Dan Marbut

Do You Know What This Is ?

I have a piece of harness I guess . I don't know what it is, can anyone help me find out what this piece is ? It is made with leather on it. I took pics of it from different angles if anyone needs a different view please let me know. Thanks

post-18288-015535500 1299902861_thumb.jp

post-18288-032812800 1299902877_thumb.jp

post-18288-010641700 1299902885_thumb.jp

post-18288-059514200 1299902894_thumb.jp

post-18288-079895000 1299902900_thumb.jp

post-18288-048095600 1299902907_thumb.jp

post-18288-033491100 1299902918_thumb.jp

post-18288-022646700 1299902927_thumb.jp

It might be part of a back band. Looks like the straps ( can't remember what their called ) that hold the shafts on a buggy. Or i could be a 100% wrong to. Do you have horse handy to set on it's back to see how it fits ?

I now i have seen some weird looking harness from Europe, or it looks weird to me.

See anything familiar ? Old dog harness. to small for a mule or horse. I'd put money on working dog tack. Mebbe a place to start looking. and if you found it local in the south, thats prime tracking dog country.

post-19931-064684900 1299916862_thumb.jp

Edited by knuckles34

It might be part of a back band. Looks like the straps ( can't remember what their called ) that hold the shafts on a buggy. Or i could be a 100% wrong to. Do you have horse handy to set on it's back to see how it fits ?

I now i have seen some weird looking harness from Europe, or it looks weird to me.

Thanks for your comment, I was told that it was a back band for an oxen but I do not think they use back bands when they work oxen. You are right though, I have seen weird stuff from other countries.

That is true it could be a dog harness part. Thanks for your comment and sorry I replied in the wrong spot lol

See anything familiar ? Old dog harness. to small for a mule or horse. I'd put money on working dog tack. Mebbe a place to start looking. and if you found it local in the south, thats prime tracking dog country.

Thanks for your comment, I was told that it was a back band for an oxen but I do not think they use back bands when they work oxen. You are right though, I have seen weird stuff from other countries.

That is true it could be a dog harness part. Thanks for your comment and sorry I replied in the wrong spot lol

I have only seen oxen being used with a yoke and thats it. I have never seen another part of harness on them.

i seriously doubt that is anything dog related....ive seen nearly every type of dog harness and never seen anything made with wood. i cant really tell the size from the pics but possibly from a goat harness....they are sometimes similar to horse harness...

I have seen something that looked quite similar made out of metal that fastened to the front of the breast collar on team harness in order to carry the pole.

Edited by catskin

It looks like one side of a set of hames. Hames are what hold the harness to the collar. I have never seen any like that though so your guess is as good as mine.

Come to think of it, they did make hames out of wood. Is it wood covered with leather?

Yep Im going with hames mcn got it id say. Wooden Hames

Sorry but I mildly disagree. I have several sets of wooden hames here, some likely a 100 years old, and have seen a lot of others. The reason they don't seem to me to be hames are the ends appear to have the same curve at both ends and the round rings on the ends. BUT there may have been some like that. The size is hard to tell but it looks small to me.

Actually hame was my first thought but looking closer I changed my mind.

Hmmmmm now Im wondering what this is lol

it's a Harness that could have came from Holland and was used to pull a milk cart..

naw it isnt any kind of hames that I have seen or can imagine. I've shown it to several several older men who drove mules and horses all their lives. Maybe some type hames from somewhere else but not native I don't believe. I titled some of the pics with the measurements where I could

from another country....hmm that is the best description I have heard. That is gonna send me on a search, lol. Thanks I am encouraged again

it's a Harness that could have came from Holland and was used to pull a milk cart..

I'm gonna say that it is a decorative item made to confuse future generations. :whistle:

Why the interest in this item? Just to know, or does it pertain to something else?