cercyonis

Help With First Purchase: Ga5-1

I am so new to this that I'm almost too scared to post. I would like to sew horse tack -- everything but saddles. I found a lightly used GA5-1 for sale for $800 about 2.5 hours away. I'm at least smart enough to know that I should seek advice before making such an investment. Here is a picture of the machine: sewingmachine.jpg

Here is what the seller tells me about it:

"The machine was bought at Bogle Greenwell in Dallas. It is an import but modeled after the adler 205. Has a 1/2 horsepower motor. Have had it for 6 years but has been used very little because I retired. Its a single needle, lockstitch, has a lift of 15/32", 11" arm. Should work on most materials you want to sew Was being used on saddle repairs and custom leather work."

110 clutch motor (1/2 HP) has a switch to change to 220 (I'm not completely sure how this is accomplished)

Would this be a good investment for a total beginner? Like most folks, I don't have a huge budget and this is about as expensive as I could go. I understand that this doesn't have reverse and that a clutch might be a bit tricky at first. I'd appreciate any time y'all can take to give me advice. Thank you.

~Jennifer

Jennifer,

You need to scroll down to the 2nd page of this forum & see what is said about the Ferdco 440 (same machine as your GA-5)

Bob

Edited by sewmun

They are good machines that take large size needles and use heavy thread. The sewing capacity is not quite what one would expect from such a heavy duty machine. Then, there are the aggressive feed dog teeth to be concerned with.

This class of machine is fine for work where the underside is not visible and which does not exceed 7/16 inch thickness. Some GA5 models have reverse and others don't. If this one lacks reverse, you will have to either turn the work around 180 degrees, to backtack, or else bring the final stitch under the leather and tie a knot on the bottom, then trim the excess threads.

The GA5 type machines use a needle system that begins with a #140 (22) and goes up to a #250 (~30). Most folks use #277 or 346 thread with these machines, requiring needle sizes 25 through 27.

You would be smart to ask to see the machine in action. Bring some leather that you want to sew on it and see what kind of job it does. Be sure to observe the bottom to see how badly the teeth mark your preferred leather. Also, ask the seller to sew with heavy thread, such as you might be using. Watch for the leather lifting and smacking back down, as the needle rises. This leads to skipped stitches and a mess under the leather, as the teeth bite into it. The only solution is more top spring pressure, leading to even deeper tooth marks on the bottom.

Price-wise, you are getting a pretty good deal. A brand new machine like that sells here for about $1000 - without reverse, to $1300+ with reverse, with a speed reduce and easy to control servo motor, plus shipping (~$230 to ~$250).

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thanks for the replies. I may wait on this since it has those drawbacks and is kind of a long drive. :)

That's probably a good idea to wait,it's pretty hard to get the marks out sometimes.

Bob

good heavy leather stitcher for a beginner, keep in mind this one doesn't have reverse lever for back tacking. the foot marks on the bottom aren't too bad, most of our cutomers using the Techsew GA5-1R don't mind them since they're using the machine for tool belts, holsters, tack and other items where the bottom side isn't exposed.

if it's in good sewing condition, $800 is a decent price but you'd still have to buy a servo motor and speed reducer to get the most out of it, which would run you another $300 or so. At that point you may as well start looking at a new machine with reverse lever, servo motor, speed reducer, better table and most importantly a warranty.

Ron

Edited by Ronnie