Sign in to follow this  
chaosready

Which Size Edge Beveler? And Other Questions

I have a #3 Craftool edge beveler in my shopping cart at Springfield Leather. Anyone know if this is the proper size for beveling 7/8 oz leather? Also, how long does it take for a beveler to lose it's edge, and what's the procedure for resharpening? Thanks

-Thomas

I am a complete newbie, so hopefully someone with real knowledge will answer properly, but I did watch a video on the tandy web site that showed how to make a sharpener for a beveler, might point you in the right direction

Natalie

i would say more like a #2 beveler...

In my opinion it is a matter of taste. Some people like very rounded edges and others like the more square look.

I will sometimes use different size edgers on the same piece in different areas. Remember that no matter the weight of your leather you may have multiple layers. When you make a knife sheath you will have a front, back and a welt to prevent the knife from cutting the thread so you will be edging three pieces of maybe 8oz. leather in some places and one piece of 8oz. leather in other areas of the sheath for a large knife.

I would purchase at least two different sizes and three would probably serve you better.

But remember there is no right or wrong in this matter.

As for sharpening the Tandy craftool V shaped beveler I recommend using 220 wet dry sandpaper and a rag buffer with green rouge. If you strop with the buffer often you will not have to use the 220 very often.

Edited by ghstrydr164

Some good points made above. They would be why most experianced leatherworkers have a good varietyof edge bevelers. I most strongly reccomend that any and all leatherworkers have a copy of Al Stohlmans book on using and taking care of leathercraft tools. AL Stohlman : Leathercraft Tools *How to use them *How to sharpen them

It may be the best buy you ever make! But then, any of Al's books are worth more than what you pay for them.