chapper

Juki Lu565

I have a friend who is looking at a Juki LU 565. Seller says complete with cabinet, motor, etc. Says can sew up to 1/2" of leather? In good condition, asking $700.00 Will this machine be a good buy and will it sew that thickness of leather? Thanks

I have a friend who is looking at a Juki LU 565. Seller says complete with cabinet, motor, etc. Says can sew up to 1/2" of leather? In good condition, asking $700.00 Will this machine be a good buy and will it sew that thickness of leather? Thanks

There is no Juki 565. I think your friend has a 562 or 563 model. The 562 has a standard industrial bobbin and the 563 uses a large, M style bobbin. Both are otherwise the same machine. The maximum thickness I was able to sew on a Juki 563 was under 3/8". The stitch length varied all over the place, because the reverse lever was part of a spring loaded balance system. When I sewed fast, the stitch length mechanism floated between forward and reverse! The stitches went from long to short until I slowed down. The machine was a real POS and not worth the gas money to take it to the dump.

There is no Juki 565. I think your friend has a 562 or 563 model. The 562 has a standard industrial bobbin and the 563 uses a large, M style bobbin. Both are otherwise the same machine. The maximum thickness I was able to sew on a Juki 563 was under 3/8". The stitch length varied all over the place, because the reverse lever was part of a spring loaded balance system. When I sewed fast, the stitch length mechanism floated between forward and reverse! The stitches went from long to short until I slowed down. The machine was a real POS and not worth the gas money to take it to the dump.

I have aJuki LU-563 and like yours, it will sew just under 3/8" . I have not had any of the problems with stitchlength that you describe, so I suppose your machine had some worn out parts. I think the Juki 563 is a versatile machine as it has never failed me.

Just my two cents.

/ Knut

I also have a juki 563 and stich lenght is not the problem, the only problem is 3/8 of dense leather is not a good idea 10oz of dense leather not a problem or multiple layers of garment leather is never a problem from my understanding these are great machines and for there purpose bullet proof

Thanks for the info. I don't post often, but I get a lot of good info by looking through the various posts!

I think the problem Wiz had with his machine was there's 2-springs that hold the stitch length foward & when one breaks that's what'll happen.They are great machines & will handle up to 3/8" max,so they are good for chaps,upholstery sewing.

We rebuild & sell alot of them they are alot like the 226 Consew & what's nice about them is the feet are cheap since so many other machines use them.

So don't be afraid of it,try it out,if it's a 563 that's a good price!

I think the problem Wiz had with his machine was there's 2-springs that hold the stitch length foward & when one breaks that's what'll happen.They are great machines & will handle up to 3/8" max,so they are good for chaps,upholstery sewing.

We rebuild & sell alot of them they are alot like the 226 Consew & what's nice about them is the feet are cheap since so many other machines use them.

So don't be afraid of it,try it out,if it's a 563 that's a good price!

Could be. This happened around 1987 or 88 and the machine is long gone. I never bought another Juki for myself after that, but I did arrange to buy them for other people and they seemed to work okay.

Wiz,

They can jam alittle easier than a machine w/a horizontal hook esp if you don't hold the thread like you should.but some like them better because of the larger bobbin.

Hi Chapper, the Juki 563 (as everyone has said), is one of the best machines built. Long after we're all dead.......it will still be sewing somewhere! The Juki 563 takes a "U" stlye bobbin, which is the largest in it's class. The Consew 255 takes the "U" style as well. It is larger than a 226/111w/562 bobbin and also larger than the "M" style that so many machines take today. It was made in Japan during the booming years of sewing in the U.S.A. It takes the same feet (as Bob said), that the 226/111w/562 take as well as the needle plate, feed dog, needle bar, and timing belt, as well as most of the parts. The hook is larger because of the "U" style bobbin. If you set this machine up for leather, (speed reducer, servo motor, and the correct feet and needle), you will be very pleased for a long time. Thanks, Steve