Sign in to follow this  
acox4t4

Roo Reins Started, What Ya Think So Far?

YEAHAAA You go to the top of the class

Now that is much better :You_Rock_Emoticon: Annette

Cheers

Bevan

Ps ,,, keep posting tho ,,, that might have been a fluke!!!!!!!

Looks much better!

I hate to keep being so critical, but I feel like there is just one small other change I would make and your knots could look even better. There are a couple places where even though you went O2 U2, because things were a little tight, it looks like you went O1 U1. I think the problem is that the foundation of the long knots may not be quite long enough for the number of parts and the width of the string. It is really hard to get it just right, and I still struggle with it. You can go to Wal Mart or a hardware store and buy every size of dowel rod that you think you would ever use for a piece, and tape on foundations of various sizes and shapes, and experiment with different width strings. That way you can get a standard and if you are making a specific size rein and want to use a specific width, you will know what works from the practice. I dont think I would redo these, because they look fine and no one will notice it except other braiders, but we are our toughest critics. I really think that you might be off by just a VERY small amount, so you might even be able to make the adjustment on the remaining knots and you wont notice the difference.

One thing you can also do is tape a foundation for a nose button on a dowel and practice nosebuttons for bosals. Then you can experiment with different string sizes and different interweaves and what not. Seems like its always so much harder to cut a knot off that youve finished because it didnt turn out right lol.

Hope that helps and again it looks MUCH better,

CW

Aggiebraider is right, I didn't see it until I looked closer but there is at least one mistake, maybe two, that I can see in the pictures. I tried to copy the picture so I could show you, because that's how you learn but I couldn't copy your pictures.

I really like to put braided buttons under my buttons. Nothing looks as pretty as layered buttons and I've discovered so many ways to make very subtle changes in the shape of a button. I still use tape for some pineapple buttons though.

Thank you Aggiebraider and Entiendo for noticing those little things, Bevan must need those glasses he was speaking of in another post :devil::rofl: since he didn't mention anything about those. I do wish that somehow I could get you a picture Entiendo to where you could point out those flaws. I must say I've not done alot of praticing on the different knots and lace size. I'm flying by the seat of my pants and hanging on hoping that the ride goes good. Since I do want to be better once I get this project done I will take your advice and pratice on the dowel rod using the left over cutting it down to different sizes. It would make it so much easier in future projects to be able to pull out a dowel rod and know exactly what size lace I need for that knot and project. It might take a bit to do but in the long run I'm sure that it would pay off.

Entiendo I also agree with you on using buttons under buttons to be best. I'm trying hard to count the amount of times I wrap the tape to make them even but I hate that they seem soft, and can some places if you look close can see the tape. I'm diffently learning from this big project.

Now off topic. I'm heading to Cheyenne WY for the Rodeo 24th-28th will anyone be there?? If anyone will be showing off their work ect... I diffently would love to stop by and say HOWDY.

Send me the pictures and I can point out what I see. I'm not sure if it's the same thing Aggiebraider sees. In all honesty though I didn't see anything until Aggiebraider made me look again. I know how bad you want to get it right. I was the same exact way! I spent hours doing and undoing buttons. Keep at it. I'm even at it again with these hobbles I'm making. Trying different braids, string size etc. You gotta love it!

Howdy, Well I think I am FINISHED !!!

Right now I'm thinking on going with chain rein connectors rather then braided ones, and inless you pro's tell me I need more buttons for more weight on the reins I'll be done. The headstall I decided to use a already made leather one and put buttons that match the rein's on them. I'm tossing around taking the leather that goes across the horses forhead off and braiding a strand to put there using buttons to hold it in place to make it hopefully match the reins more but right now I'm undecided on that as well. So depends on what you pro's say to weather or not I am actually done or not but since I want them to work right, look good and hold up I want to show ya what I got now, listen to advice and then continue on if need be.

Thanks for looking and for the comments. post-16420-013083300 1312252914_thumb.jppost-16420-056797800 1312252937_thumb.jppost-16420-032020500 1312252959_thumb.jppost-16420-021439700 1312253004_thumb.jp

if you like the look of the buttons you have then congrats you are done...good job! the original purpose of buttons on romal reins was to create weight to balance a spade bit, which is the traditional final bit for a bridle horse. nowadays its mostly just decoration....

the original purpose of buttons on romal reins was to create weight to balance a spade bit, which is the traditional final bit for a bridle horse. nowadays its mostly just decoration....

That plays a part but the other reason for the buttons is to keep the body of the reins off the horse's neck. Buttons are easier to replace than the body of the reins, so the buttons get the sweat while the body stays cleaner.

Look good! Ride em' then you'll know what to change. That's the plus in making you're own gear.

Since you sent me a PM wanting to know what I saw I worked harder to find a way to save them. I used the first set of pictures because the I couldn't find the mistakes in the pictures you sent me through the PM. So keep that in mind.

reins1 has a red circle around what I think is an unsplit parallel. You have two strings going into the same area.

reins2 is the same red circle with another view and a blue circle where there is a little bite hidden and under both sides of two other bights. Looks like a little loop under 2 of the loops on the ends. Does that make a bit of sense?

reins3 is a better view of the area inside the blue circle. There is also a purple circle of something I can't quite make out. I think it might be where you hide an end, but I'm not sure. If it is an end I would suggest hiding it more toward the center of the knot. And be sure you go under 3.

The red dots on reins3 is something I always struggle with myself, keeping my V's straight. I pointed it out so that maybe you might get in the habit of keeping your foundation straight.

And the last picture, set2, is a set of a pair I made. (the snaps were not my idea and I didn't want them on there) I wanted you see how tight the buttons strings are especially on the ends, or the bights or loops. They are nice and snug right up against the other strings. You can also see that I still struggle with straight V's as well.

post-6663-062330400 1312489476_thumb.jpg

post-6663-096570600 1312489499_thumb.jpg

post-6663-047929400 1312489520_thumb.jpg

post-6663-039346500 1312489567_thumb.jpg

It's just something to shoot for and work on. I hope you don't take offense.

Edited by entiendo

:eusa_naughty: NO Offense taken what so ever THANK YOU so much for pointing out these flaws. That first one that pointed out with the red circle, and at different angles of all the knots I bet you would see it on all them. I'm pretty sure that is going to be the way that I'm ending the knots and trying to hide the end. I'm never happy with it the way that I've been doing it but I've been attempting to follow Gail Hought and I might be doing it wrong but I thought that I was doing it the way that she says. After I have my foundation knot I pull out the standing end (end where I started) and go under one so that it makes it under 3. Then I take the working end and go under one, over one and then try and hide it under atleast 3. But I'm having trouble with it since it seems to me hard to hide it since you go up over one and then take it to the side in the middle of the knot and then under. Looking at the pic's and what you circled I'm almost 100 % sure thats where my knot started and what I'm doing. Anyone have a better way for me to bury the ends?? Or any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong with the way that I understood how I should be doing it using Gail Hought's method?

And Whow, thanks for putting all those red dots in line, LOL looks like my "V" 's had to much to drink and couldn't walk a straight line that day..... I didn't notice it until actually holding it up and putting a straight edge to it. LOL I'll diffently work on that one.

I hope from my errors others will learn as well, I know by looking at all the work everyone else has been posting that its helping me and you all are great for taking the time to take such a close look at it.

I used gails books too. Can you make a pineapple without reading the directions yet? I have another method but once you start the second string you can't really follow her directions anymore.

You are more than welcome. When I was starting there were many there for me. I'm happy to return Karma the favor.

Hi Acox4t4,

Your reins look really cool. As far as burying ends, see Dan Alaska's great tut. He shows tucking the ends a little over half way down the page. I found that tucking the standing end first a BIG help in my knots turning out right.

Type 1, 2 pass PK (from a 7 x 6 turks head)