Sign in to follow this  
Mechanical Cowgirl

Plain Bit Shanks

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I figure a bit is a saddle accessory... I found a place that I can buy mouthpieces and I was wondering if there is any company out there that sells just plain shanks that I could embelish as I wish and weld on a mouthpiece. Or does anyone on here make bits that could sell me just the shanks? I think it would be a fun addition to a custom bridle without truly starting a new hobby of metal work :-D

Thanks!

Try CAM Waterjet

Thanks! That looks perfect. I've also found a company up here in Idaho that makes custom stirrups and then powder coats them, they can even do zebra stripes, wonder if they could cut out bit shanks and do the same? :-)

Mechanical Cowgirl

Is the place you are talking about called Basin Tack Company?

How much stirrups do the powder coated stirrups cost?

Thanks

Joel

Mechanical Cowgirl

Is the place you are talking about called Basin Tack Company?

How much stirrups do the powder coated stirrups cost?

Thanks

Joel

Yes, that's the place. I haven't ever bought anything from them, but I think I remember hearing their stock barrel racing ones (powder coated and with a standard cutout) were around 100$. Don't quote me on it though, but I remember they were a bit more than I would want to spend on a set of stirrups just now, maybe someday when I win the Loto... But I do think poder coated bits shanks would be nifty!

Have you ever seen a set of their stirrups in person?

Mechanical Cowgirl

Have you ever seen a set of their stirrups in person?

No just on their web site. I do like what I have seen in their photos though. I might buy a few to try. When I get some more money to spend. :lol:

They are in south, south Idaho, and when I'm there, I'm way up north near Coeur d'Alene.

Joel

You have to be careful that the bit is correctly balanced both side to side and how it carries when the reins are relaxed.

No just on their web site. I do like what I have seen in their photos though. I might buy a few to try. When I get some more money to spend. :lol:

They are in south, south Idaho, and when I'm there, I'm way up north near Coeur d'Alene.

Joel

I farmed for a few years up on the Palouse while I was going to college at UI, beautiful country. I've seen a few sets of the stirrups, very cool. It's a good spot to stick someone's personal brand or initials which can be easily changed out if they sell the saddle. This maker also put his brand on the side of the stirrup against the horse, like you I might get some when I have the extra money...

You have to be careful that the bit is correctly balanced both side to side and how it carries when the reins are relaxed.

Yep, that's where my engineering degree comes in handy! Solid modeling programs are amazing. :-)