Sign in to follow this  
Amanda Powell

Hair On Hide Spur Straps

These are almost done!! I'm waiting on the buckles, and once I put them on, I can finish stitching the lining to the bottom edge of the bib of the strap. Everything is hand-stitched, cut by hand, etc. I have a pair of straps that are kind of vaguely almost not quite the same.....so for a pattern, I traced them and modified the design to get these. Went back to kindergarten for a bit and used colored construction paper for templates :) The conchos are white bronze. The buckles will also be white bronze, and match the conchos. I managed to find two scraps of hair on hide that were just barely large enough and matched at the Tandy store. Here's how things look so far:

Picture709.jpg

Picture708.jpg

Picture707.jpg

Nice work!

What type of leather is the black leather on top and the back?

Where did you get the cool looking conchos?

Thanks

Joel

I think the top leather is an upholstery leather to be honest.....the lining was a thicker generic leather....I was going cheap, because I wasn't sure if things would work out or not. But both seem to be very nice. The thicker leather was stiff and cardboardy but it softened up nicely after conditioning. The conchos I found on eBay. The guy sells a bunch of white bronze conchos and buckles, and his supply varies at any given time....Here is his shop.