Just about all of the big-name holster makers tend to concentrate their offerings on popular handguns that are currently in production. As some handgun models go out of production, those models are dropped from the product line.

Some handgun models are, or have been, so scarcely distributed in the US that holster makers found it impractical to make holsters for those models. This can change.

I have continued to offer holsters for a number of vintage and modern handguns that have gone out of production, but many thousands continue in use. This has provided a steady stream of orders for years. I recently noted two particular pieces that offered some opportunities.

First was the H&K P7 PSP model, a German design in 9X19 mm caliber featuring two unique features, (1) a squeeze-cocking mechanism on the front grip strap, requiring the user to grip the pistol and depress the lever-like device to cock the striker and permit the trigger to release the sear, and (2) gas-operated chamber locking, with a gas vent in the barrel allowing the expanding powder gases to drive a piston that locks the breech until the bullet has left the barrel. The H&K P7 pistols (PSP and M8 variants) were very popular with German police forces, and some were imported into the US, but they were always a pretty high dollar item here so distribution was somewhat limited. This changed last year when H&K took in thousands of police trade-ins, ran them through the factory, imported them to the US, and offered them at reasonable prices in three grades, depending on condition and wear. A year ago the P7's were bringing $1200-plus; the limited numbers recently made available were in the $600 to $700 range, so there was a lot of interest.

Second was the Makarov pistol, originally a Russian (Soviet) military piece and later made in Bulgaria, East Germany, and China. Again, these were quite rare in the US prior to the fall of the Soviet Union in the early 1990's, but that changed as former communist bloc nations started selling off military hardware to raise hard currency. Many thousands were imported from the mid-1990's until fairly recently, and prices were very low. Ammunition was a problem, but that has changed and US makers are now offering some serious defensive loads for the 9X18 Makarov. I bought the Bulgarian "Circle 10" military production piece and I have been quite impressed with it. Overall, a very robust and dependable pistol that is quite usable for discreet concealed carry.

Based upon customer requests I decided to add both of these models to my line-up. As is the case with most smaller semi-auto pistols, holster design requires some thought to maintain adequate room around the grip-frame to permit a solid grip during the draw. Pancake designs need particular attention in this regard, and the squeeze-cocking mechanism of the H&K P7 requires extra attention to allow drawing the weapon without inadvertently cocking the piece prematurely.

The first holster model that I adapted to these pistols was my Enhanced Pancake model, the most popular design in my product line. Below are a few photos showing the results. The H&K P7 holster is a plain, unlined open-top model. The Makarov holster features a slide shield and holster lining.

The word seems to be spreading. As always, dummy guns are not always available, and even when they are it sometimes just makes sense to invest in something that will always have value. I doubt that I will ever regret adding these two to my collection.

post-7487-050747700 1305984681_thumb.jpg

post-7487-016632100 1305984695_thumb.jpg

post-7487-019515900 1305984805_thumb.jpg

post-7487-084433400 1305984817_thumb.jpg

post-7487-091229000 1305984831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lobo

Very nice. Cool to see something actually being made for a Makarov. I have one that has been my carry gun for many years. It was inexspensive, fits in my hand well and is easy to conceal. I have shot well over 1000 rounds through it and have not once had a single jam.

Aaron

Just about all of the big-name holster makers tend to concentrate their offerings on popular handguns that are currently in production. As some handgun models go out of production, those models are dropped from the product line.

Some handgun models are, or have been, so scarcely distributed in the US that holster makers found it impractical to make holsters for those models. This can change.

I have continued to offer holsters for a number of vintage and modern handguns that have gone out of production, but many thousands continue in use. This has provided a steady stream of orders for years. I recently noted two particular pieces that offered some opportunities.

First was the H&K P7 PSP model, a German design in 9X19 mm caliber featuring two unique features, (1) a squeeze-cocking mechanism on the front grip strap, requiring the user to grip the pistol and depress the lever-like device to cock the striker and permit the trigger to release the sear, and (2) gas-operated chamber locking, with a gas vent in the barrel allowing the expanding powder gases to drive a piston that locks the breech until the bullet has left the barrel. The H&K P7 pistols (PSP and M8 variants) were very popular with German police forces, and some were imported into the US, but they were always a pretty high dollar item here so distribution was somewhat limited. This changed last year when H&K took in thousands of police trade-ins, ran them through the factory, imported them to the US, and offered them at reasonable prices in three grades, depending on condition and wear. A year ago the P7's were bringing $1200-plus; the limited numbers recently made available were in the $600 to $700 range, so there was a lot of interest.

Second was the Makarov pistol, originally a Russian (Soviet) military piece and later made in Bulgaria, East Germany, and China. Again, these were quite rare in the US prior to the fall of the Soviet Union in the early 1990's, but that changed as former communist bloc nations started selling off military hardware to raise hard currency. Many thousands were imported from the mid-1990's until fairly recently, and prices were very low. Ammunition was a problem, but that has changed and US makers are now offering some serious defensive loads for the 9X18 Makarov. I bought the Bulgarian "Circle 10" military production piece and I have been quite impressed with it. Overall, a very robust and dependable pistol that is quite usable for discreet concealed carry.

Based upon customer requests I decided to add both of these models to my line-up. As is the case with most smaller semi-auto pistols, holster design requires some thought to maintain adequate room around the grip-frame to permit a solid grip during the draw. Pancake designs need particular attention in this regard, and the squeeze-cocking mechanism of the H&K P7 requires extra attention to allow drawing the weapon without inadvertently cocking the piece prematurely.

The first holster model that I adapted to these pistols was my Enhanced Pancake model, the most popular design in my product line. Below are a few photos showing the results. The H&K P7 holster is a plain, unlined open-top model. The Makarov holster features a slide shield and holster lining.

The word seems to be spreading. As always, dummy guns are not always available, and even when they are it sometimes just makes sense to invest in something that will always have value. I doubt that I will ever regret adding these two to my collection.

I was thinking about the same thing when I was looking at dummy guns. Why not get the off the wall dummy guns because most people are not making holsters for them, guess that is by BLUEGUNS carries both of those models.

Nice holsters Lobo.

You're right about the P7PSP. I picked one up when they first hit the market last year and designed a holster for it. Immediate success and I've sold well over a hundred in the last few months.

I'm sure yours will be a hit there are a lot of those pistols brought over and word is spreading quick about how reliable and accurate they are.

You make a great point... I've been more concerned with getting the "normal" blue guns when I should be cranking out holsters for the P7. I love that gun! There is definitely a strong following for the P7 and I know that finding a good holster was a PITA. That's actually part of the reason I got into leatherworking to begin with... I figured I could make my own instead of waiting 6 + months to get a Del Fatti holster :)

Nice holsters Lobo.

You're right about the P7PSP. I picked one up when they first hit the market last year and designed a holster for it. Immediate success and I've sold well over a hundred in the last few months.

I'm sure yours will be a hit there are a lot of those pistols brought over and word is spreading quick about how reliable and accurate they are.

Actually the P7PSP came back in the marketplace with a huge importation of them approximately 4 years ago.

To date every holster I have made except 2 ( Sig 232 and XD .40) has been for a out of date or not main stream pistol. 1st was for a Bersa Ultra Compact .45, 2nd was a CZ 82, 3rd was for a Sig P6, 4th will be for a 3" Lady Smith .38. Newest orders are for Glocks -19 and 27, a Walther 22 w/ a Silencer pouch. So it has been various. I enjoy the non main stream, here in PA were the Right to Bear Arms is alive and STRONG.

Actually the P7PSP came back in the marketplace with a huge importation of them approximately 4 years ago.

Interesting. Wish I'd have known then.

Didn't start seeing them at the guns shows around here until early last year.

Very cool! Odd, out of production handguns, as well as being left handed, were why I found myself first interested in learning to make holsters. Heres a crossdraw holster i made for a fellow. It holds a 1917 Savage 32.

IMG_1390.jpg

...and a pancake for a CZ 52.

IMG_1273.jpg

Edited by gregintenn

gregintenn, Nice looking holsters. The do look a lot like the "Simply-Rugged" sour-dough design. If that is the case, and I may be barking up the wrong tree, we as leather-smiths need to be giving credence to the originators of the designs we borrow ideas from. If I am wrong, I stand corrrected. Semper-fi Mike

Well, what is there to say except that, as always, your work is exceptional. My work is primarily in the 'niche', as most of my customers are looking for something that they cannot find in the open market. I'm a small fry, as far as business size goes, but I like it that way. Hell, I just might want to go fishing on the spur of the moment, or go shoot a round or two of trap . And, as said elsewhere previously, at my age, nobody expects me to do anything quickly. Great work Lobo. Mike

Edited by katsass

Another niche would be reproduction military holsters. Not for the Maks, I was buying new surplus holsters for $1ea., but items like the 1912 Steyr Hahn . Some of the repo holsters I have seen are lacking in quality.

As to the holsters above, to someone like me they look like any other holster. I couldn't tell a "simply rugged" sour-dough from another style. I do know what sourdough loaves look like though, as I grew up outside of San Francisco :lol:

gregintenn, Nice looking holsters. The do look a lot like the "Simply-Rugged" sour-dough design. If that is the case, and I may be barking up the wrong tree, we as leather-smiths need to be giving credence to the originators of the designs we borrow ideas from. If I am wrong, I stand corrrected. Semper-fi Mike

Sir, Any similarity to anyone's designs are purely coincidence. I simply wrote down what the customers asked for, drew and cut out patterns and made them. I didn't copy anone's design intentionally, nor did I even look for pictures of existing holsters.

Gregintenn, I stand corrected and humbly apologize. I stand by my statement.............they are nice looking holsters. Semper-fi Mike

Please don't apologize. I value every opinion I've received to date from this site. It has been a wealth of knowledge. I thank each of you for your help and the advice you freely share. After I read your post, I googled Simply Rugged Holsters. After a quick look at his site, I do see a resemblance. While I have heard the brand mentioned, I can't say I knew what one looked like before today. Thanks for the compliment, Greg

Edited by gregintenn

I agree on getting the obsolete and making holsters for them. I had a good run on 1907 Savage holsters awhile back, and I did not advertise for them once. It was just a word of mouth thing that kept coming back to me.

When I am sitting at the gun shows, people are always coming up to me, and asking for the most bizzare stuff. At least bizzare in the day and age. Lots of antique autos dont even come close to fitting in a lot of what is commercially available.

Another thing I need to get better at having on hand is left hand holsters for common things.

DM

+1 to the lefty line.

Worked up a mock-up of a new design for a regular customer and fellow club member's Highpower and didn't realize that I had started sewing from the wrong side until it was too late. So, I rolled with the punches and turned it into a lefty. Showed him the mock-up and apologized that he had to envision it as a right-handed holster. He liked the design and asked what I would be doing with the mockup. I said that since it was fully functional, I would finish it up and put it on ebay as a mockup. He said he'd take it for his wife. Another member came over and took a look. Member happened to be a lefty, and asked if he could buy it for himself as he had a Highpower he never got around to getting a custom holster made for. Guess I'll have to put that design into my template library.

I'm so used to not being able to find what I want for the Makarov that I too just built my own....

post-62455-0-68831300-1436453672_thumb.j
post-62455-0-95366800-1436453670_thumb.j

I also wanted to be able to carry three different ways (depending on the circumstances and my mood). This was my first holster (and 2nd attempt, the 1st was too tight so I didn't finish it).