Thomas

Which Thread To Use To Hand Sew?

I have been making some holsters and selling them in my spare time. The thread i have been using is artificial sinew and the thick black string used to repair shoes. I would like to find something thinner and just as strong if not stronger that is durable and weather resistant. I looked for some thick nylon and polyester at hobby shops but can't find anything in black and brown. I am not looking for thin thread like regular sewing thread but something a bit thicker.

Sorry if this is confusing i think i confused myself typing it.

Thanks

Thomas

I've had really good results with the waxed linen sold at Hobby Lobby under the name "On a String". Good strong thread, about the size of 207 (machine thread size), and looks good with the 6 spi wheel I was using. Depending on how the batch was done when it shipped, I find it useful to pull the thread I'm sewing with through a block of beeswax, then through a piece of denim/paper bag/ canvas to heat it (friction) and remove any excess.

Don't bother with the needles with the large eye, just get some standard eye big needles. I picked those up at the Walmart craft dept. in a pack for about $1.75,

I've been using waxed linen on all of my projects. I like the look and it is plenty strong. I use a 7 cord on my holsters and belts. The stuff that Tandy sells in the small rolls works well with their large egg eye needles (some folks might disagree with me here). Since the rolls that Tandy sells are so small, I have started ordering waxed Irish linen thread from royalwoodltd.com. They have a lot of colors to choose from as well.

Raising an old subject, but new to me. Starting many leather projects which will require sewing to reinforce the seams, however I am hand stitching. I know the Tandy needles are a pain to use and often break. I have heard of John James needles however I goofed, did not write a note or make a verbal note. What is a good size of thread to use for wallets, belts and messenger bags?

You are welcome to start a new thread (no pun intended). That said, here are some guidelines. Keep in mind that your hole size, stitch spacing, leather choice, and even needle size can affect which thread works best. For about 9 spi, .020 Maine or. 4mm Tiger thread or 3 cord linen. For about 7 spi,.030 Maine thread or. 6mm Tiger thread or 4 cord linen. For 5 spi, .040 Maine thread or .8mm Tiger thread, or Nyltex/sinew, or 6 cord linen. With linen the rule of 11's (number of stitches per inch + number of cords is 11, higher for chunkier look, lower for lighter look). I made up the name of that rule, but it's based on the chart in Stohlman's sewing book.

Edited by johnv474

Raising an old subject, but new to me. Starting many leather projects which will require sewing to reinforce the seams, however I am hand stitching. I know the Tandy needles are a pain to use and often break. I have heard of John James needles however I goofed, did not write a note or make a verbal note. What is a good size of thread to use for wallets, belts and messenger bags?

PM sent

I have always used Tiger Thread, 0.8 to 1.0 is a good all around size. Variety of colors. It's flat braided waxed poly. Super Strong. You can find samples or full spools on Etsy pretty easy. Just search for shops in the US for faster shipping.

You are welcome to start a new thread (no pun intended). That said, here are some guidelines. Keep in mind that your hole size, stitch spacing, leather choice, and even needle size can affect which thread works best. For about 9 spi, .020 Maine or. 4mm Tiger thread or 3 cord linen. For about 7 spi,.030 Maine thread or. 6mm Tiger thread or 4 cord linen. For 5 spi, .040 Maine thread or .8mm Tiger thread, or Nyltex/sinew, or 6 cord linen. With linen the rule of 11's (number of stitches per inch + number of cords is 11, higher for chunkier look, lower for lighter look). I made up the name of that rule, but it's based on the chart in Stohlman's sewing book.

Ive never used the tiger thread but your call outs on maine thread are exactly what I came to as well. Wish I had seen a post like this one back when .. I came to it after buying a bunch of thread. Depending on the look I want I may fudge one way or another but a GREAT starting point for anyone new!

Edited by Boriqua