Sign in to follow this  
Prince

Want To Work On Scrolls

I can emulate existing scrolls, they've been around for ages so there's plenty of reference, but I don't feel like I've ever gained a skill set that would enable me to do interesting free style scrolls so I was wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials or guides specifically for drawing various scrolls.

I can emulate existing scrolls, they've been around for ages so there's plenty of reference, but I don't feel like I've ever gained a skill set that would enable me to do interesting free style scrolls so I was wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials or guides specifically for drawing various scrolls.

There are two books by Ron Smith who is an acknowledged master at drawing scrolls for gun engraving and other metal engraving. Scrolls are scrolls and IMHO can be used in many different applications. I have his Advanced Scroll Drawing and it's good. These are "how to," books and walk you through from the very basic concepts to some real elaborate scrolls.

The bad news is these books are pretty expensive, but if you are serious about learning about scrolls his books are very good.

That is one resource to check out.

Bill

a really cool place that i've found scroll designs (as well as other design elements) is on our own paper money. there are some really neat designs on some of that paper.

There are two books by Ron Smith who is an acknowledged master at drawing scrolls for gun engraving and other metal engraving. Scrolls are scrolls and IMHO can be used in many different applications. I have his Advanced Scroll Drawing and it's good. These are "how to," books and walk you through from the very basic concepts to some real elaborate scrolls.

The bad news is these books are pretty expensive, but if you are serious about learning about scrolls his books are very good.

That is one resource to check out.

Bill

Sounds exactly like what I need, thanks for the info.

Had to wait till I had some extra money but I did finally buy the book, it was rather expensive as far as books go but I can't wait to get it. Looks very promising. Thanks again Bill

Prince was wondering where you got it from. I saw it at barnes and nobles but it was pretty darn pricey. Saw it at a jewelry supply store for pretty decent price but dont know the place and was wondering where you got yours from. Thanks.

Here is a link to the book by Ron Smith Drawing and understanding scroll designs. The best price I have found yet.

http://www.contenti.com/products/books/116-614.html

I hope this helps.

Bill

There are two versions that I've seen. The one you linked is the cheaper first edition. I got the second edition hardback that is supposed to have lots more in it. Think it was like 95 or so after shipping? Can't remember where I got it, bought a bunch of stuff lately. There's a lot of jibber jaber and near sermon in the beginning but a bit in it gets to the design work. I think it will be well worth it.