olroper99

Chap Makers "secrets"?

Howdy all!

I've made a few pairs of chaps but was never pleased with them.

I used to own a pair of bronc riding batwings years ago that a good friend of mine made me.

I got talked out of them a few years later and have kicked my butt ever since.

Those things were sooo nice. They hung just right and both bottoms curled around my boots just perfect.

Now I'm wondering...do you guys cut the leather a certain way? Like from shoulder to tail or the other way round?

For chinks do you cut the legs from side to side?(to get maximum usage of a hide?)

Is there a part of the hide you try to avoid for certain parts of chaps?

And for the older women who have a bit of a "tummy"....do you raise the belt up higher so it doesn't make a "double bump" from the belt cutting into their stomach?

I have an order from one such gal and don't want to make her mad because I've made her "look fat"!!!!

Just wondering on this one because it changes a lot of things when you have to raise the belt that high.

Thanks!

Russ Brewer

Howdy all!

I've made a few pairs of chaps but was never pleased with them.

I used to own a pair of bronc riding batwings years ago that a good friend of mine made me.

I got talked out of them a few years later and have kicked my butt ever since.

Those things were sooo nice. They hung just right and both bottoms curled around my boots just perfect.

Now I'm wondering...do you guys cut the leather a certain way? Like from shoulder to tail or the other way round?

For chinks do you cut the legs from side to side?(to get maximum usage of a hide?)

Is there a part of the hide you try to avoid for certain parts of chaps?

And for the older women who have a bit of a "tummy"....do you raise the belt up higher so it doesn't make a "double bump" from the belt cutting into their stomach?

I have an order from one such gal and don't want to make her mad because I've made her "look fat"!!!!

Just wondering on this one because it changes a lot of things when you have to raise the belt that high.

Thanks!

Russ Brewer

Russ

I like to cut a leg body out of the best part of the hide length wise. and I try ti stay away from any stretchy (soft or flanky) leather. I do not cut many top to bottom because I can get the length I need. I have a DVD for sale with a full size pattern for chinks that has worked well for many people. It is 2 1/2 hours long and I go thought how to measure for fit and how ot work with the patterns for the best fit.

you can see them at www.cowcampsaddlery.webs.com

Hope this helps some.

Mark

I have Mark's chink making DVD. It is as good as any I have seen. Better than most.

The DVD will tell you what you need to know to make a good using pair of chinks.

The truth be told, it is really just a fitting matter when making custom chaps or chinks. Fit the person. Find out what they want, then fit again. Explain how the chaps/ chinks will fit and let the customer decide .

Like Mark, I use poster board to make my temporary patterns.

When I am satisfied with the pattern I transfer it from poster board to a plastic that is close to poster board weight.

That way I have a semi- permanent pattern to use again.

BTW all old women that have a tummy bump have one when on a horse. Whether they are wearing chaps or not. Old men too!

It's not the front belt or straps fault. :head_hurts_kr::lol:

I cut mine like Mark. I try to get the best part of the hide on the outside of the leg. On the inside it will be reinforced. I wouldn't move the front strap on the chinks, If you put it up too high the front won't fit right either. if you aren't sure about the fit you can always do a fitting before finishing the chinks. When I started out I would cut out one leg and have the person come in for a fitting. I would get it just finished enough for them to put it on and I would have them climb in the saddle. Alot of chaps fit good while the person is standing, but don't fit right in the saddle, but that's where they need to fit. I still have people come in for fittings depending on body type. Some are just plain harder to fit and I want to make sure I get it right. I think the hardest for me is a woman with a small waist but really large thighs tapering down to a small calf. it can be easy for the zipper in chaps to spiral around the leg if you don't cut it right with that figure type. Chris

Great stuff guys!

Thanks!

Russ