rgerbitz

Biker Chaps Con't

All right. Thanks to some good advice I have some patterns for biker chaps and now I would like some input on what types of leather are most desirable for bikers. And, if you know, who supplies those particular leathers.

Thank you,

Rob

Rob,

I make a fair amount of chaps, for Bikers, Excercize riders at the track, Cowboys of all sorts, Trail Riders, and Show chaps and chinks. With the exception of Show Chaps which I like to make out of glove leather hides I get from buckskin leather in Canada, for chaps and chinks that are meant to be used, I have become partial to deertan cow hide I get from Tandy, Kangaroo hide I get from Weaver, and lately Buffalo hide I get from the Leather Guy. I always try to match the type and weight of leather I use to the intended use and preference of the person I am making them for. In a lot of cases, I put in "wear patches" in the areas where they normally wear.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Rob,

I personally do not ride in leather chaps, I prefer overpants or overalls. However, among those I ride with there are two split camps on this. The largest camp prefers heavy 1.2 mm (approx. 3 oz ) or greater naked leather with a light lining (polyester, duck cloth, twill, ripstop fabric, etc.) and don't mind the break in period. The other camp likes the medium weight glove tanned garment leather with a light lining because it is soft and flexible and feels good right off. Then there are other chaps that are lined and insulated, but those I don't see used very often (mostly because around here it is never that cold).

If or when I buy a set of leather chaps, my preference will be the heavy (1.5 mm to 2.0 mm) naked leather variety. Hope this helps from the rider perspective.

All right. Thanks to some good advice I have some patterns for biker chaps and now I would like some input on what types of leather are most desirable for bikers. And, if you know, who supplies those particular leathers.

Thank you,

Rob

would you eventually share the biker chap patterns.....I have been looking all over the place....only cowboy chap patterns.....thanks so much!!!

James

Thank you,

Rob

Rob

I am trying to find biker chaps pattern....no luck, only cowboy stuff....would you be able to share some of the patterns or let me know where to get them...?

I would love to make me a pair of riding chaps.....for my iron horse...and me!!

Thanks so much for your time and effort...

James

Rob,

I make a fair amount of chaps, for Bikers, Excercize riders at the track, Cowboys of all sorts, Trail Riders, and Show chaps and chinks. With the exception of Show Chaps which I like to make out of glove leather hides I get from buckskin leather in Canada, for chaps and chinks that are meant to be used, I have become partial to deertan cow hide I get from Tandy, Kangaroo hide I get from Weaver, and lately Buffalo hide I get from the Leather Guy. I always try to match the type and weight of leather I use to the intended use and preference of the person I am making them for. In a lot of cases, I put in "wear patches" in the areas where they normally wear.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Bob

Would you be able to share some of your biker chap patterns....? Or let me know where I can get them...?

I would love to make one pair for me to ride this season on my old iron horse...haha...

I thank you for your time and effort...

Greetings

James

James,

I never found any biker chap patterns. I have some shotgun patterns that I was going to alter for biker chaps. The only difference I could see in looking is that the front yoke area is more opened up, there is usually a thicker belt up front, the bottom part of the leg snaps instead of zips and they usually have some kind of lining in them. I saw a some that had platic pieces in the knees. I haven't made any new job is taking up alot of time right now.

Chap patterns are easy.

I'll try to make a tutorial video after Sunday (busy till then)

Enjoy your weekend,

Al