Sign in to follow this  
Caratworx

Snaps, Rivets, And Grommets

Am looking to work with snaps, rivets, and grommets, for leather work, however, I am unsure of what to start off with regarding tools. Any recommendations?

There seems to be the following methods

- Table top presses with interchangable dies such as the tandy press at about $150

- Hand vises such as the Press and Snap Tool at about $129

- The various setters with dies at about $20

I am leaning towards the cheapest route until I can maybe find one of the vises or presses used. Am I heading in the right direction?

I see there are different manufacturers also. Do you need specific a specific manufacturer's tool or die to match the snap, or does just the size need to match?

Also, how do you know what tool or die fits what snap/rivet/grommet? I see on some of the web stores, the dies and snaps/rivets/grommets are matched.

Thanks in advance!

I have several sets of hand tool setters from Tandy. They have served me will for over 30 years. They work well for the types of things I like to make: purses; writing bi-folds; quivers; western style holsters. They are small and portable and can fit into tight/small spaces. On the down side they are small and can move out of alignment easily. It also takes practice in understanding the amount of striking force to use when setting them. There is also the fact that there are usually less than 10 of any of these on one of my projects so I don't have to set many of them. Since you don't mention the types of projects you will be using these on and the number of pieces per project you will be setting, it is hard to give any advice other than to consider the quantity of them you plan to use on a project.

BillB

With time, . . . a little practice, . . . a couple ruined projects, . . . and a small box full of wasted/broken/folded/spindled snaps, rivets, etc, . . . you can learn to use the tools sold at Tandy's.

For line 24 snaps, . . . go to Hobby Lobby (they have it on line also, but you'll have to call their 800 number to order it as it is hard to find in that Pakistani web site of theirs), . . . they sell a blue handled snap setter for around $23.00, . . . it is head and shoulders above the Tandy tool. You'll find it on the wall where they sell their sewing tools (scissors, tapes, needles, rotary cutters, etc).

The SKU number for that tool is 733006.

Rivets, . . . the Tandy tool is fine.

Grommets, . . . Harbor Freight is your store, . . . have a salesperson show em to you, . . . everything from the little string grommets with about a 3/32 hole, . . . up to the big brass ones for tarps.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight