Sign in to follow this  
Sixer

Ammo / Shell Carrier

can anyone give me info or tips on how to make shell carriers?

Something like the pictures below... Are they stitched between every shell?

Is there any wet molding involved?

Just kind of lost on where to start....

I appreciate the help!

post-13450-056095400 1304125017_thumb.jp

post-13450-089601200 1304125030_thumb.jp

I appreciate the help!

In the two pictures you show, it appears one is stitched between and one is not. I'm no pro, but I made mine without stitching between each one. I simply made regularly spaced slits in my "base" leather and laced the thiner leather through the slits basket weave style. I then stitched each end to secure it. It worked well for me.

There are several ways to do it. Do a search on here for Will Ghormley and tutorial. He showed maybe the easiest way to make cartridge loops and included good pictures. (You can check out any number of western movies to see the quality of Will's work!) He gets the first cartridge in a loop, then measures that to pre-punch holes to sew the rest of them. There are only a couple of stitches for each loop by this method.

You can also use rivets between loops, which is also pretty fast.

At some time or other, Chuck Burrows showed how to stitch loops. That's the only method I've used, and it wasn't very hard to do. You sew one end, then put a cartridge in and sew it down. Then move to the next cartridge loop until done. A bit slower than Will's method.

As has already been pointed out, you can put in regularly spaced slots and "weave" the strip for the cartridge loops through that, fastening it at both ends with either stitching or rivets. Very simple and fast, but you risk the loops becoming loose if one cartridge is missing.

All of these methods have been used for many years and will work.

Oh, you wet the leather that is going to make the loops before you start. That way it will bend into place and mold tightly.

I appreciate the help!

Use extreme caution if you wet the loop leather when lacing your loops! The leather will stretch as you pull and work on it. If your loop material is 7/8" wide by the time you get done with 6 loops you can lose enough width to see with the naked eye. I make a LOT of ammo pouches/cartridge slides. I do it this way.

Cut your loop material and put a bit of neats foot to keep it supple. sew your end, and pass it through the first slot (a 3/4" slot cutter works best) pass it back through the same hole forming your loop. Put the bullet into the loop and gently work tight as you require. Lay the pouch down on the work bench and use the rounded end of a tandy slicking tool (the tongue depresser one) into the slot you just made the loop in. This will bend the loop material. Theny rub the tongue depresser along the top of the project next to the loop you just made. It will bend and form the material giving a nice square fold to your loop material. Then proceed to the next loop, until you reach the end.

Note.... for 44 mag you will need approx 16" of loop material for 6 loops, spaced about 9/16" apart...

I have made hundreds of cartridge loops items and have never had a problem with loops doing it this way... but using wet leather in my loops has always led to some stretching or other issues. It took much longer to type this than do it. Use good dense loop material..I prefer about a 5-6 wt as it is easy to work with and tools nicely as well (dense material!)...

If I can be of any more help just email me... I'd be glad to show how I do it so you can find what works best for you..

regards...

I punch 3/4 inch bag punch holes, . . . 5/8 inch apart on centers. I cut my 5/6 veggie tan leather with a strap cutter, . . . 13/16 wide, . . . and burnish both edges.

I use a 56 inch piece to make 20 belt loops, . . . secure one end (sew or rivet), . . . feed the other end through the slot, . . . up and over, . . . back down through the same hole, . . . insert a cartridge of the appropriate size, . . . pull tight, . . . flatten the back side, . . . do it again, . . . until done. I leave the cartridges in the belt for about an hour or so, . . . then gently pull them out.

From the side, . . . my belt looks something like the little drawing.

I never have any issues with shrinkage, . . . and I don't use neatsfoot oil on my cartridge belts because I am sloppy, . . . and if it slop too much of it on my leather, . . . it becomes floppy and to me, . . . ugly.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-056477500 1304280061_thumb.jpg

Wow!

Great info guys. Thanks for taking the time to explain the process. MUCH appreciated :)