Dude

Seiko Sth-8Bld-3

Hi all. New to the forum and can't find a thread that fully addresses my questions.

1. I can purchase this machine completely reconditioned with the table, etc. in the $600.00 area.

2. I would be using this machine to reupholster motorcycle seats in vinyl and leather. Note: thick leather such as that used for holsters, etc. would NOT be used. Is this

a decent machine for this type of work or should I keep looking for something else?

3. I know this machine can handle 138 size thread. I have used #69 for my sewing with an old Singer 111w. Exactly what is this 138 thread? Sounds like I should be

using this.

4. Is this really a better machine than the Consew 206RB-5 made in China?

Thanks for any help with this decision. Darryl

Yes,this sounds like a good buy.They take the 138 w/o any problems & you'll also like the larger bobbin.The feet from your 111w wil;l fit on it too.

Also when replacing the bobbin you don't have to pull it up through the needle plate like on the 111w,just leave approx 1" tail of thread put it in & start sewing.

Bob

Hi all. New to the forum and can't find a thread that fully addresses my questions.

1 Exactly what is this 138 thread? Sounds like I should be

using this.

Thanks for any help with this decision. Darryl

Darryl;

Size 138 thread is twice as thick as the #69 thread you are familiar with. It has a 22 pound breaking strength, as opposed to just 11 pounds for #69. Number 138 is sold as bonded nylon, and occasionally, as bonded polyester (for outdoor and under water use). If you want to sew with #138 thread, make sure you buy size 22 needles. Since you are going to sew leather, buy the needles in leather point, not round point.

Note, that you can also sew #138 thread with a #21 and maybe even a #20 needle. These make a smaller hole than the #22 needle, which is the ideal size for hard temper leather. You will probably have good success with a smaller needle in soft leather.

Thank you for the quick and informative responses to my queries. I feel I can't go wrong with the Seiko machine and now fully understand about 138 thread.

I'll keep Sewmun in mind as I need parts/accessories for this machine.

Take care, Darryl

Kia Ora Darryl, how are you getting on with your Seiko 8BlD3, I have just got one today funnily enough I also paid the equivalent of $600 it has a clutch motor but I also got a servo to install on it, so that takes care of tomorrow. Would be keen to hear what and how you are running with it. I make Chaps and Handbags.