ClayB

Sheridan Photos

Hey everyone, doing this quick before work. For now you can see my pictures from Sheridan here.

Or not,

I'll try again tonight

Clay, I can see you're like me, you like to take loads of pictures! :lol: I sure I'm dreaming of the day when I'll be able to attend one of these shows. They really look like fun. How was it?

Thanks for sharing these with us. There's a lot of beautiful pieces in there. Are you going to add comments to the pictures? I hope so. It'll be fun looking at them again and having the info. No pressure though, I only know too well how time consuming that can be!

Some people can be so creative, like that angel with the ribbons. It's just amazing what one can do with leather.

Some others are just plain amazing with their decorative cuts. Man, just plain amazing!

And what about Noah's Ark. Geez, quite imaginative!

Thanks again for sharing, Clay. It's a real source of inspiration! :)

Edited by Myriam

Hey Clay,

thanks for the photos... for those of us who couldn't make it this year, your post is much appreciated!

Darc

great pics clay, thanks

Ok, I'm gonna try this again. See if clicking here works.

Thanks Myriam for pointing people in the direction I was trying to send them. I couldn't find the album on my own photo site this morning, but I think I have that fixed now. I'll try and get the photos burned to a CD soon and send them off to Johanna so she can make them more easily available to everyone. I'll also try and add captions to the photos on my dotphoto site as time allows. As for the pictures you mentioned, the angel is from Peter Main and took a blue ribbon (again). It really is an amazing piece of work as you can tell by the close ups. The "Noah's Ark" piece was done by Richard Passey from Salt Lake City, Utah. One of Richard's specailties is pop up books out of leather. He has done several of these in different themes including one for Oprah and one for one of the presidents of the Morman church. He also does some really nice extreme embossed pictures. There seem to be more and more people using a lot of swivel knife cuts to decorate their work. I tried to get some close ups of some of this. Some of these people are doing some really great stuff with just a swivel knife.

Charley Bay had asked me to make sure I got some pictures of Akieko's(Kathy help me out with this spelling please!) half size saddle and I tried, but of course those pictures had to come out blurry. So did all of my pictures of Cheryl McIntyre, the 2008 Al Stohlman award winner. Congrats to Cheryl!!!! Kathy (Yaklady) and I had a nice talk with Cheryl Saturday afternoon. I have been trying to convince Cheryl to join our forum for quite some time now and she finally said she would, although she said she didn't think she would have much time to participate. It sounds like she is VERY busy teaching leatherwork all around Australia. Hopefully we can get her schedule posted here so those of you down under can have a chance to catch up with her someplace. Cheryl is also the organizer of the Dimensions in Leather conference held in Australia every other year and the next one will be held in July 2009. We'll post more on that as information becomes available. Cheryl also said she would send some pictures of some of her work, and those will be posted as soon as I get them as well.

Quite a few of the pictures I posted were from the kids class held each year in Sheridan with Jim Linnell and Tony Laier, thier wives Denise and Kay, and a bunch of volunteer assistants. This year, Rick Vine, a Columbine Guild member who happens to live in Sheridan, did a lot of advertising for the class and the unofficial report was that their were 43 kids in attendance. Jim and Tony do an awesome job of introducing these kids to leathercraft and as you should be able to tell from some of these pictures, they were really having a great time. Going by one of the pictures, some of the helpers for the class were Cheryl Katzke, Phil Keller, Rick Vine, Tom Katzke, Kathy Flanagan, Charley Bay, Leon Sevier, Dave Smith, Kay (something that I think starts with an O) and the two Japanese ladies, one is Akieko (again HELP Kathy!!!, I know I spelled that wrong and cant think of the other one's name at all) I know there are others that weren't in the picture that deserve to be mentioned here too.

This trip to Sheridan was way to quick. I missed seeing a lot of people, like Bruce and Rundi, Denise and Rod, and probably a whole lot more. I did get to spend some time with really good friends like Kathy and Charley and that is priceless. I also got to spend some time with Richard Hidalgo and it was really nice to see him again. I met Johan, what a great guy and he was a really good sport at the banquet!! I got to talk to Bob Beard and left a little more drool on his sample racks of tools. It sounds like Bob spent a lot of time at this show apologizing to people for being so behind on his tool orders, but his good friends and loyal customers know that when they finally get thier orders, it will be worth the wait!! In the booth next to Bob was Jeff Mosby and WC. It was nice to see both of them too and Jeff said sales were going really well.

At the banquet on Saturday evening, two people from our table recieved awards for their show entries. CherlyKatzke got a second on her braided reins. I hadn't seen them yet at that time, but when I did, I was really impressed. I had no idea she did that kind of work. Kathy Flanagan also took a second with the gun case she posted pictures of. Kathy makes some of the neatest cases I have ever seen. She also had her mule picture in the show (from the Wickenburg competition). It didn't take a ribbon which tells you how tough the competition at this show was. I would have hated to have been one of the judges here. I tried to get a bunch of close ups of this piece because the work she put into the details is just amazing!! Yeah, Kathy is a special friend so I'm a little predjudiced, but this was one of my favorite pieces in this show.

Sunday morning was spent taking pictures of the show entries and picking up the few things I needed to buy. I had a chance to share some of my work with Jan Schoonover and his wife Alice, and also with Bob Beard. Jan and Bob have taught me so much and I owe both of them more thanks than I could ever tell them. It was really rewarding to be able to show them how I have used what they have taught me and get their opinions of how it turned out. Even though it was a short trip, it was a lot of fun and I am already looking forward to next year.

You're welcome, Clay. I had some problems myself accessing them yesterday.

In case it might help you sort it out (and others gain access), if clicking the link you gave yesterday morning brings the home page of dotphoto, try clicking on the link in your sig, then clicking again the link you provided. Just tried it from work and that's how I was able to access them.

On closer examination, I see that the first part of yesterday's link says "www.dotphoto" while this morning's link says "clayb.dotphoto". Could it be why it wasn't working right yesterday since it wasn't directly linked to your album? This morning's link should work fine, I believe.

Re Noah's Ark - You mean that is an actual book which can be closed? *jaw drops to floor*

Yup, I noticed the pictures of the kids. Lots of them and having a great time too!

Sounds like you really had a great time there, Clay. Makes me all the more eager to be in the US and really get going with my leather stuff!

Thanks for the details you added on the show this morning. Makes me feels like I was part of it in a way (yeah, I know, I'm weird :P )

Clay her name is Akiko

I really missed being there.

Clay,

Thaks so much for sharing the photos, and thanks especially for including the name tags in the photos with the items. It is great to be able to see who is responsible for these works of art!

Mike

Clay, thanks for taking the time to post these pictures. Going through them really let's you see all the great talented leather artists out there. Looking at the saddles always amazes me, then you get to the Angel by Peter Main, and you can't help but to just stare in awe at such beautiful work. Keep going and you see the Bobcat, WOW...no really WOW. When I got to Noah's Ark, well that was it, simply stunning work, the detail and colors, I just can't imagine the time it took to not only carve all that, but also to assemble it as well.

Thank you again for posting these, for all of us that are not able to get to such great shows.

And congrats to Kathy and all the others that won ribbons.

Ken

Hey everyone, doing this quick before work. For now you can see my pictures from Sheridan here.

Or not,

I'll try again tonight

GREAT pix Clay,

There are some pictures of the different items in the leather debut that I particularly like, can I download and save them?

There are also couple of pictures of Wayne's Saddle as well as one of Wayne Christensen from Standing Bear's, May I save these to my computer?

Thank you for sharing these great pictures from Sheridan!

Great album, Clay! Thanks for posting it. I'm glad you took lots of pictures of the people who attended as well. The one you took of the kids at Tony's workshop was priceless, and it was nice to see a few familiar faces.

Kate

I'm am glad that you guys and gals are enjoying the photos. I really like being able to see pictures from the shows that I can't attend, so I am just trying to pass that on to those of you that couldn't attend this one.

Sandy, I am pretty sure I have it set so that you can save the pictures off that album to your computer. If it doesn't allow you to, just let me know which ones you want and I can email them to you.

Myriam and Ken, yes, the Noah's Ark is a pop up book that opens and closes, just like a pop up card does. These are pretty big books with a lot of detail in them. This one was displayed on top of a mirror so you could see all the carving on the back from underneath. The others I have seen will close flat and be about an inch and a half thick. Richard told me how many hours he had in this book but I cant remember. I am thinking it was about 300. I think I have pictures of some of his other pop up books somewhere and if I remember where, I'll try and post them.

Kate, I think Tony was going to try and hire that little boy next to him. I wish I would have taken the video camera for that class. There always seems to be at least one kid that keeps the crowd entertained.

Sandy, I am pretty sure I have it set so that you can save the pictures off that album to your computer. If it doesn't allow you to, just let me know which ones you want and I can email them to you.

They are set that way, thanks again!

Sandi

Are you going to add comments to the pictures? I hope so. It'll be fun looking at them again and having the info.

I just finished adding comments to the photos. Seemed like a good thing to do since the wind is gusting to 50 MPH this morning. Not a good day to set rafters. Funny how even when you take 250 pictures, you still dont get good pictures of everything.

"Going by one of the pictures, some of the helpers for the class were Cheryl Katzke, Phil Keller, Rick Vine, Tom Katzke, Kathy Flanagan, Charley Bay, Leon Sevier, Dave Smith, Kay (something that I think starts with an O) and the two Japanese ladies, one is Akieko (again HELP Kathy!!!, I know I spelled that wrong and cant think of the other one's name at all)"

Clay, here I am to rescue you!

As Anne stated, it's Akiko. Her last name is Okada. She lives in the Tokyo area and teaches leather craft there, here, and in Australia. She spent six weeks building that little saddle under Clint Fay's instruction, drawing out her own pattern. She did a beautiful job! She used Fiebing's Orange Dye on the bachgrounded areas on the pattern, and mahogany paste antique over that. I never would have thought of using orange!

The other people Clay could find the names of under his hat are Sachiko Toyoshima, the other Japanese lady who lives in Denver, and Kay Orton. Kay is the secretary of Colorado Saddle Makers Association, and an outstanding 4-H leather craft leader in the Grand Junction area of Colorado. She and others are striving to rewrite the 4-H leather craft books for Colorado and Wyoming.

"I did get to spend some time with really good friends like Kathy and Charley and that is priceless."

Clay, there is nothing better than spending time with people who have turned into such good friends. Sheridan is the perfect place to find those friends.

Kathy

I just finished adding comments to the photos. Seemed like a good thing to do since the wind is gusting to 50 MPH this morning. Not a good day to set rafters. Funny how even when you take 250 pictures, you still dont get good pictures of everything.

Thanks for adding the comments, Clay. Makes the gallery even more enjoyable :)

Know what you mean about pictures. On my first trip to ND, I took over 700 pictures in the Theodore Roosevelt Park alone! :lol:

I hate to brag, but one of my pictures came out better than the one Clay took! That's Akiko smiling in the leather framed mirror. In Clay's picture of the mirror, all you see is his arm. Am I good, or what???

08sheridan1.jpg

post-1462-1211636599_thumb.jpg

Here is some info on the 2008 Al Stohlman award winner Cherryl McIntyre, forwarded from her friend Peter Main.

...I have had a number of emails asking 'who is Cherryl McIntyre' (the 2008 'Al Stohlman Award for Excellence' winner).

It was Al's wish, when the award began many years ago, that it be presented for the devotion, dedication and the promotion of teaching leathercraft....and not so for the individual talent of a particular leather craftsperson....Cherryl fits this criteria to a tee...including the individual talent.

Over the past thirty four years, Cherryl has had an association with leather...she has been a business manager, buyer, staff trainer, researcher and product developer for tanneries, leather retail and wholesale manufacturers. Also a consultant and teacher throughout Queensland, Australia (which is 3 times the size of Texas).

Cherryl is the organizer and conductor of workshops and seminars, including the past six 'Dimensions in Leather'...a week long international teaching conference, held in Brisbane. She has taught hundreds of classes, (sometimes driving hundreds of miles in the 'outback') to thousands of people, including children, adults, retirees, Vietnam vets, hospital patients, correctional facility inmates, businesses and institutions, teaching all levels, from beginners to advanced. Cheryl has won many prizes in Australia with her work, including over forty awards of excellence.

I attach here a photo of Cherryl in her Brisbane workshop...also part of a wedding bouquet (made from fine kangaroo), and a close-up shot (the frog) of some embossed applique.

So...that is who Cherryl is,

Peter

CHERRYL_M_JAN_08jpg.jpgCherrly__s_frog.jpg

Cherryl__s_Bridal_flowers_.jpg

and a couple pictures of some things I have that Cherryl made.

cherryl_mcintyre_box.jpg

cherryl_mcintyre_box_2.jpgcheryll_mcintyre_flower.jpg

post-12-1211753527_thumb.jpg

post-12-1211753561_thumb.jpg

post-12-1211753598_thumb.jpg

post-12-1211753669_thumb.jpg

post-12-1211753696_thumb.jpg

post-12-1211753719_thumb.jpg

Clay, thanks again for all the pictures you've been posting. I am amazed at this ladies work, the frog and those flowers....WOW.

Ken