rmr

Where To Get A Round Knife

Would like some recommendations. I have a 4.25" tandy ( al Stohlman ) round knife. Based on what I have read in several books and on this forum, many letaherworkers have several differrent shape and size round knifes for differrent purposes.

I would like to get some sources on where to buy good quality round knifes ( other than weaver and Tandy) and based on what I already have- your recommendations on a shape and size for me to consider.

Also- what is the differrence between a head knife and a round knife??? Is it a size thing and or is one used for specific purposes??

Thanks

RMR

I can recommend two sources who can help you acquire a quality knife that will suit your needs. Bob Douglas and Bruce Johnson. Bruce is a moderator here on LW. He is also an saddlemaker and has a lot of first hand experience on using a round knife. Bruce Johnson.

Bob Douglas is also a saddlemaker and a perveyor of fine tools. His number is 307-737-2222.

Both will help you.

Bobby

Grab one of those gomph or rose round knives that Bruce has, those things are wonderful knives. I love mind. Bruce really cleans up the knives and puts a great edge on them. Highly recommended. They are more pricey then say the tandy stohlman ones but well worth it.

Thanks to both of you for the referrences

RMR

Can't really say good things about the Stohlman knives. However sure agree on the Comp or rose knives. You can find some real fine old

ones at flea markets and yard sales. The knife should have a thin blade and ring if you thump it, if it makes a tump sound don't but it.