evandailey

Techsew Ga5-1R Vs. Cobra Class 3 Or Cowboy 3500

I am just getting into producing holsters for sale and am considering investing in a 441 clone machine.

I am impressed with all of the information I have read on both the Cobras and the Cowboys and would love to buy one of those but $2200-2500 is just out of my price range. Then I found the Techsew model GA5-1R for $1250 which is much more feasible for me starting out. But it makes me worry there is something I am missing comparing it to the others, especially since Techsew's 16.5" machine is priced in line with comparable models from the other manufacturers.

I realize the fallacy in shopping to a price point and usually I am adamant about not doing that myself. But when the money is not there, it's not there.

Does anyone have experience with the Techsew GA5-1R compared to the other brands? Will it cost me as much in the long run as the others anyway or will I want to upgrade later? If I was going to wait to spend around $2000 I would just wait until I could afford one of the 16.5" models.

Edited by evandailey

There are some basic differences between the GA5-1R and the Techsew 5100 and other 441 clones.

If you're looking at sewing anything up to 7/16" thick for harnesses, knife sheaths, tool belts, heavy leather work and more, the GA5-1R is your machine. If you are exceeding the 7/16" sewing capacity, you'll need the Techsew 5100 or a 441 clone that can sew up to 7/8".

Hi Evan,

If you need X machine to do your work, then you should buy X + 1 machine. If you buy X machine, you will be using it at the top end of it's capabilities and have no headroom. This is particularly the case with holster makers, they usually try to get by with too little machine in spite of what all the holster pros on here tell them. The right machine is a 441 short arm, or better yet a long arm. The long arm 441 with all the bells, whistles, and attachments is about $2700 shipped. If you have a business, you can take that off your taxes in the year of purchase, just expense the whole thing. If you can't do that, go to the bank and take out a short term loan, $1500 down and $100 a month for 16 months.

If you can't go that route, go to the Marketplace section, where there are a few machines for sale including a Luberto Classic for $2200 and an Artisan 3000 for not much more than the GA5-1R. Call them up and see if they can make a deal, so much down and monthly payments, if they are motivated it might work.

Ask one of the dealers about leasing, it can work. There are many way to skin the cat, and a good dealer will know them.

Art

I am just getting into producing holsters for sale and am considering investing in a 441 clone machine.

I am impressed with all of the information I have read on both the Cobras and the Cowboys and would love to buy one of those but $2200-2500 is just out of my price range. Then I found the Techsew model GA5-1R for $1250 which is much more feasible for me starting out. But it makes me worry there is something I am missing comparing it to the others, especially since Techsew's 16.5" machine is priced in line with comparable models from the other manufacturers.

I realize the fallacy in shopping to a price point and usually I am adamant about not doing that myself. But when the money is not there, it's not there.

Does anyone have experience with the Techsew GA5-1R compared to the other brands? Will it cost me as much in the long run as the others anyway or will I want to upgrade later? If I was going to wait to spend around $2000 I would just wait until I could afford one of the 16.5" models.

I'm in the same boat, I've looked at the same models. The only thing that stops me re: the TechSew GA5-1R is the bottom feed, vs compound or needle feed. Don't like the idea of the feed dogs marking up the leather, even if it is the back. Is there a way to minimize this?

In the Marketplace section, Cobra Class 3, barely used for $1500. How much is a GA5-1R on your doorstep?

Art

Hi Evan,

If you need X machine to do your work, then you should buy X + 1 machine. If you buy X machine, you will be using it at the top end of it's capabilities and have no headroom. This is particularly the case with holster makers, they usually try to get by with too little machine in spite of what all the holster pros on here tell them. The right machine is a 441 short arm, or better yet a long arm. The long arm 441 with all the bells, whistles, and attachments is about $2700 shipped. If you have a business, you can take that off your taxes in the year of purchase, just expense the whole thing. If you can't do that, go to the bank and take out a short term loan, $1500 down and $100 a month for 16 months.

If you can't go that route, go to the Marketplace section, where there are a few machines for sale including a Luberto Classic for $2200 and an Artisan 3000 for not much more than the GA5-1R. Call them up and see if they can make a deal, so much down and monthly payments, if they are motivated it might work.

Ask one of the dealers about leasing, it can work. There are many way to skin the cat, and a good dealer will know them.

Art

Thanks Art. It was one of those things I already knew, but was hoping for once to get the easy answer. Looks like I'll be saving up for a Cobra Class 4.

mncarpenter,

We have a roller foot available that might help make a little less marking on the bottom because it allows the leather to feed through with less drag.

Bob

Something you might look at if you're comparing machines is to see what (on comparable models) comes with it....in a word, accessories. By looking at the total package, not just the machine, you'll find the best deal.

mncarpenter,

We have a roller foot available that might help make a little less marking on the bottom because it allows the leather to feed through with less drag.

Bob

Bob,

Is this roller foot available for the GA5-1R? If so, how much do they cost?

Yes,$65.00

Bob

I have a few questions regarding this topic ...

I am looking at the GA5-1R and the Techsew 3650HD for tack work , Bridles and breast collars and saddle repair . Both are listed on ebay at the same price and both seem to have very similar features but I am not sure which is the best for me ... Any help is much appreciated , I contacted Techsew but no answer . Left voicemail .

Thanks Kirsteen

Hi Kirsten, we have limited office hours today but we'll be back tomorrow morning if you'd like to discuss. Basically the Techsew 3650HD is our upgraded version of the GA5-1R, we added a roller guide, locking casters and the machine is a different color now. It is the perfect machine for tack work.

I will return your call first thing in the morning.

Thanks,

Ron