Mountain Bike Gel Seat?

Has anyone used the gel seat covers that are made for mountain bikes to pad solo seats?

The reason for asking is if anyone has used them have they lasted.

They are only £8 in tesco for a large one.

If you sew them down in place with another piece of leather and then cover they last but otherwise I have seen them squish down and split...not pretty

Never used that stuff. I was going to but it seemed uncomfortable. Air is the way to go.post-1704-095475800 1297895547_thumb.jpgpost-1704-040678400 1297895569_thumb.jpg

Edited by bustedlifter

Never used that stuff. I was going to but it seemed uncomfortable. Air is the way to go.post-1704-095475800 1297895547_thumb.jpgpost-1704-040678400 1297895569_thumb.jpg

Thats the coolest thing I've ever seen. As you can tell, cycle seats are not my thing, but that is just sweet.

Thats the coolest thing I've ever seen. As you can tell, cycle seats are not my thing, but that is just sweet.

Thanks.

lifter,

can you give us any tips on the air ride seat, that is how i would like to do mine

lifter,

can you give us any tips on the air ride seat, that is how i would like to do mine

Sure,what would you like to know? It has more of a tan now but here's an earlier pic of the finished item;post-1704-009580700 1297967369_thumb.jpg

love that artwork and the "entire" seat!

this is the first time i've noticed that you run the stem out the bottom of the pan. do you call that a select comfort seat?

i like your style.

ken

Thanks for the replies.

The bike i'm doing the seat for is a lambretta chopper/bobber so i cant do anything fancy.

Have a look on google images and you'll see what i mean.

Cheers Spencer

Thanks for the replies.

The bike i'm doing the seat for is a lambretta chopper/bobber so i cant do anything fancy.

Have a look on google images and you'll see what i mean.

Cheers Spencer

Can you share any info on where to get the rubber air bladder from?

Thanks,

Bobby

Sticky, I'm sorry for hi jacking your thread. There are places you can get foam for a reasonable price. I bought one of those gel pads and messed around with it and found it to be uncomfortable, imho. Maybe you can figure out a way to get an inner tube in the seat.

Ken, I guess so and thanks!

Bobby, those are just inner tubes. I get most of them at a tire joint down the road from me. The smaller one, like in the pic, I get from Razorama. It's the size that's used in their electric scooters.

Sticky, I'm sorry for hi jacking your thread. There are places you can get foam for a reasonable price. I bought one of those gel pads and messed around with it and found it to be uncomfortable, imho. Maybe you can figure out a way to get an inner tube in the seat.

Ken, I guess so and thanks!

Bobby, those are just inner tubes. I get most of them at a tire joint down the road from me. The smaller one, like in the pic, I get from Razorama. It's the size that's used in their electric scooters.

Sticky,

There is a place here in NC that makes the Gel at a reasonable price. Kemmler Products Inc. http://www.shocktec.com/ I have a business account set up with them. When I called, they were very helpful on the phone. You can buy gel by the roll or half roll much cheaper than just the little pieces you get for a single seat. Prices on their site is retail, you'll get better prices with a commercial account.

Here's the info:

SHOCKtec by the ROLLSHOCKtec Air2Gel and Air2Gel HD come in 24"x 60" Full Roll (10 sq. ft), & 12"x 60" 1/2 Roll (5 sq. ft). All prices are suggested retail. Call for pricing on orders over 10 Sq. ft. <br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">Wholesaler and Distributor prices on larger roll sizes are available on request.

SHOCKtec Air2Gel is for HIGH impact and MAXIMUM protection and is extremely lightweight.<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">Thickness Full Roll Price 1/2 Roll Price <br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">1/8" $33.20 $16.60<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">1/4" $67.20 $33.60<br style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">3/8" $101.20 $50.60

bustedlifter,

That is a cool idea on the seat. Did you come up with it? Do you use any foam around the voids where the inner tube doesn't cover, or just the tube between the leather?

Thanks,

Bobby

Thanks Bobby. No ,it's not my idea, not even close! It's an old hotrodder's trick. I read about it in an old issue of Iron Horse magazine back in the early '90's ,I think, and started messing around with the idea. Some times I put a little foam to even things out. Depends on how the seat looks.I put a small piece in front of the tube in the seat pictured above.

I went to a classic bike show at shepton mallet on sunday and managed to get hold of a sheet of closed cell foam 1"x2'x5' for £6.

Here is a picture of a lambretta chop, it's not mine but thought you might like to see one anyway.

Thanks for the replies

Cheers Spencer

post-17217-091741700 1298392132_thumb.jp

The picture of the scoot above has nothing to do with me it was just a random chop picture i found.

It's similar to what i'm building which is why i put it on.

The scoot was the reason i got in to leather working as i couldn't afford to pay anyone to make a seat so i am doing it my self.

Cheers Spencer

The picture of the scoot above has nothing to do with me it was just a random chop picture i found.

It's similar to what i'm building which is why i put it on.

The scoot was the reason i got in to leather working as i couldn't afford to pay anyone to make a seat so i am doing it my self.

Cheers Spencer

that is cool, if they had scooters like that here there would be a lot more people riding them, ours all look like something girls would ride, no offense ladies.

Sure,what would you like to know? It has more of a tan now but here's an earlier pic of the finished item;post-1704-009580700 1297967369_thumb.jpg

Busted,

Great idea that just might work for my brother...he's a big fat heavy dude. (Not a critcism of my brother, just a statement of fact).

Is the leather top attached only on the top with rivets no wrap around?

and is the tube loose inside except where the nipple goes through the pan?

Thanks for sharing that.

Busted,

Great idea that just might work for my brother...he's a big fat heavy dude. (Not a critcism of my brother, just a statement of fact).

Is the leather top attached only on the top with rivets no wrap around?

and is the tube loose inside except where the nipple goes through the pan?

Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks! Yeah, just leather on the top and the tube is loose inside.