Sign in to follow this  
mbode

Back At It After Five Years...cuff

This is a cuff I've been working on. Haven't tooled for a few years and finally bought my tools and went to work. Open to suggestions... I really struggle with carving, I've got a good sharp Barry King knife and it helps... but any tips as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated. Since the pic I've antiqued it with a Sheridan Brown.

post-23612-002429000 1312496765_thumb.jp

The picture was a bit big for me, but it appears that you did a good job. Can you resize it and post it again? Maybe about 35% of its current size? Welcome back!

Please reduce your image size, it is impossible to evaluate your work with such a huge image.

ferg

This is a cuff I've been working on. Haven't tooled for a few years and finally bought my tools and went to work. Open to suggestions... I really struggle with carving, I've got a good sharp Barry King knife and it helps... but any tips as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated. Since the pic I've antiqued it with a Sheridan Brown.

Sorry, should have double checked that... let's try this

post-23612-035094800 1312552879_thumb.jp

Nice job, keep at it.

ferg

Sorry, should have double checked that... let's try this

Hello,

I think it looks good, particularly the finishing. The one thing I do notice is that your vine and leaf work is a bit confusing. There are places (like above and to the left of the flower) where the leaves coming off the vine go in opposite directions. The leaves on the inside of the curve, toward the flower, turn in one way and on the outside they are flowing the opposite direction. Also, in the lower right corner the vine flows back and merges with the one leading up to the leaf, but their flow direction is opposite each other. The vines and leaves should flow in a consistent direction, like water flowing from a hose, and lead the viewers eye around the artwork. But aside from that the carving, shading, decorative cuts all looks pretty good. Keep at it.

Bob

The picture was a bit big for me, but it appears that you did a good job. Can you resize it and post it again? Maybe about 35% of its current size? Welcome back!

If you click on the thing that looks like a floppy disk by close it will open in another window and be smaller.

Tech note: You can also hold the Control key and press the minus sign to make a pix smaller (actually the entire page too) or you can hold control and hit the plus sign to make it bigger.