Sign in to follow this  
Johnny B

Covering An Ottoman

OK so today my boss gives me this 6'X3' ottoman to redo for him. It is covered with cloth now and he wants leather. The foam is worn out and will need to be replaced. I have covered some smaller items with leather tucking the corners and using upholstery tacks around the base before. I normally make holsters, sheaths and possibles bags. This definitely will be a new undertaking for me.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

OK so today my boss gives me this 6'X3' ottoman to redo for him. It is covered with cloth now and he wants leather. The foam is worn out and will need to be replaced. I have covered some smaller items with leather tucking the corners and using upholstery tacks around the base before. I normally make holsters, sheaths and possibles bags. This definitely will be a new undertaking for me.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

My wife and I recently bought new couches for our Great Room. I am in the process of building an 18" square foot stool/ottoman to cover with leather. Bought upholstery leather from Tandy, nice stuff, probably 4/5 oz. It is heavier

than what is on the couches but I think I will be able to copy the stitch style. As to pointers, we are in this together my friend. I am going on what I can glean from all the leather items I see. :)

ferg

My wife's 30 year old round ottoman / footstool became very decrepit in its vinyl covering.

I bought some dark brown chrome tanned about 5 oz, . . . punched and laced it up one side and around the whole head, . . . looks like a Shawnee war drum sitting on my floor in front of my wife's rocking chair.

I'll try to do a picture if you are interested, . . . but it is the only way I would do an ottoman, . . . I can lace it a bit loose, . . . slip it over the thing, . . . tighten up the laces, . . . looks like a super production piece.

May God bless,

Dwight

This ottoman is 6'x3' so it will be easier to cover being a rectangle. I have found that getting my hands on a piece of foam 4" thick X 6'X3' is my biggest hurdle. No one has any this big. I probably will end up glueing some together.

The corners of the ottoman I am planning to fold over like a Christmas present nice and neat. I am going to fold over the bottom edge of the leather and use upholstery tacks to hold it in place. The wood base is painted black and I will refinish it back to black. I am waiting on the color of the leather. One day they are thinking black leather. The next day they are wanting to go with dark brown.

This ottoman is 6'x3' so it will be easier to cover being a rectangle. I have found that getting my hands on a piece of foam 4" thick X 6'X3' is my biggest hurdle. No one has any this big. I probably will end up glueing some together.

The corners of the ottoman I am planning to fold over like a Christmas present nice and neat. I am going to fold over the bottom edge of the leather and use upholstery tacks to hold it in place. The wood base is painted black and I will refinish it back to black. I am waiting on the color of the leather. One day they are thinking black leather. The next day they are wanting to go with dark brown.

Try JoAnn Fabrics for the foam. I bought some for our ottoman/footstool. Pricey stuff for the high density foam which is what we bought.

ferg

Thanks for the info!