reverendcolin

Singer 29K 31

I posted this on the wrong topic. Hope someone here can help me. Thanks.

New guy to the forum and to leather work and I could use a little info.

I just picked up a Singer 29K 31, found some info on the web but would like to gleem what I can from the forum.

I planned to use it for some light leather work and patches.

I see that it's used to do shoe repair, harnesss work and much more. Big bonus.

Thing's been sitting in a garage for many years but looks to be in decent cond. under the dust and grime.

Sprayed it with oil (moving parts) and got it to turn over. will start the clean up tomorrow.

I didn't get the stand with it so I'll be looking for one or any info on making one.

Where can I find parts if needed?

Can I electrify it or should it just be treddle?

Can I modify and old regular treddle table?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rev

BTW, I didn't see a welcome thread so, I'm Colin Young, from Saratoga, NY.

New guy to the forum and to leather work and I could use a little info.

I just picked up a Singer 29K 31, found some info on the web but would like to gleem what I can from the forum.

I planned to use it for some light leather work and patches.

I see that it's used to do shoe repair, harnesss work and much more. Big bonus.

Thing's been sitting in a garage for many years but looks to be in decent cond. under the dust and grime.

Sprayed it with oil (moving parts) and got it to turn over. will start the clean up tomorrow.

I didn't get the stand with it so I'll be looking for one or any info on making one.

Where can I find parts if needed?

Can I electrify it or should it just be treddle?

Can I modify and old regular treddle table?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rev

BTW, I didn't see a welcome thread so, I'm Colin Young, from Saratoga, NY.

Welcome to the Leatherworker.net Leather Sewing Machines Forum, Colin!

The machine you bought is called a patcher and is primarily used to repair torn boots, shoes, replace zippers and to sew patches onto leather jackets and vests. It is not designed for any heavy use, despite its appearance. The bobbins are tiny and unless you restrict them to a maximum thread size of #69, they run out very quickly.

You may be able to find a cast iron base for sale, but shipping could get very expensive. If you want to modify a standard treadle base, get one with the smallest possible drive wheel diameter. A patcher base comes with a dual size pulley: 9" and 12". Most home treadles only have a 12" wheel. This is too fast and lacks punching power on such a clunky machine. Anyway, if you find a treadle base with even a 10" pulley, hook it up to the larger of the two pulleys on the back of the machine. Get a good quality leather belt to drive it and spray on some sticky belt no-slip treatment.

I sold a 29-4 patcher head to a local shoe repair shop and he put a home sewing machine motor and a belt on the back of it and uses it semi-motorized for small patching jobs.

Parts are usually available from most industrial sewing machine dealers. At least one of this forum's member-dealers is Bob Kovar, of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. He has patcher parts that would make your head spin. Call him at: 866-362-7397.

Thanks much for the quick response. That should help me get started on this machine. It sould work for what I want to do now.

I've been reading your posts on the machines and see how little I know about sewing leather.

Thanks again,

Rev.

I should add that leather drive belts come in a variety of diameters, from 1/8" to 3/8" and can be cut to your required size (+ a couple of inches just in case). I use a 5/16" belt on my long arm Singer patcher. The bigger diameter gives better grip. But, home treadle pulleys may not accept that width of belt. You may be limited to 1/4" or less. If so, belt no-slip is imperative.

All new leather sewing belts ship with a couple of C clips. You have to punch or drill small holes into the two ends, about 3/16" in and clamp them down with pliers.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Hi Rev and welcome, I'm newish here too. But listen to wizcrafts, he's been a big help to me with my sewing machine questions - he's the man and definatly knows what he's talking about. These patcher machines are so cool, I love 'em. As for the stand thing... I'm in the same boat as you, my 29K62 did not come with one either. So what I did was to get a regular size singer treadle base and build top for it. I built it with a step-up raised area that the head sits on to mimick the design of the original stand - but that is not really necessary, would be just fine with a simple flat top. Bob Tovar (referenced above) provided a custom length leather treadle belt among other items. Look down the forum page to my thread "my patcher needs a table top", I added pics recently. BTW, I do like the idea of motorizing the machine. Let us know what you come up with.

Thanks for your posts. I also have a 29K 31 and I wanted to ask for the work that it is suitable. Wizcrafts that has already been answered. I have tested the machine and am very happy with the seam. Now I just wanted to know if I can use one of the two instructions for my machine. Konnie

post-35088-0-25278100-1350675460_thumb.jpost-35088-0-72570400-1350675590_thumb.jpost-35088-0-44657500-1350675642_thumb.j

Thanks for your posts. I also have a 29K 31 and I wanted to ask for the work that it is suitable. Wizcrafts that has already been answered. I have tested the machine and am very happy with the seam. Now I just wanted to know if I can use one of the two instructions for my machine. Konnie

post-35088-0-25278100-1350675460_thumb.jpost-35088-0-72570400-1350675590_thumb.jpost-35088-0-44657500-1350675642_thumb.j

Hi Konnie,

I have a long arm Singer patcher (29k -72) and an old Adler 30-15 in back up (the same machine made by Adler)

I use it for repair work, small leather holsters and boxes. In addition, everywhere else my other big industrials cannot reach. There always is some seams that cannot be sewn with a regular cylinder arm machine, the 29K always comes to a rescue.

It is a genius machine; no leather workshop can do without one. That said, it has it limitations as Wiz already pointed out. It has a small bobbin, small stitch length and will mark up the top of your leather with its top feed. You see it is many different sub classes of the 29K, they all work the same way. The difference is the length and size of the arm. And the size of the bobbin. You can use both the instruction manuals for your machine, because they all work the same way.

Good luck

Trox