Sign in to follow this  
8KCAB

Fid Technique

Howdy all.

I worked with paracord for a couple of years, and I just purchased a Basic Kit from Hought. I'm really enjoying it - it's nice to handle the roo hide and working with smaller strings practicing buttons instead of getting hog-tied in paracord.

I want to avoid bad habit's - at least as much as I can without one-on-one instruction, and had some questions about handling the fid. I'm trying to be disciplined in not setting the fid down, even if a little hand contortion is required. My question is, do you always poke the fid through and make a big hole, and then run the string through? Or, do you poke, and follow with the string while the fid is on it's way out? Or, something else? Should a person avoid pulling up to much with the fid, even if it makes the hole smaller and takes more time and effort to get the string through? Or, does it all come out OK after rolling? I'm sure there is as many ways as there is braiders... I'd like to see some pictures of work before it is rolled and finished, so I can see a minimum of what is wanted before finishing.

Thanks everybody for the great info on this site!

I dont think there is a right or wrong way to use a fid....its a matter of personal preference and what your comfortable with. i personally dont use a fid...i use two-prong lacing needles, although i sometimes do use a fid to help get the needle through on really tight knots.

Well generally the only times you would be using a fid is either to tighten the knot, or when you're doing fid work like the Argentine braiders do. There is really no special technique to using a fid. There are different sized fids for different sized projects and different types of projects. Like Tracy said above,

I dont think there is a right or wrong way to use a fid.
It really is a matter of individual preference.

Like with me, I am used to using lacing needles and the fid. I find that in using horse hide lace; I tend to use the fid more so than a lacing needle. Simply because the lace at the working end is usually dry enough to push through the work after lifting the area that the working end will go through. That's just me though. Others have their own preference as you will discover here. I can only speak for me though.

You will discover as you braid just what you like and don't like. That only comes with time and practice.

Best regards,

Brian...

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'm not really doing "fid work". I just use it to lift the strings so that I can get the working end underneath and through. I was wondering if lifting the strings too much was damaging to the overall process. Thank you!

You shouldnt damage too much by lifting up the strands, but sometimes without needles, trying to push the strands through where they need to go is like trying to thread a wet noodle through a key hole. Like my Grandad always told us, You have to pull rope, you cant push it. Hemostats can also help greatly with this as long as they are small thin ones that arent sprung and are still straight.

CW

So, do most braiders use needles to thread the strings through when making buttons? Hought made no mention of them in the "Basics Reivsed" instructions on Spainish Rings or Turks Head. It sounds like it would be much easier. I am familiar with using hemostats, as this is the technique I learned braiding and tying paracord from the ubraidit book.

I've done the Turks head 10 or 15 times now... I did a heringbone interweave on it a few times. The interweave is easy, but I'm trying hard to improve the symmetry of the Turks Head skeleton. I only rolled and finished a few Spainish Rings, since I'm reusing the strings until they are to kinked and twisted. I imagine that if the knot is not symmetrical before you roll it, it will only get worse as it is finished. Do you guys find that to be true?

I'm not sure why Hought doesn't use needles. Some people that I've spoken to consider themselves "purists" and use only a fid when braiding. It's purely speculation, but that could be why she doesn't use them.

I like the smaller permalock needles, IMHO it seems like they damage the leather a lot less than the two-prong needles, especially if you're working lace that's around 3/32" or smaller. There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong way to do it, just experiment with what feels comfortable for you and the lace that you're using.

NEWFUNNYPOST.gif Aggie, that's hilarious! Perfect analogy!

I would have to agree with the wet noodle analogy. I was amazed how easier everything was with the lacing needle.

I use the needle on my knots. I use the fid to tighten, if needed. I've ground down my fid to a flat rounded end, not the sharp one it comes with. Broke too many strings with that.

Edited by Spence

I braided for about a year or so before I found out about the needles. I was like a born again braider after that. Then about two years later I was turned on to a pretty good awl, I was born again. There is nothing like having the right tools for the job. I use the one prong neeles and press the prong flat with pliers to keep them from ripping up any string and use the an Osborne T-ll tennis awl. I've broken a few of them. But they are only about 5 or 6 dollars.

Rob

Thanks for all the replies, guys and gals. Here is some input I recieved from another (pretty well known) source:

I know some braiders use a needle. I would really learn to use a fid. Don't worry so much about the fid technique until you know where to go in braiding the button. The only reason for not setting the fid down is so you do not have to straighten your string as much(and improves your speed), which would just as true with a needle. Once you can do a button easily, then concentrate on your technique. A needle has more set up time, is slower, tougher to use when button is getting tight towards the end. You can't put leverage on a needle without breaking it. Also, you still need a fid to tighten the knots. Also, one big problem is that if a braider sweat very much and you have long project, the needle discolors the leather.

There's a million ways to skin a cat. I've been branding calves since I was a kid - but if I go to a new ranch someone's gonna want something done a different way.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself on this stuff - I'm just starting to get my 6 Bigh Turks Head straight-ish. I don't fly as much at work as a used to since I recieved a "promotion", so I have lot's of time to waste on the computer. It makes it look like I'm working - otherwise I'd be fiddling with strands at my desk!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the old Californio's did it? I'd guess that needles were pretty scarce. Maybe some kind of fid or awl fashioned from local hardwood? Any idea's about the techniques of Luis Ortega? Again, I don't think there's a right or wrong way. This braiding bug has piqued my curiosity about the historical factor.

Thanks, Miguel!

I'm glad you joined this forum!

Are you close to the Pyrenees? My wife's from a little village in them on the French side.