reddevil76

Transferring Pattern

Just starting to learn carving. I have a problem with transferring patterns.

Everytime I transfer a pattern, halfway through, the tracing paper would be too deformed to lay flat after the stylus goes over it. It caves in where the stylus goes over.

The tracing pattern is practically unusable after that.

Anyone got similar experiences?

I actually have had very similar experiences (and I'm sure most have) with transfer film and/or paper. My first question would be do you draw your own patterns? If you do, I've got a suggestion that an old timer shared with me. If you draw your own patterns, and then put them on transfer film, and then trace them onto leather, you may be working too hard. The old timer suggested to me (I draw my own patterns) that if I could draw them free hand on paper, then I should be able to draw them free hand on the leather with my swivel knife. I practiced dilligently on scrap until I felt comfortable, but every Sheridan type floral pattern I do now, I do freehand with my swivel knife right to the leather. Granted, any "oops" that happen can't be erased, but I've drawn a zillion patterns on paper and feel confident when I grab my swivel knife. I will lay out the pattern in my mind, use a wing divider for my circles and then get after it. Just a suggestion that works for me.

I actually have had very similar experiences (and I'm sure most have) with transfer film and/or paper. My first question would be do you draw your own patterns? If you do, I've got a suggestion that an old timer shared with me. If you draw your own patterns, and then put them on transfer film, and then trace them onto leather, you may be working too hard. The old timer suggested to me (I draw my own patterns) that if I could draw them free hand on paper, then I should be able to draw them free hand on the leather with my swivel knife. I practiced dilligently on scrap until I felt comfortable, but every Sheridan type floral pattern I do now, I do freehand with my swivel knife right to the leather. Granted, any "oops" that happen can't be erased, but I've drawn a zillion patterns on paper and feel confident when I grab my swivel knife. I will lay out the pattern in my mind, use a wing divider for my circles and then get after it. Just a suggestion that works for me.

Sounds like the way to go for me...

You can put a coat of lacquer on your tracing paper and that will resist the moisture from the leather from ruining your paper pattern. You can also put a piece of plastic wrap between your pattern paper and the leather to prevent the moisture from wicking. Best to draw your patterns on acetate film then you can transfer to leather without any problems.

Keith

Use Saran Wrap between your paper and the leather to protect the paper from the water. Loose your stylus and use a ball point pen. You will be able to see every line you have covered and it is less destructive. If you do not want to destroy your origional, photocopy it first. Also you can use transparancy fimm instead of paper and you can see what you are doing that way (it is a little thicker than the paper though, so you have to push a little harder).

Aaron

thank you all for your suggestion.

A couple things you can do with paper patterns is to put a piece of self adhesive vinyl shelf paper on the back of paper patterns that you plan on reusing, you can also spray the back of paper with artists fixative, like somebody else said, use a ball point pen to trace the pattern, it's easier on the pattern than most stylus'.

hello

@ leatherookie You wrote:

"Granted, any "oops" that happen can't be erased..."

You can tell me how?

Lutz