Hadn't been doing much but I always wanted to try this pattern for a shave kit bag. Doesn't really work as well as I'd like, next time I think I'll go to the drawing board to make the top easier to open. Maybe chap leather around the top and thicker, tooling leather to strengthen a base. I don't know. Let me know y'all's experience with these kind of bags or any patterns that are better. This is the one out of Al's cases book.. Thanks for any comment or critique. Later, RW

post-5310-055304200 1307141846_thumb.jpg

post-5310-051526900 1307141862_thumb.jpg

Hadn't been doing much but I always wanted to try this pattern for a shave kit bag. Doesn't really work as well as I'd like, next time I think I'll go to the drawing board to make the top easier to open. Maybe chap leather around the top and thicker, tooling leather to strengthen a base. I don't know. Let me know y'all's experience with these kind of bags or any patterns that are better. This is the one out of Al's cases book.. Thanks for any comment or critique. Later, RW

i think you did a fine job on the bag, did you hand sew the bag, the only thing i would have done different is sew the stitch lenght at no less than 8 stiches per in or 10 per inch if possible i think it would have given it a lot cleaner look. but that is just my personal opion. but still a great job john

RW,

I do quite a few in that type. I use chap leather for the gussets. For the bottom I sandwich some 1/8" masonite between the lining and the tooling leather to stiffen it. I started putting feet on mine after the first couple to keep them up off a wet counter. For the feet I use round 3/4" punchings and run chicago screws through them and the bottom with the screwhead inside the bag.

I love the tooling on that!

i agree with bruce that putting feet on the bag is a good idea i put them on all my purses i build i buy mine at e.c. leather in tulsa they are brass and they have two prongs that just bend over on the inside i also put a stiffner in the bottom of my purses, the only thing i use for a gusset is i have a hide split to 2 to 3 oz for all my gussets. that way the gussett and the tooling leather all match. good job on the bag john

Thanks for the comments. I think the leg idea is a definite for the next one. I used around 4oz tooling leather for the gusset I think. I liked using the tooling leather for it because I decorative cut it with my Dad's initials in it. His main critique on it was that it doesn't open up enough to dig around in, I told him it may break in but who knows. Maybe I'll go with a thinner gusset or a deeper cut for the zipper next time. Thanks again for the ideas. Later, RW

John,

I did hand sew the bag. I was shooting for kind of a buckstitched look but with thread. After finishing, I wish I had made the stitches a little closer. I looked at your gallery, you do great work. May I ask what kind of sewing machine you have? Thanks for the comments, RW

John,

I did hand sew the bag. I was shooting for kind of a buckstitched look but with thread. After finishing, I wish I had made the stitches a little closer. I looked at your gallery, you do great work. May I ask what kind of sewing machine you have? Thanks for the comments, RW

wood, i use a alder 206-64 to sew things with a gussett, and i also have a consew table top machine. i think if you try the brass feet from e.c.leather you will be vary pleased with them,they work great and are easy to install. thanks for the compliment i really like the tooling job you did on the shaving kit john

Looks good Wood!

I've never made a shaving bag, but if I were going to do one like this my instinct would be to make the zip go all the way down to the ends to let it open more easily.

........................ next time I think I'll go to the drawing board to make the top easier to open. Maybe chap leather around the top and thicker, tooling leather to strengthen a base.

RW

thank you for the thread. i've been wanting to make this one, but just haven't gotten around to it. but now i know what to do to make it better.

are you thinking 4-5 oz chap and maybe 7-8 oz tooling leather would make this one right?

Ramrod,

This one was 8-9oz with 4oz gusset. I think next time I may go with a little thinner gullet but I would probably stick with the 8-9oz outside. May go a little deeper with the zipper so it can lay open a little more, but not too much because I wouldn't want everything falling out. Good luck with yours, RW