Sign in to follow this  
Gawdzilla

True Grit/pirate Eye Patch Suggestions?

Any thoughts/experience doing these? I'm thinking of making one with three laced cuts to make it concave. Any tips would be appreciated.

i would wet it with hot water (around 45°C i think) and form it above an tennis ball or something light that. Then let it dry and cut it to shape.

Just an idea...

i would wet it with hot water (around 45°C i think) and form it above an tennis ball or something light that. Then let it dry and cut it to shape.

Just an idea...

Thanks, I'll try that. I've stretched thin leather slowly by suspending it with an egg in it and keeping it wet. That was a fun project. I now recommend a hard boiled egg. :ranting2:

three laced cuts may be over-kill. i seem to remember seeing some at a ren-fair once made with a single cut at the bottom to give it a nice shape.

sounds like a nice way to use up some small scrap pieces.

good luck,

ken

three laced cuts may be over-kill. i seem to remember seeing some at a ren-fair once made with a single cut at the bottom to give it a nice shape.

sounds like a nice way to use up some small scrap pieces.

good luck,

ken

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking three because I want to keep the center available for some kind of wolf-related image. (Spoils the effect for adults, enhances it kids.) The cuts would be on the ends of a "Y", with the strings coming off the arms of the Y, perhaps continuing around to be tied in back.

I wet molded thin veg-tan to use as an underlay form on a eye patch I covered in black ostrich for a buddy who lost his eye in a shooting incident. ( (pistol barrel exploded).

He wanted an rich evil bad guy look. Ya know the criminal mastermind evil doctor 007 type ;)

2 oz vegtan cut to the shape of the cheap-o-patch from Walgreens. I then wet the leather and placed it on a baseball and then Seran wrapped it for a few hours. I then took the plastic wrap off and let it dry.

Glued the ostrich to the front

Lined the inside with black deerskin.

Quick 1/32" kangaroo lace around the outside and a braided kangaroo tie strap.

Turned out nice.

Allen

Allen,

Man, I wish you had a picture of that patch to share. it sounds like a real beauty.

ken

For a really good template of an eye patch, try your local pharmacy. Check the eye care section for the aluminum eye protectors used for covering minimal eye injuries/surgies for a few days, or go to your local emergency room and just ask for a few eye pads. These are soft cloth like pads used for the same purpose as the aluminum ones.

Sorry folks, but the bust best suggestion so far has come back channel, to reduce a bikini top cup to the size I want. I replied asking why I had to reduce the currently popular ones at all?