Gregmw

Advice For A Potential Beginner

Hi all,

I went and did a Very basic leather engraving course last week which I made a coaster.It came out OK but it got me asking myself a few questions.

Do you need to have some artistic talents to Leather stamping/engraving.

Where do you get most of your designs from.If I see a picture or photo how do you work out what tools to use.

Is using Clip art pics the way to go to get started with designs

Whats the difference between Engraving ,Stamping and Tooling ?

How do you know what tools to use for what ?

I would like to make guitar straps and pickguards with Old country style designs (Shacks,Farm Houses ,Bush scenes Etc ) - Eventually,

Thanks for any advice offered.

Greg

Hi all,

I went and did a Very basic leather engraving course last week which I made a coaster.It came out OK but it got me asking myself a few questions.

Do you need to have some artistic talents to Leather stamping/engraving.

It helps but not necessary. As long as you can follow directions, learn what tools / stamps do what you can learn to carve leather

Where do you get most of your designs from.If I see a picture or photo how do you work out what tools to use.

Everywhere, nature, magazines, your own mind, others works. Carving is an individual art that is not easly duplicated by others, although you may use the same design as someone else your individually will make it your own simply by your own tallets or sometimes lack of. LOL

Is using Clip art pics the way to go to get started with designs

Clip art is one, but you can buy tooling design books full of designs that someone else has drawn that you can use or change to fit a certian project, like checkbook cover, wallets and belts.

Whats the difference between Engraving ,Stamping and Tooling ?

It's all the same, just how you say it.

How do you know what tools to use for what ?

It comes with practice and from learning from a book or instuctor. A tooling pattern like you would get from tandy will have all the tools you need and point to where they are used at. These are called "Photo Carve" pictures that come with a Tandy kit.

I would like to make guitar straps and pickguards with Old country style designs (Shacks,Farm Houses ,Bush scenes Etc ) - Eventually, I book on figure carving would help you. Landscapes, animals and people require a few special type tools. The Stohlman book sold by Tandy on Figure Carving would be a great start.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Greg

I learned most of my tooling knowledge from books currently available on the market. With the internet the way it is nowdays, this opens our resource loop even bigger plus you have this site. This forum (thanks to Johanna, Kate and the gang) is a wonderful resource for learning how to craft or tool leather. I have learned a lot on this very forum. To increase my skills, I have taken advantage of one leather show every year to take my work and hunt down the true masters in this craft for work evaluations and suggestions or recommenations. So far it has worked for me and it is something I continued to this very day.

As for what you call what most of us do here..........you will see varies names..........carving, tooling or stamping depending on what type of work you are into. For instance, you was to do pictorial work, so most of us would refer to it as 'figure carving.' Don't ask me where these terms came from, but I have learned to refer to them as such. For a resource to help you out with the type of work you want to enter into, I would highly recommend the figure or pictorial carving books that Al Stohlman produced and still available at Tandy Leather Factory. Also, one of your very own by the name of Peter Main who is in my opinion regarded as a true 'master' has several books printed and still available. In fact, he was a student of Al Stohlman, but no doubt a true artist in his own right. One recent book that I received directly from Mr. Main is called "Austrailian Leather Carving." Awesome book.

Finally, it is my opinion and my opinion only that there needs to be some form of artist sense when it comes to any art medium. I am by no means an "artist." I cannot draw or paint to save my life. I would literally starve if I had to depend on these skills. So with that, I am resourceful and have learned ways around this disability through the advice of many people. This is why I still struggle to this day with freelance drawing of my designs......I can't see it so I cannot draw it. Again, many will disagree or agree, but this is my opinion only.

Well, I wish you good luck and if I can help out just drop me a line!

Happy Carving!

Greg;

Look for dvd's on what interests you.

If you don't know how to use the tools or where to use them you will only get discouraged.

I bought a dvd of George Hurst carving an oak leaf and even though I had the tools needed I had no clue as to how to use them or where.

All I did was waste time and leather.

See how it's done, do it the same way and improve.

Kevin.

Thanks very much for your very informative replies and advice.

I have had a look around for some books (And purchased a couple) and DVDs. There really isn't a lot down here in Australia , so I will keep looking on the net.

I have found a few "Pictures" that I would like to do and I purchased a pattern of an Eagles head that I will have a go at .

That one is a Tandy leather pattern and has what tools to use where...

I have also ordered Tandy's Catalouge (Which I hope they will send down here) with the hope of seeing what tools do what and what is around.

Just another question,that might seem a bit vague,

What is the difference between all the mallets I see around.

There seems to be heaps of different types ? Are they all used for differrent types of work or is it just whats comfortable ?

I have a few soft faced hammers/mallets I use for woodworking etc?

Thanks again

Greg

HI

I was looking at some leather tools on ebay last night and noticed that some of the tools have very good close up pictures.

I was thinking this might be a good source of information for your question about "How do you know what tools to use for what ? "

I am pretty new to this leather working too and have no classes close enough. So I made up a collection of photos to refer to for future reference. So here are a few just to give you ideas...

post-15330-048375600 1302662687_thumb.jp Basket stamp

post-15330-045552300 1302662739_thumb.jp Pyramid Border Stamp

post-15330-057774000 1302662797_thumb.jp Border stamp

post-15330-093455100 1302663077_thumb.jp Small Pointed Beveler

post-15330-095383200 1302663490_thumb.jp Mules Foot

What I have noticed is I learn something every time I sit down to work on leather. You will notice a big difference in your work once you have a solid work surface for tooling. I started on a chunk of steel and now I have an old granite counter top from a remodel. So just be patient and practice and read..... here at leatherworker.net there are so many answers to your questions, and pictures too. Up at the top of this page, just below the information for your profile, is a search box and also an Advanced option. Click on Advanced and enter something like coasters, check book, or any thing you want to read about and then scroll down and click on Display results As posts and you will get a list of every post with that word in it. So you will get information and pictures too. Also if you like a particular members work you can search for their posts to see all of their pictures.

Also you can find some tooling videos to watch on YouTube......

What I love the most about this forum is how happy to be helpful everyone is....

Hello! This is a beginner talking to another beginner. Let me tell you that I started tooling just two months ago but I must say that I have learnt some precious lessons. Buy good books on the style you want to learn or improve (sheridan, pictorial, western, etc). Try to get some craftaids that are very useful when fast tooling is needed and buy some essentian DVDs from Chan Geer and Jeremiah Watt because they're a must have. Anyway I must say that the main lesson I have learnt is that you must change your mind and forget to buy all that I call 'toys', I mean that you must start buying high quality stamps and cutting tools from the begining or you'll get discouraged soon.

Hi

Given that your up in syd, maybe try these guys for tools, books etc http://birdsall-leather.com.au

I have only used them mail order so far, and at first glance they seem to be way better for what they stock than leffler is down here in Melbourne.

When I checked out buying things from tandy, the postage was HUGE! I have found overall the cheapest way to get tandy stuff is from the ebay vendor called stecksstore, he stocks some of the tandy books but only charges quarter the postage.

and, if your feeling like a trip to Brisbane...

http://dimensionsinleather.com/index.htm leatherworking conference in July that looks to be fantastic!

Natalie