DenverLeather

Table Ideas For Cylinder Arm Machines?

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone is willing to share ideas, pictures, thoughts, etc. on their own standard (or custom) tables for their cylinder arm machines??

My Singer 153 arrives tomorrow, and I'm still debating on picking up a regular industrial table, or building my own!

Any thoughts, as always, would be greatly appreciated!

AB

Edited by DenverLeather

Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (866-362-7397) has cut-out tables and what I would call work station platforms on wheels, for cylinder arm machines. The workstation type has a steel frame on the right side, with a wooden platform on top. The machine bolts onto the left edge of the top and sticks out over the empty space on the left. There is a steel base on the bottom left, containing the pressor foot lift and speed pedals. They are pre-drilled for standard motors and have a long slot for the v-belt. They also come with an accessory drawer on the bottom right edge.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (866-362-7397) has cut-out tables and what I would call work station platforms on wheels, for cylinder arm machines. The workstation type has a steel frame on the right side, with a wooden platform on top. The machine bolts onto the left edge of the top and sticks out over the empty space on the left. There is a steel base on the bottom left, containing the pressor foot lift and speed pedals. They are pre-drilled for standard motors and have a long slot for the v-belt. They also come with an accessory drawer on the bottom right edge.

Sir,

After reading some of your older posts, and seeing your high-regard for Toledo Industrial Sewing, I actually ordered my machine from them!!

I considered the "pedestal" table that you are referring to, but it's $300.... I figured I'd try to design / rig one up, first, before I (inevitably) purchase that table.... In your opinion, should I scrap any idea of building a table, and just order this table from Toledo??

Thanks,

AB

I could never build one right the first second third time.....so it would be well worth the $300 for me....

Misc028.jpg

I could never build one right the first second third time.....so it would be well worth the $300 for me....

Misc028.jpg

Rayban -

I'm more interested in your Border Collie than your machine! LOL

That's a GREAT looking pedestal -- what's the make??

Thanks.

AB

That's a GREAT looking pedestal -- what's the make??

Thanks.

AB

That is the very stand that I was referring to, which is sold by Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

That is the very stand that I was referring to, which is sold by Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines.

Thanks Wiz....and it's an Australian Shepherd.....but he comes no matter what you call him....

Here is pic of my Adler 205 on a stand I built a couple of months ago. I used 40mm x 40 mm square tubing.

/ Knut

post-5173-014363300 1306263256_thumb.jpg

Great looking stand Oldtimer.

My thoughts on these stands are if you have the tools (welder, metal cutting tools, good drills, and the know how) then build your own by all means. If you are interested in learning how to build stuff and have the time then you may as well go about building one since like anything it can be educational. However if you dont have the tools, time, or drive to learn this particular craft (god knows in my case I have enough hobbies as it is) then it just pays to buy one premade.

Its kind of like buying leather working stamps or making your own. If you are skilled enough or wanna learn the craft you can make some excellent quality stamps, however the time and energy and money involved need to be weighed in comparison to just buying the better quality stamps to begin with,

That's a dang nice stand in anyone's book oldtimer. It is functional, stout & pretty to boot.

Like Madmaxx22 just said if you got the time & tools yea . . . do it. However, 300 smackers for a bought & paid for stand isn't bad either.

I've seen them made of wood too; that looked pretty good. They are inexpensive but take a few hours to build.

Just depends on your circumstances I suppose.

Sim

Here is pic of my Adler 205 on a stand I built a couple of months ago. I used 40mm x 40 mm square tubing.

/ Knut

I guess that the OP could buy a standard industrial sewing machine K-legs frame, with a motor pedal mounted to the bottom and also purchase a second, narrow pedal and chain, to lift the pressor feet. Then, he could go to a lumber supplier and have a 20" x 48" x 1.5" piece of fairly hard wood cut for a table and buy some 1.5" wide sticky trim to wrap around it. A saber saw could be used to round the edges and to cut out a big U shape in the center, about 3/4 the way inwards, under where the cylinder arm hangs out to the left. A hand held sander would be used to smooth the cuts, then the trim would be applied all around the table and inside the cut out.

Then, a router with a 1" bit can be used to cut the 1" x 7" slot for the v-belt. Finally, a drill can be used to drill the holes for the motor bolts, the knee lifter chain, and the machine mounting screws.

The entire job can be done for a couple hundred bucks in materials and a couple hundred dollars worth of power tools and bits, if the tools aren't already in his shop.

Or, he could buy the correct half-table on the movable pedestal base, with both pedals mounted, the slots cut, the holes drilled, a parts drawer and maybe a flex lamp and thread stand, for about $300, plus UPS delivery charge.

Edited by Wizcrafts

DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN!

I am more than a simple mechanic/woodworker/welder and my time is worth about $8.HR. I cannot make what I can buy from Bob Kovar, in my wildest dreams!

Buy the commercial unit and not look back at the cost!

DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN!

I am more than a simple mechanic/woodworker/welder and my time is worth about $8.HR. I cannot make what I can buy from Bob Kovar, in my wildest dreams!

Buy the commercial unit and not look back at the cost!

With all due respect, is there another vendor of such tables & pedestal stands?

Sometimes a little competition fuels great products, service & prices...

My time is worth xxx$$$ per hour. If you wish to see the cheapest in the world..have a good journey!

deadsubject.gif

My time is worth xxx$$ per hour. If you wish to see the cheapest in the world..have a good journey!

deadsubject.gif

That doesn't exactly help much.....

Here's my deal - I'm not sure whether I need a pedestal stand, or a table, at this point... So I'm shooting in the dark here, and trying NOT to end up buying 2 tables...

I'm wondering if I bought a "table" (as opposed to a pedestal), if I would be able to make an adaptor-piece (out of wood?), to essentially convert from a "cylinder arm machine" (on a cylinder arm table), to a "flat bed" (by adding that piece to the table) ??

Any help is appreciated......

Signed,

Clueless

Here's my deal - I'm not sure whether I need a pedestal stand, or a table, at this point... So I'm shooting in the dark here, and trying NOT to end up buying 2 tables...

I'm wondering if I bought a "table" (as opposed to a pedestal), if I would be able to make an adaptor-piece (out of wood?), to essentially convert from a "cylinder arm machine" (on a cylinder arm table), to a "flat bed" (by adding that piece to the table) ??

Signed,

Clueless

Buy the cylinder arm table with the flat table attachment!!! Ready made!

I'm done here!

OK!, One last time....!!!!!!!

The pedistal from anybody has a flat-table attachment,

Just man up and buy one!

blahblahblah.gifdeadsubject.gifposter_spam.gif

Signed,

Clueless

the flat table that comes with the stand, option, your choice. fits fine!

EITHER MAN UP AND BUY, or search for eternity!

Her is a a 20th century Norwegian pedestal, next time I will show you a modern one.

With all due respect, is there another vendor of such tables & pedestal stands?

Sometimes a little competition fuels great products, service & prices...

post-10237-034130800 1306386227_thumb.jp

Here is what the pedestal and cut-out tables for Cowboy machines looks like...

post-11118-023212000 1306387701_thumb.jp post-11118-007477400 1306387700_thumb.jp

Signed,

Clueless

DenverLeather,

I think most anyone you'll talk to will recommend a stand.

A stand allows the operator to stand and maneuver odd sized objects like saddles, collars & odd shaped bags or luggage

around under the needle. It's harder to do sitting at a table. That's just me!

All you really need to do is figure out what type of work you'll be doing.

Edited by simran

Since getting a commercially made stand shipped to New Zealand is prohibitively expensive, and I can drive a welder, I've been contemplating making a stand for my 45k (once I've got the damn thing back together again, that is)

An idea that's been stuck in my head for a while is building in the gas prop mechanism from an office chair to let me adjust the height easily. I figure if a gas prop can deal with my fat 110kg butt sitting on it it'll deal with pretty much any sewing machine out there, and they come in all sorts of heights.

Since getting a commercially made stand shipped to New Zealand is prohibitively expensive, and I can drive a welder, I've been contemplating making a stand for my 45k (once I've got the damn thing back together again, that is)

An idea that's been stuck in my head for a while is building in the gas prop mechanism from an office chair to let me adjust the height easily. I figure if a gas prop can deal with my fat 110kg butt sitting on it it'll deal with pretty much any sewing machine out there, and they come in all sorts of heights.

That's an interesting idea!

That's an interesting idea!

considered converting auto hoist/stand to your needs?

I'm not saying there is one near you, but I like to adapt existing devices when possible.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-foldable-engine-stand-67015.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html

Try the base off an old dentist or barbers chair as they will be more stable. I like the office chair strut idea but fear you will bounce as you stitch.