lowes48

What Is The Max Thread Size For A Consew 225?

Hey Guys,

I have been making custom watch straps for about 3 years on the side for some extra cash and as a fun hobby but I have recently brached out to do other things like a ranger belt and some small wallets and cases. I have been hand stitching exculsively, and I use it as a "selling feature". But when it comes to hand stitching a belt the time and effort isn't worth it IMO so I want to get a machine to speed things up and get the best use of my hobby time! I found what appears to be a nice Consew 225 locally, and I plan on going to look at it sometime soon. I will take some leather and some thread to make sure it will do what I want, but I do have a question on the maximum thread size the 225 will handle. I don't know if the machine has a slow-speed servo motor, etc..., but if I can get a screaming deal (real close to FREE!), I'm hoping any add-ons won't kill me and the overall cost won't be that bad.

Anyway, the thread size I currently use on my stuff is 207 and 277, and some heavier stuff that came from Tandy. I just want to make sure the 225 will run with this size thread. If it won't can one of you gurus suggest a similar machine that will run 207+ thread and doesn't cost a fortune?

Thanks in advance for the info and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Hey Guys,

I have been making custom watch straps for about 3 years on the side for some extra cash and as a fun hobby but I have recently brached out to do other things like a ranger belt and some small wallets and cases. I have been hand stitching exculsively, and I use it as a "selling feature". But when it comes to hand stitching a belt the time and effort isn't worth it IMO so I want to get a machine to speed things up and get the best use of my hobby time! I found what appears to be a nice Consew 225 locally, and I plan on going to look at it sometime soon. I will take some leather and some thread to make sure it will do what I want, but I do have a question on the maximum thread size the 225 will handle. I don't know if the machine has a slow-speed servo motor, etc..., but if I can get a screaming deal (real close to FREE!), I'm hoping any add-ons won't kill me and the overall cost won't be that bad.

Anyway, the thread size I currently use on my stuff is 207 and 277, and some heavier stuff that came from Tandy. I just want to make sure the 225 will run with this size thread. If it won't can one of you gurus suggest a similar machine that will run 207+ thread and doesn't cost a fortune?

Thanks in advance for the info and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

If it is like the rest of the walking foot machines from, or based on the Consew system, it will sew with #138 comfortably, and, #207 with caution and very, very slow speeds. If the machine has a standard (small) industrial bobbin, it will limit you to #138 in the bobbin, unless you only sew short runs (1 or 2 belts). Number 138 thread in the bobbin will last for up to 3 belts, in a standard industrial bobbin and almost double that in a large M bobbin.

In order to move #207 thread you will need a #24 leatherpoint needle. I recommend Weaver lubricated thread. In lieu of Weaver thread, use Linhanyl, but run it through a lube pot, filled with liquid sewing silicon, that you can buy and attach to the top of the machine. They are under $100.

I have a walking foot machine, based on the Consew 206RB series and it is not happy sewing #207 thread, with the required #24 or 25 needle. The huge needles take a lot of pressure to puncture belt leather and hit hard. The pressor foot needs to be tightened all the way down, to keep the leather from lifting with the needle, which tends to get stuck from friction. That's why I recommended running the top thread through a lube/cooling solution, or using Weaver's prelubricated thread.

If you find that this machine doesn't do the job you want it to do, there are beefier machines available. Some sew up to about 1/2", with #277 or 346 thread, others up to 7/8", with #346 to 415 thread. These machines are sold under the brand names Cowboy, Cobra, Techsew, Artisan, Adler.

The big machines use a different spool shaped bobbin that holds a *huge* amount of thread. They use a longer needle system that has sizes up to #27. Most of these machines are geared way down and have high power servo motors, for slow speed control. They can sew with #277 in a #25 or 26 needle and penetrate 3/4 inch without allowing the leather to lift with the needle. Whole nuther story.

So, if you buy the Consew 225 for cheap and fix it up, let it do what it was made to do: sew with #138 thread, up to 3/8" thickness, with a #22 leather point needle.

Thanks for your post Wiz! I really appreciate your time and effort with my (and everybody else), response. You are a wealth of knowledge and have been a handy resource to me already! Merry Christmas!

I am reading ancient kind of information but it is very relevant for one of my projects. I want to sew 5 layers of nylon(Polyester) car seat belt material at .045" to .050" totaling approx. .250"

I have a consew 225 with ac motor

Reading above you strongly stated let it do the 138 thread.

I am doing short (7")runs so bobbin size is not as critical.

I am having a saddlemaker sew for me. He uses 277 top and 207 bottom The stitching is impressive to see and I consider it a strong selling point.

At times He is to busy to do my projects. So I wish to do my own if possible with the consew 225.

Question #1 Does Nylon sew easier than Leather?

Question #2 Is Nylon/polyester more problematic with The other story of the material lifting with the foot?

Question#3 By Using larger needle and thread Am I seriously abusing my machine or just bringing some "sweat" out?

Thank You ahead of time and

MERRY CHRISTMAS

The Consew 225, like the Singer 111 it is based upon, is best limited to a maximum of #138 thread. You may have to readjust the hook and latch opener clearances to allow #207 to pass on top without binding or hanging in the hook on the way out. A #23 needle is fine for #138 thread, top and bottom. Use a #24 needle with #207 thread on top if the hook will allow it to clear without jamming it.

Nylon sometimes needs a size larger needle than leather of a similar thickness. Only use 135x17 round point needles on webbing or nylon strapping. Leather points will slice the strands and may cause the material to unravel along the thread path.

Once you have opened up the hook clearance, concentrate on balancing the tensions and pressures. Often, the top tension beehive spring on these upholstery grade machines is only medium duty, which is fine for light to medium thread sizes up to #92 or #138. If the top tension spring has to be turned all the way in to bring the knots up, back off the bobbin tension. A totally tightened beehive spring won't allow the disks to separate and release the thread tension when you raise the feet.

Your machine should be able to hold down webbing with a #24 needle and #207/138 thread. Crank it down if the material lifts with the needle until it stays put. However, you need to understand that the holding strength will be limited by the smaller thread, in this case size 138, which has 22 pounds tensile strength. Your 207 top thread will only be there for appearance, not extra strength.

To sew with #207 and larger thread on the top and bottom requires a different type of machine. There are several machine classes that can do this, including the Cowboy CB2500, CB3200 and CB4500, the Juki TSC-441, and the Adler 869 and 969 Eco machines that Weaver stocks and sells for heavy leather sewing.

The standard bobbin case is based on a design that was never really intended to take anything heavier than #69 but in general they can handle #138.

When using a very high quality thread that has good lubrication qualities #207 is OK but even then it will wear the the bobbin case. Normally I only suggest heavier thread when the machine has a replaceable bobbin case as the machines with a combined shuttle/bobbin case are more expensive to fix.

I've sewn some veg tan leather on my Consew 225 with size 207 thread top and bottom, and it seemed to be "okay" with it. Not sure how much of a hit the hook and bobbin takes in the long run, but new aftermarket Hirose hooks for the Consew 225 are cheap at around $40 here in the US, so even you you wear one out, it's not a super big deal to replace it. If you're sewing at the limits, it's important that your machine is properly adjusted and timed, including the needle guard.

In general sewing Nylon webbing is much easier on the mechanics than sewing hard veg tan leather.

Folks looking to buy a machine for sewing heavy threads in that general class of machines may want to consider a Juki LU-563 (or a clone thereof). These machines can use two variations of the hook, one of them designed for sewing "extreme thick thread" (Part number B1830-563-BA0). The manuals and spec sheets are vague about what thread sizes it will actually support.

I have to reply and say thank you "ALL" for your replies.

I need to sit back and let some of this soak in a bit at a time.

Your input will help with decisions. I am going to experiment using the 138 and 207 thread.I think I read Not to use a lubricated thread on the bobbin.Will look for that answer and the round point needle caught my EYE unexpectedly. I am not trying to light the world on fire. I just enjoy a variety of tinkering.

I have found a Ferdinand 900-B (Bull?) that I can afford but I like the table concept for what I am doing. The ferdco is in very good shape but I worry about later maintenance. I reckon the price will let me call it almost expendable.

Thank you again for the replies and after digesting your information I will do my best for a followup of my progress.

Different threads have different properties.

Some bonded polyester feels as if it is lubricated.

That is something I did not know and hope to not forget.

Thanks Darren