larena

Help Choosing A String Cutter/beveler For Rawhide

Good morning everybody. I am just getting into rawhide braiding. So far I have two hides ready to turn into something but I do not have a string cutter/beveler. I have looked at a couple of different cutters on line but I'm not sure which one is the best. I would appreciate any suggestions or information about your personal choices and what to look for in the different models. Thanks in advance.

Edited by larena

Thanks Megabit, I appreciate the reply. Do you know if the hansen is capable of doing different bevel angles?

It does not but has a splitter attached if you don't already own one of those. I have a used string cutter that I will try to post pics of this evening for sale that has two angles, 45 & 60. I have a new cutter coming so I'm getting rid of this one. It's the cutter I've used until now.

Thanks leatherpownder for the info on the Hansen. What kind of string cutter are you willing to part with? Is it a good one for rawhide and other types of leather? If you don't mind, can you send me the pictures and information to my email address: larena1235@yahoo.com. Thanks so much.

Edited by larena

Good morning everybody. I am just getting into rawhide braiding. So far I have two hides ready to turn into something but I do not have a string cutter/beveler. I have looked at a couple of different cutters on line but I'm not sure which one is the best. I would appreciate any suggestions or information about your personal choices and what to look for in the different models. Thanks in advance.

Check out Clint Sims string cutter and beveler...it has 30 and 45 degree slots for beveling edges...look for him in member directory under whitebuff....

Check out Clint Sims string cutter and beveler...it has 30 and 45 degree slots for beveling edges...look for him in member directory under whitebuff....

Lace Master is a better set up. I have used both and the Lace Master is more user friendly and easier to adjust. Look it up under that name on the computer.

I have used a Hansen style cutter/beveler, and currently have Bryan Neuberts. I liked the hansen because of the larger diameter stock it was made on. Bryan's works pretty good I think it is worth it. I like the way it adjusts. For splitters I use Tandy's High Tech splitter. There are better splitters out there than that but I get along with it.

I have used a Hansen style cutter/beveler, and currently have Bryan Neuberts. I liked the hansen because of the larger diameter stock it was made on. Bryan's works pretty good I think it is worth it. I like the way it adjusts. For splitters I use Tandy's High Tech splitter. There are better splitters out there than that but I get along with it.

Thanks Rgerbitz for the reply. Just a few questions on the Neubert cutter; does it do different bevel angles? Maybe I'm worried about something that really isn't an issue here, but do you guys do different bevels on the tops and bottoms of rawhide strings? What about the different blades, which in your opinions work best and which are the most readily available? Sorry for all the questions but I figure if you want to learn ask somebody who knows.

Thanks everybody for your help.

I recently got a Hansen cutter and it is wonderful compared to the homemade tools I had been using before. It took me about a year looking at all the different styles of cutters to finally decide on the Hansen. There are two basic types of cutters, one with a split barrel and one with a notched barrel. Split barrels include the Hansen and the Nuebert. Notched barrels include the lacemaster and Wayne Juestke's (sp?) cutter. The main selling points on the Hansen for me are:

• Cutter, beveler, and splitter all on one tool.
  • the blade is angled instead of angling your string in a notch.
  • String can be cut from the outside of circle compared to a lacemaster where a hole has to be cut from the center.
  • It has a heavy duty splitter blade that is wide enough to handle a wide variety of sizes.

Downsides include the challenge of making small width changes to the collars and being able to set the splitter thickness for multiple strings. I have not cut enough string yet for the first issue to cause me much concern. On the second issue, I am working on a small thickness gauge based on some brainstorming with Leatherpownder.

I have never split at a different angle than 45. I use to think that it would make a difference to have different angles available. I no longer feel that it would matter much. Most of that decision is based on conversations with other braiders and asking them if they ever used different angles. For blades I like the single edge blades that have the aluminum strip on the back side like what you'd use in a scraper. I strop the blade a little, pull the aluminum off, make a line on the blade edge with a marker, and cut till dull then move to a place where the marker hasn't been rubber off. Once all the marker has been worn off I throw the blade away. Brian Neubert gave the idea to me when I ordered the string cutter. Don't be sorry for the questions that's what this whole board is here for.

Thank you for asking,

Rob

for a gauge I went to lowes and got a set of allen wrenches 1/16 thru 3/8 in 1/32 increments , while there I got some mini utility cutter blades they are stiffer than injector blades, same thickness , i'm cheap so I resharpen them on a paper wheel. John