Tan Coat vs Bag Coat ?

also would single cap rivets be stronger than double cap ones.

The rivets are same except the double cap is finished on both sides. I think if ones stronger it would be the double cap. But i could be very wrong to.

Bag Kote is essentially a water based finish. It can be thinned out with distilled water. I use it almost exclusively because to me it's a little easier to work with. I also use Tan Kote once in a great while. It's a resin based finish that has to be thinned with denatured alcohol. The Tan Kote is a bit harder to work with as it gets tacky very fast. If applying Bag Kote, I use a piece of sheepskin and rub on and rub off the excess. It will dry in just a few minutes time.

The Tan Kote I apply and wipe off with a rag because it has a tendency to pull any fibers from the sheepskin and make it a permanent fixture of the leather. It also takes a bit longer to dry.

What I use depends on the color the customer wants. The Bag Kote tends to produce darker tones than the Tan Kote. Bag Kote also has a mellower finish to it than Tan Kote.

Hopefully that helped a bit without being too confusing.

Frank

Frank

Is Bag Kote very durable? if i put it on a wallet will it crack at the fold line? and can it be used as a resist?

thanks,

ken

Ken,

Tha Bag Kote is very durable. It might "stress" to a lighter color on the spine of a wallet but should not crack. If it stresses, just wipe the spine down again with bag kote while it's stressed and it should work just fine. I add 2 coats to each holster. One prior to folding and stitching and one after to seal up the stress marks.

I doubt that it would be any good as a resist since it is water based.

Frank

What is the difference in Tan Coat vs Bag Coat ?

also would single cap rivets be stronger than double cap ones.

Hi Luke

Can't be much help on the Tan Coat as I only use Bag Coat to give a nice mellow final shine to flat goods.

As to the rivets, the single cap and double cap are the same as far as strength, or lack thereof, since they both rely on upsetting the post into the head on one side. Steel rivets are a bit stronger than solid brass, but tend to rust and look really ugly. Any of these upset hollow post type of rivet should not be considered much of a structural, strength, element as they are not very strong. If you are looking for strength then go with a post and burr rivet.

JMHO

Jim