I've read about several methods of applying resolene, but do you do anything after it's applied? The best application method I've found so far is to use a wet sponge. Once applied, do you just let it dry or do you rub it to smooth it out a bit? Sometimes my finish comes out smooth but other times it is streaky.

I always go over the piece a couple times to make sure to get an even coat. If it streeks a little buff it. I have not had any problems with the leather I use. Make sure you use plenty on the sponge so it gets a good coat to start with. That way it soaks into the leather.

I cut mine back with water 50/50. Takes an extra coat or two to get a full application but it applies SOOOO much smoother and more evenly with no streaking.

I've just been mixing it half and half with water, and brushing it on using a natural fiber paintbrush. Then I hang it up to dry.

Airbrushes work really well for even distribution. A couple of overlapping passes and it's done. Don't forget to 1. Either clean the AB immediately, or 2. Keep cleaning supplies on hand and get good at disassembling your AB for cleaning.

I've found I get better coverage and a uniform THIN layer that loses the tacky feeling quicker. I did this to a leatherman pouch that is on my hip every day. Three years and counting, the leather still looks good.

I cut mine back with water 50/50. Takes an extra coat or two to get a full application but it applies SOOOO much smoother and more evenly with no streaking.

I have changed to this method as well...I was using it full strength out of the bottle but I was getting streaking (I quit doing that in the mid 70's).....now I need two coats of it b4 I'm satisfied with the finish, but no mo streaking.

I pour a bit on a damp sponge and rub it in. When it dries, I buff with a shoe polishing brush. Next, I apply neutral shoe polish, anf buff again with the brush. I've never had a streaking problem, and am very pleased with the results.

Edited by gregintenn

I quit using the Fiebings Acrylic Resolene and switched to the Angelus semi-gloss acrylic. I started applying with a synthetic sponge that was wet. It worked pretty well but lately I just cut up an old T-shirt and soak it with non-diluted resolene and apply a relatively thin coat. This keeps the airbubble issue down and limits the drips. Most of the time it only takes one coat but I may go over a piece again if I see a few bare spots.

Thanks for all the replies!

I just finished working on a reinforced throat IWB holster, after seeing the tutorial by woolfe in this thread.........http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=22992&st=0&p=147075&fromsearch=1entry147075.

Using the advice you guys gave, I diluted the Resolene to 50/50 with water, and used a damp sponge to apply. I put several coats on and let it dry. The final finish was MUCH better. No streaks at all, just a nice glossy smooth finish.

Again, thanks for all the help!