watersnake

Sounds A Bit Fishy

Can someone tell me which is the best craftool to use to get more realistic scales on fish .. My fish looks a bit sickly ..

post-19428-085025800 1298965160_thumb.jp

You can use a mulefoot tool and make all the scales individual, it will improve the look :-)

Edited by Tina

As small as that is don't worry about scales. Be more intent on showing lateral lines, or other coloration differences on whatever particular species that you are doing. Rainbow trout have different colorations than say a German Brown, or Cutthroat--bands vs spots. On any of those you would not see scales as they are pretty small to begin with. About the only one that you might see them on would be a Tarpon, but even then I wouldn't do individual scales unless it was a REALLY BIG piece.

Try one without scales, and try coloring , or burnishing to get the right look.

You can also use a veiner, if you have a small one.

For big scales i've used D434 tho its a bit more stylized

post-19683-031437700 1299113316_thumb.jp

For small scales I use C770

A tight patern

post-19683-009377500 1299113315_thumb.jp

And a looser lighter impression.

post-19683-006286700 1299113314_thumb.jp

I like any of the tools with two cresents.

Thanks for posting this. I have been wondering the same thing. I have a friend who wants a sheath for his filet knife but he wants it to look like a fish. Your post gave me some ideas. Thanks

If you are going to use a veiner like you did, I'd space the veiner impressions a lot closer together to create texture without the spaces in between.

Another way to create scales on (larger) fish is to use a seeder, tilting it to one side so it only makes about half an impression. To make that easier to do, you can file about 1/3 of the seeder away.

post-12-049772100 1299126400_thumb.jpg

post-12-045717500 1299126432_thumb.jpg

If you are going to use a veiner like you did, I'd space the veiner impressions a lot closer together to create texture without the spaces in between.

Another way to create scales on (larger) fish is to use a seeder, tilting it to one side so it only makes about half an impression. To make that easier to do, you can file about 1/3 of the seeder away.

I like that seeder technique!

Thats a lot of tiny scales, but it looks great