mickt

Clutch Popping Out Problem Fixed

First of all I would like to thank all of you that helped me with the problems I was having with my Consew 226 R. All of you are great in my book, didn't know me and never heard of me until I posted here with a plea for help and you jumped right in to offer great suggestions and ideas.

The machine had multiple problems it seems and now most if not all of them have been fixed. I want to say a special thank you to Bob Kovar of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, the man went out of his way to help me with all the problems the machine had.

I called him so many times he had me on his speed dial and when I called he would answer "Hello Mick" and when I did not call him for a few days he would say " I thought you were mad at me because haven't called for a few days".

When I first bought the machine I decided that I wanted a sewing machine mechanic to go over it and another machine I have. There is a guy that comes around my area from about 150 miles away every few weeks, found out about him from a friend. Called the guy told him what kind of machine's I had and set up an appointment and he made a house call. When he got here and after talking to him it was pretty clear he had not worked on very many commercial machines. I asked him how long he had been working on machines and his reply was about 51 years. Too make a long story short after he left the machine was no better then when he came. He was better off to the tune of $100.00 thou.

Anyway after making the call to Bob and him walking me through different issues with the machine, we were able to get the old gal working like a sewing machine again.

The problem with the clutch popping out was operator error and a little bit machine. The stitch adjuster needed cleaning since it was frozen up. But the biggest problem was I was not adjusting it the right way. I was doing it by the book I thought but failed to read to turn the wheel forward or backward to find the stitch I needed, I was only trying to turn the wheel forward and that was what was popping the clutch, so the clutch was doing it's job.

Again thank you all for the support and help getting this old gal running again. Wife's even happy now that it is running right so I guess I'm out of the dog house for now.

Now it's time to start using and getting use to it, to start making some stuff.

Thanks again for all the help. This is a great board with lots of great people, something that is hard to find in this day and age.

Mick

I didn't know how to adjust that machine that way either.

Luckily there is Bob!! Haha.

Happy sewing.

Sandy.

Good job getting that 226R working, Bob!

Thanks Greg,we got lucky & got er done!

Bob