Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

First Ranger Style Belt

I made this using bridle leather strips from Waterhouse Leather. I made a trial belt with some veg-tan scraps I had laying around to get the strap lengths right. I wanted there to be equal measurements of the billet and buckle straps when the belt was at the middle setting, most that I see are very short on the buckle side.

This one measures 60 inches from buckle to center hole, and was sewn on a Tippman Boss.

The Bridle leather was really nice to work with.

Only thing I will change oin the next one is to slightly radius the leading edge of the main belt body. As you can see on this one, I left it a straight cut.

Hard to take good pics.

Feel free to comment/criticize/question.

Thanks

Ranger-1.JPG

Very nice work. I like the color contrast. The stitches are really clean.

Hey Dan,

Beuatimus!!!!! I wouldn't change a thing. You don't have to build the belt as to how all others build them. Be yourself. Do it your way. As I believe, I wouldn'r change a thing. Semper-fi MIke

Thanks guys. 200 views and only 2 comments makes me think nobody else likes it lol.

I took it to work to show off a bit and got 2 more orders though :thumbsup:

Shooter - no replies can be disheartening when your really proud of a particular project! I think they turned out awesome and you'll be able to sell as many as you would like.

Great looking belt! The only thing that I would change is the keeper that the brown section slides into would be better in brown. In my mind it detracts from the lovely two-tone effect.

Lois

Very nice...looking forward to making my own. How do you like the boss? Have been toying with the idea of buying one.

Jess

Very Nice :thumbsup: I just ordered some horse hide hope my belt turns out that nice.

Thanks everyone!

Great looking belt! The only thing that I would change is the keeper that the brown section slides into would be better in brown. In my mind it detracts from the lovely two-tone effect.

Lois

I kept that in mind for this one. It has a 1.50" main body and 1.00" "billets". Not sure I'm overall as happy with this one as I am the first though. I handstitched the billets and think the flexing makes them look used or something. The glare from the halogen light isnt helping either.

IMG_2980Medium.jpg

Very nice...looking forward to making my own. How do you like the boss? Have been toying with the idea of buying one.

Jess

Jess, the Boss is a good machine compared to handstitching. For doing belts I'd rather have a powered machine though, but it just isnt in the budget unless I start doing A LOT of belts lol. The Boss just about broke the bank when I first bought it, but I'm very glad that I did.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

Thanks everyone!

I kept that in mind for this one. It has a 1.50" main body and 1.00" "billets". Not sure I'm overall as happy with this one as I am the first though. I handstitched the billets and think the flexing makes them look used or something. The glare from the halogen light isnt helping either.

*resurrects an old thread*

Personally I like the second one even better. What materials did you use there? Any horsehide, or all cow? What thickness?

Hi Ethan, both of the belts shown are assembled from the Bridle Leather belt strips from Waterhouse Leather. They are a forum sponsor. The main body I left full thickness and the thin pieces were split just a little. Thanks!

Shooter,

The second belt is a fine looking rig. Good job.

I like it. Are those oval holes? How do you keep them aligned straight? After messing up the holes on the last belt I made, I decided that the next one would be round holes, even though I think oval is better.

Jess,

In answer to your question about the Boss machine....all I can say is save your money and get one of the Juki 441 clones...Ferdco Pro 2000, Cobra Class 4, etc. I know they are expensive but you will end up saving money in the long run. When I bought my Boss it took me over two weeks to master it...and it always had problems keeping tension, stitch length kept changing etc. IMHO it's a boat anchor

Would you be willing to share or sell the pattern I am having trouble drawing and cutting the billets.

Thanks all for the comments and compliments.

steelhawk: The holes are indeed oval, and to keep them lined up requires a lot of tongue biting. It's tough but can be done.

tennoutrider: Your experience with the Boss seems outside the norm. Some of us are just starting out and working off of a very tight budget. In those instances, the Boss is a very useful tool. No need to be a hater.

chapelstone: I drew the billets up in autocad but you could easily do it with a roll of masking tape. If someone tells me how to upload a scaled pic I would be more than happy to.