sfcdan

Air Brush

In the past two years I've been wanting to finally get an air brush to color some of my projects. Any recommendations besides harbor freight kits? Also what's the best dye for air brushing? Tnks again, Daniel.

I know you think Harbour Freight tools are inferior, however, the Professional Airbrush kit is SPECTACULAR! It delivers as much detailas you would hope to get out of a more expensive one, but for $20, you can't go wrong! Try one first, see if you like it... I honestly think you'll be impressed!

In the past two years I've been wanting to finally get an air brush to color some of my projects. Any recommendations besides harbor freight kits? Also what's the best dye for air brushing? Tnks again, Daniel.

I use a double action Paasche. I've tried cheaper single action kits, and they're fine for spraying dyes for leather work, but I like the control of a double action airbrush because I use it for other things as well.

I've only used Fiebing's pro oil dyes, but i've also sprayed resolene, super sheen, and satin sheen in mine. They will spray just about anything that's thinned to milk consistency, and do it much smoother than you will every achieve with a sponge or wool.

I agree with Troy, get the Harbor Freight kit, spray whatever dye you've already been using, and I'm sure you'll be pleased. Just remember to clean it well after using it.

ken

If you're just starting out with an airbrush and only plan on doing blocks, masked areas or full projects the HF pro kit will work just fine for as Troy mentioned. It's a good starter gun and will let you see if the process suits you for little investment. Later on, if you get into small details, more technical painting/dying, etc. you can pick up a more expensive gun. I have 3 right now (HF, Paasche DA and Badger 155) and just asked for an even nicer one for my birthday, a Devilbiss Dagr. Careful, these things can be as addictive as carving tools!

+1 to the HF Professional. On sale for $13 - you can't go wrong. Never have had a problem with mine other than forgetting to clean it. Get one of their spray gun brush sets while you're at it in case you need to scrub out the orifices.

To start out you cant beat cheap especially when it delivers. The previous posts are right though as you get better you will expect more from your tools but do yourself a favor get a decent pulseless air source or compressor to start out with. No matter how good your gun or brush is a pulsing air source will screw up your best efforts. I used an old tire for years because my cheap compressor pulsed. And make sure you clean that brush up good every time or you will regret it.

If you're just starting out with an airbrush and only plan on doing blocks, masked areas or full projects the HF pro kit will work just fine for as Troy mentioned. It's a good starter gun and will let you see if the process suits you for little investment. Later on, if you get into small details, more technical painting/dying, etc. you can pick up a more expensive gun. I have 3 right now (HF, Paasche DA and Badger 155) and just asked for an even nicer one for my birthday, a Devilbiss Dagr. Careful, these things can be as addictive as carving tools!

Spinner your side covers rock!

Spinner your side covers rock!

Hehe, thanks TG. That was a fun 'for me' project that ended up going somewhere. ;)

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.  I actually own many HF tools, and I noticed its a hit and miss.  I'm glad to hear that the air brushes are actually a potential hit.  Time to make the next move and buy one so I can learn how to work with it.  Sincerely, Daniel. 

Edited by sfcdan

Troy, wow! great work, I love your website.

I know you think Harbour Freight tools are inferior, however, the Professional Airbrush kit is SPECTACULAR!     It delivers as much detailas you would hope to get out of a more expensive one, but for $20, you can't go wrong!    Try one first, see if you like it...  I honestly think you'll be impressed!