Randy Cornelius

Re-Covering A Corbin Seat

I have a corbin seat on my 1500 goldwing, love the seat but it is pulling apart in the seat area where they done all the decorative stitching. I am thinking of re-covering the seat. My question is to anyone who may have done a corbin seat. What should I expect when I pull off the old cover? Any tips suggestions that may be helpful. I have done a lot of leather stuff for many years but this fall under the upholstery business which I have done none of. Any help would be greatful. What about the rivits under the seat that holds on the old cover seems like it may be hard to line up new holes in leather to the old rivits holes in the seat pan.

Randy

Drill out the rivets, pull the old cover off. You can create your own template or you can take apart the old cover at all the seams and lay it or flat to create a template. That will take care of you r new cover, as for lining up holes; use some paper on the seat pan to create a template then transfer that layout to your new leather.

Thanks, looks like it will be simple but did not know what to expect until I pulled the old cover off, which I did last night. Will take the pieces apart and make patterns off that, Thanks again.

RC

No prob, GOOD LUCK! Post some pics of the progress in this thread. I'd like to see it.

When it comes time to put the new cover on, use some contact adhesive around the edges of the seat pan and on the cover. Allows you to pull and stick the cover in place to the pan. This acts like a clamp to hold the cover while you then can rivet with ease. For rivet holes in the leather, I just use a grease pencil and mark the location of the holes on the pan inside of where the leather will be, then feel and punch the hole with an awl. Works pretty quick and saves any tedious layout work.

Loren

Baldwin Motorbike Saddles

www.MotorbikeSaddles.com

Baldwin City, KS

Worst case scenario, should you find yourself in a spot where rivets won't reach and normal glue won't hold...I found out the hard way a few years ago on my very first leather project that Liquid Nails will adhere <permanently> leather to abs and fiberglass. Just sayin'... hehe