andystevens

Great Basin Gear Show Chinks

This a pair of chinks I built for the Great Basin Gear Show that was held this past January in Elko NV. The brown base is 4oz. from Stevenson-Paxton and the dark brown that I used for the fringe and the underlay is 3-4oz. from Hide and Leather House. I used 8-9oz. tooling leather from Thoroughbred Leather for all of the carved pieces and finished them out with a 1" sterling silver bar buckle and 1/2" sterling conchos on the leg shields. If you look close I under laid dark brown under the tooled pieces and used a #8 drive punch with half of it cut away to form a small half round punch to pink the edge. On the edges through the crotch and down the back of the leg I cut a 1 1/8" wide piece of dark brown and then pinked 1 side with the #8 punch, then I glued front and back of the edge and bound the edges with the pinking on the top side. Then I cut the fringe 8" long cutting both layers at the same time you just have to be careful to keep both even and aligned. I finished them up with latigo leg straps and stainless steel 5/8" buckles and a piece of latigo tied in a futurity knot for the front closure. I forgot about the back belt it is 1" wide, carved, lined and stitched. Thank you all for looking and letting me share.

100_1344.jpg100_1346.jpg100_1347.jpg

post-6647-1211424212_thumb.jpg

post-6647-1211424446_thumb.jpg

post-6647-1211424534_thumb.jpg

Andy,

Great attention to the details....stitching, edging, tooling, linings, pinking and the complimentary silver conchos on the leg shields in the flower centers. The detailed description of the work and leather used is great. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Ben

Really really nice work. So for pinking the edges did you just grind off a #8 punch or does some make a half round? I've ground off punches for that but they don't seem to last too long that way.

By the way you've got a really nice website. Love those chinks with the black and white corkscrew fringe. Steve Bell from Eclectic Horseman did our website too, he sure does a good job on them.

Beautiful pair of chinks! The depth in the tooled pieces looks awesome. Also really like the small conchos, very nice with the carving!

WOW ! ! !

Great lookin chinks.

Just a quick question Andy.

How do you finish the carving ??

Do you oil, what type of finish do you use ??

Love the way the finish looks.

Edited by craftsman827

Glad I dont have a carer as a chap maker... gona have to change my info deal that says I like to make chaps and chinks cause I ain't never gona (is that a triple double negative?) be that good!!! lol

Great job on these by the way!!!!!!

ClayM.

Andy,

I have been studying the fertility knot on the front. Could you share some details about tying the knot itself? Thanks!

Regards,

Ben

Really really nice work. So for pinking the edges did you just grind off a #8 punch or does some make a half round? I've ground off punches for that but they don't seem to last too long that way.

By the way you've got a really nice website. Love those chinks with the black and white corkscrew fringe. Steve Bell from Eclectic Horseman did our website too, he sure does a good job on them.

I just cut and ground a Osborne #8 drive punch to make the small half round. When doing it I used my Foredom flex shaft with a cut off wheel then hand file it so it the metal doesn't over heat and lose its temper, using a grinding wheel creates to much heat and the temper is lost in the cutting edge.

WOW ! ! !Great lookin chinks.Just a quick question Andy.How do you finish the carving ??Do you oil, what type of finish do you use ??Love the way the finish looks.
I use pure olive oil applying 2 or 3 light coats and then I finished these with a mahogany colored Neat-Lac. Before I did that I dyed the background with mahogany oil dye. The edges were slicked and dyed with marine cordovan dye.
Andy,I have been studying the fertility knot on the front. Could you share some details about tying the knot itself? Thanks!Regards,Ben
Ben,When I get a chance I will post a little deal on the futurity knot for brow bands and front belts for chinks and chaps..