There are some really good tutorials on here, but I have some situation specific questions.

First are there any guides/threads that I could look thru? (IWB holster keywork ended up being a wild goose chase)

I want to make a IWB holster for a Ruger LCR. Thing is I don't wear a belt, and if I do, its a thin one, not something anything could really clip or use as support.

How do I select the spring clip? (Size, and shape)

Any specific considerations for this type of holster/carry situation.

Thanks in advance!

The best I can offer is pant waists are NOT designed to hold up a weapon. Even the smallish LCR is going to give you trouble if you try to hang it off the pants wasit line or a thin belt. You may want to consider a a back pocket holster or buying a good belt to carry with.

Sorry, hate to rain on anyones parade.

This is only my opinion, but, don't use the clips. You will look pretty silly pointing your holster at the BG.

Use straps, leather or kydex. There are lots of pictures of completed IWB holsters on this forum to give you ideas to work on.

Also just MHO but you can get away with a lot less belt when carrying IWB than OWB. I often wear a single layer 10oz bridle leather belt when carrying AIWB. My OWB belts are all double layer 7/8oz.

Dan

Sounds like a elastic waistband belly holster is the ticket. Semper-fi Mike

well bummer.

I guess it might be time to visit the 'how to make a belt' forum too :)

Thanks for the replies!

Would you knowingly build a house on an unstable foundation? The belt is the foundation of your carry rig.

Bronson

It's pretty simple to make a holster for the back pocket. Because the LCP is so flat and right-angled, it's easy to work with.

I took a small board and used it to make the top cover for the pistol by wet molding the leather over the gun. (Actually, I made a wooden model, but you can also use the pistol and just cover it well with Saran wrap.) Mold the leather over the pistol using pins or wire brads to hold it to the board as you mold it. Let dry a bit, then remove the gun and let if finish drying.

Next, cut a thick piece of leather that will fit in the pocket. If you want, you can use 2 thinner pieces, just sew the cover onto one of them before gluing and sewing them together. Trim the molded piece of leather so that you have enough edging to be able to sew. Place on the flat part and sew them together. Unless the molded portion is very stiff, you may want to put the pistol inside as you get it attached. BE SURE the TRIGGER is covered. Legal reasons - just trust me.

Thought I had a pic of the one I did, but can't find it. I actually did a couple before I worked out the bugs.

If you look on the elsiepea web site, there are various holsters being marketed.

TexasJack, its a Ruger LCR (a revolver), not a Ruger LCP (that teeny-tiny semiauto). A pocket holster might work for a big guy like me, wearing baggy trousers. Probably not so much for a younger female fashion slave....

Wayward Shrimp - concealing a firearm requires some compromises for most people. You can either choose your firearm and build your wardrobe around it, or choose your wardrobe and select your firearm based upon it. You don't wear a gunbelt, and have chosen a Ruger LCR. To ME, this seems to call for a lightweight shoulder holster, constructed in such a manner as to place the revolver in one of two natural hollows - either just below the armpit, or just beneath and to the outside of the breast. This, of course, would require some sort of cover garment - a vest, a sweater, an outer shirt, or a loose primary shirt. Mind you, I am making several ASSUMPTIONS here. I am assuming that you are hesitant to change your wardrobe, that you are small in stature, and that you are not willing or able to select a different firearm.

You MIGHT consider a paddle holster, but that'd put the body of the holster outside the waistband necessitating a longer cover garment, and the weight of the pistol and holster would still pull the waistband down.

If you decide to go forth with the IWB holster with clips, I'd recommend wide clips to maximize the grip on the pants, and not doing any detail boning of the leather AT ALL, because more retention would be the LAST thing you want without a belt to anchor the holster to.

In my younger years, I cared about being fashionable. At this age, I don't much care. I prefer to carry full-sized, full-powered handguns, and am willing to commit any fashion crimes necessary to accomodate this. I tend to carry in OWB holsters at the 3 o'clock position, under shirts that could have been made by Omar the Tentmaker. :spoton:

Edited by Big O

Well girl, just a point from a grumpy old man. I have carried a handgun in open carry (LEO gunbelt) and in concealed carry, now, for over 40 years.. One thing that you must understand is that to carry concealed, you must dress to conceal..........not try to conceal as you now (normally) dress. Unfortunately, that's the way of things, if you are to do it satisfactorily. Modifications are usually necessary. Mike

I wish someone had a magic pill for your specific situation, but there doesn't seem to be a good cure for what ails you.

IWB almost demands a belt for anchoring the clip or attaching straps with line snaps. Pocket carry requies looser fitting pants than I've seen most women rockin nowadays. Front or rear pocket carry will aslo require a long enough shirt to cover the bulge, which is tough in warm weather. Don't even bother trying an ankle holster, they'll get ya killed (trying to unholster in a hurry is tough AND it can hang on brake/clutch pedals when driving or make you trip and fall).

Marine MP seems to be onto something with the belly band. I haven't tried it, but an LCR is light enough and I hear they are cofy. I hate to recommend it, but off-body carry is also an option. Putting your revolver in a fanny pack is best, since purses are the first thing snatched.

Whatever you choose, I'm glad you're packin' and hope you find something you like. Rethinking that belt gives you the most option, but I'm sure you already realize that.

Edited by BigK

Many of the above posts are very good.... but let me add....

I have not made my own leather holster yet (around a dozen Kydex Plastic Holsters) but let me advise that if and when it becomes time to draw your gun in a emergency you will be behind the curve (Too Late and needing to catch up). You will want to find the gun exactly where you left it and draw in the fastest way possible. The action will be close, fast and violent. You will want to be on the move which makes finding, drawing and aiming the firearm even more difficult.

This all means a belt mounted holster designed to stay where it is on a sturdy thick well made belt. Then when you find the best life assurance/insurance system learn to dress around it and know you have done every thing you can to survive.

Being a women you will find it somewhat more difficult to position the holster as your hips can get in the way of the classic right handed 3-4:00 position (Center the clock on the navel). You may have to go forward to the AIWB (Appendix) position or slightly further back so the butt of the gun is not jambed into your ribs. The good news is thousands of women have solved these problems and successfully carry every day.

Even better an oversized jacket, sweater or top is considered stylish by many so there will be ways to hide not only a small revolver, but even larger firearms.

Good luck

post-19382-048709100 1301091312_thumb.jppost-19382-024398000 1301091311_thumb.jppost-19382-028081000 1301091310_thumb.jppost-19382-048709100 1301091312_thumb.jppost-19382-081922700 1301091313_thumb.jppost-19382-065094700 1301091314_thumb.jppost-19382-047888100 1301091315_thumb.jppost-19382-027867000 1301091316_thumb.jppost-19382-006040600 1301091317_thumb.jp

There are some really good tutorials on here, but I have some situation specific questions.

First are there any guides/threads that I could look thru? (IWB holster keywork ended up being a wild goose chase)

I want to make a IWB holster for a Ruger LCR. Thing is I don't wear a belt, and if I do, its a thin one, not something anything could really clip or use as support.

How do I select the spring clip? (Size, and shape)

Any specific considerations for this type of holster/carry situation.

Thanks in advance!

Here was my solution for my LCP. I used belt clips from Tandy that I got on sale a few months back (like Item #1239-00, but in black), and the pattern and holster has cuts for a belt as well so I can wear it as an OWB should I desire. It was made with 8-9oz and hand stitched, I wet formed and boned it using the pistol, I just dried the gun off and all was well.

I wear the clips over the pants and under the belt, if that makes sense. They are quite strong and I haven't had an issue with the holster pulling free when I've drawn the gun.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thank you all so much for your replies! The knowledge and experience you share is invaluable. :)

I had a pretty awesome reply, that addressed most replies personally, and of course, thats when my computer chose to crash. I'll do my best to cover what I said but man am i aggravated >:(

Taking all into account I will be moving forward with a belted design of some sort.

I guess I was all little vague (or maybe bratty?) in the original post. I have no qualms with belts, just currently don't have the habit (or possession of one) wearing them. Seeing the clips it seamed to make scene that loops=belt clip=no belt. But I'm not going to argue with years of experience and very very sound logic. Belts are my future :)

As it is I am indeed small (5'1" and while I'm not heavy but I'm no twig...) so finding properly fitting clothes is sometimes a challenge, awkward new lump or no... But finally I have no reservations about making adjustments, and hopefully it won't be to much of a nightmare...

To me, on-body is the only option. I want it in easy reach, held securely and no chance of leaving it in a bag somewhere.

As far as pocket carry, even my men's jeans hardly have room for my wallet. Which, is there because I only wear a purse when I have no pockets (and I'll wear a jacket with pockets first...) So i luck out that in the purse is not top of the list of best ways to carry :)

CDMatherne, I really like what you have done with that holster idea. Especially the multi function (OWB ad IWB).

Again thank you all so much for your input and opinions. :)

Perhaps, since I missed the whole shoe thing most women get into, I'll have a holster for every occasion... j/k

Soooo, in summary I will likely be moving forward with something on a nice belt, with leather loops. Likely also rough out.

TexasJack, its a Ruger LCR (a revolver), not a Ruger LCP (that teeny-tiny semiauto). A pocket holster might work for a big guy like me, wearing baggy trousers. Probably not so much for a younger female fashion slave....

[...]

In my younger years, I cared about being fashionable. At this age, I don't much care. I prefer to carry full-sized, full-powered handguns, and am willing to commit any fashion crimes necessary to accomodate this. I tend to carry in OWB holsters at the 3 o'clock position, under shirts that could have been made by Omar the Tentmaker. :spoton:

this made me laugh so hard!

Unfortunately, I can make a relatively small shirt look like a dress. Which i guess is good for concealing things... not so good for avoiding being confused with a little kid... lol

Unfortunately, I can make a relatively small shirt look like a dress. Which i guess is good for concealing things... not so good for avoiding being confused with a little kid... lol

That IS good for concealing things. Since you're going with a belt, this expands your options quite a bit. Put on one of those shirts and take a good look at yourself in the mirror. There are bound to be places around the waistline where it hangs away from the body more than at other places. Also, explore the waistline between the pants and the body, for natural hollows which lend themselves to comfortable carry. If you can find a spot that fits BOTH those criteria, and is easy for you to reach, you might have just found the PERFECT spot for YOU to wear a holster!

My trick at that point is to place the handgun on that spot, against the belt, find a comfortable angle and height, go through at least ten simulated draws from an imaginary holster at that location, and then note where the line of the top of the belt crosses the handgun. Replicate that line on your pattern, and your holster will be just the way you want it.

TexasJack, its a Ruger LCR (a revolver), not the LCP...

Ooops, my bad.

Guess I need to put back up my "Dyslexics of the World, Untie!" sign.

Still, the LCR is pretty small. Maybe move to an ankle holster.

Something you might consider is a thing I noticed on a pair of Wrangler Jeans...

Lots of guys carry a pocket knife with a clip on it in the jeans front pocket. Wrangle took notice and also realized the clips ended up tearing th stitching out or the corner of the pocket when they pulled the knife and put it back after a period of time. They sew in a piece of leather in the corner protecting the jeans.

You might try sewing in two pieces of leather with one half of a line 24 snap on it, and then make your IWB holster with the straps having the other half of the line 24 snap on them. You could laminate a piece of .030 kydex or something stiff you can bend to the shape of a long U and use that for the keeper pat of the holster holding it in position inside the pants.